Covid-19: 10,000 guides out of​ work​ -​ ask government to​ feed them!

webfact

On 3/2/2020 at 10:43 AM, PowerKat said:

None of these tour guides bothered to put money away for a rainy day then? 

And how much do you suppose one of these tour guides earns then?  And how much of that salary do you think they should be putting away?  And how long would that last them if they lost their job?

Work it out.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, saengd said:

Jeeze guy, you talk about what you did 50 years ago when you were young, in another country, this is about here and now in Thailand which is a totally different proposition from what you're talking about.

absolutely NOT different at  all and I wasnt working at 6  years  old, if  anything it was  way worse than trying to get a job in Thailand than  in the UK in 1980

Edited by Chazar

24 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

And how much do you suppose one of these tour guides earns then?  And how much of that salary do you think they should be putting away?  And how long would that last them if they lost their job?

Work it out.  

You're the one who quoted the 70's and 80's in your previous post, did you forget!

And don't play word games with me with the edit function else we're done!

Edited by saengd

11 minutes ago, saengd said:

You're the one who quoted the 50's and 60's in your previous post, did you forget!

And don't play word games with me with the edit function else we're done!

Calm down mister, I have no idea what you are talking about.  I was replying to Powerkat who was saying it serves these tour guides right because they should have saved for a rainy day.  I was asking him how much a tour guide earns and how exactly they should be expected to save.  

Perhaps you confused me for someone else.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Calm down mister, I have no idea what you are talking about.  I was replying to Powerkat who was saying it serves these tour guides right because they should have saved for a rainy day.  I was asking him how much a tour guide earns and how exactly they should be expected to save.  

Perhaps you confused me for someone else.

Sorry, yes I did. That's what I get for trying to post and paint my living room, at the same time!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Darkside Gray said:

The figures don't add up between this and TAT tourist numbers?

TAT's figures are published around the tenth of the month, for the previous month, that means the latest TAT numbers we have are from January. 

The article in the OP is current day and probably reflect the on the ground situation in February.

17 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Those poor dears worked and paid taxes which help provide the medical assistance after your accident without which you would not be here.Obviously they failed to recover your empathy when they recovered your life.

That is the most confusing post any member on here has ever made.

What have tour guides got to do with anything, to do with me?

Edited by colinneil
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Those poor dears worked and paid taxes which help provide the medical assistance after your accident without which you would not be here.Obviously they failed to recover your empathy when they recovered your life.

wow

• Like 1

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

That is the most confusing post any member on here has ever made.

What have tour guides got to do with anything, to do with me?

These are tour guides not tour operators the guides are those that get hired by the tour operators to do the dirty work like ride on the busses handing out consumables,cleaning the busses driving the busses interpreters and local guides in national parks and things of that nature,working people who have families to feed mortgages to pay car loans to repay if you want to lump these people trying to earn a crust in with all the Phuket and Pattaya scammers and bottom feeding sharks go for it.Do lump in all the Thai government workers in your comments about what kents the government is all those uniform wearing government officials and teachers?All the clerical staff?Granted there are some nasty rip off merchants in the tourism industry but they are by no means the majority.There you should be even more confused now.

Edited by FarFlungFalang
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, JASON THAI said:

Why don't they just look for another job 

It wouldn't be hard to find another job paying minimum wage but it would be much harder trying to find something that pays much more than that, the reason they became tour guides in the first place was to escape the minimum wage.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Thank you.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

These are tour guides not tour operators the guides are those that get hired by the tour operators to do the dirty work like ride on the busses handing out consumables,cleaning the busses driving the busses interpreters and local guides in national parks and things of that nature,working people who have families to feed mortgages to pay car loans to repay if you want to lump these people trying to earn a crust in with all the Phuket and Pattaya scammers and bottom feeding sharks go for it.Do lump in all the Thai government workers in your comments about what kents the government is all those uniform wearing government officials and teachers?All the clerical staff?Granted there are some nasty rip off merchants in the tourism industry but they are by no means the majority.There you should be even more confused now.

Before he move to Issan, Colin was a Pattaya guy. 

The Pattaya guy not interst much about tour. Pattaya not famous for tour, is famous for other reason.

Generally speaking. IMO

• Haha 2

On 3/2/2020 at 4:02 AM, saengd said:

That's not really the case. Official tour guides have to undergo training in order to become certified and even then they are only ever certified for a specific territory or region. Testing is extensive and not that easy to pass, applicants are also tested on presentation skills, if they fail any of the tests they don't get certified. The cost of the training and certification, along with re-certification every couple of years, is not exactly cheap. And then the rates of pay are set by the government, they are not exactly exorbitant by any stretch.

Failing that they can just resort to the tried and tested brown envelope under the desk the same as in every other aspect of Thai culture/life/employment/governance/policing ad nauseam...

Edited by mark131v
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, mark131v said:

Failing that they can just resort to the tried and tested brown envelope under the desk the same as in every other aspect of Thai culture/life/employment/governance/policing ad nauseam...

Only an retard would imagine that a person moving from a 300 baht a day job to a 500 baht a day job might have anything to put in a brown envelope in the first place.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, saengd said:

Only an retard would imagine that a person moving from a 300 baht a day job to a 500 baht a day job might have anything to put in a brown envelope in the first place.

Retards eh...

They find a way, have you ever wondered why household debt is so high especially among the people who can least afford it, Bt 1200 a week more on Bt 500 a day thats Bt 4,800 a month and you can buy a lot of somtam for that!!

The brown envelope is the way most everything is done in a place of mass inequality and <deleted> poor education even amongst the so called middle and educated classes such as the present king of the trough and his minions

Corruption is king and if you aint lucky enough to have a relative who has already been at the trough to gain from a bit of nepotism then you go down the tried and tested corruption route, simples...

2 hours ago, mark131v said:

Retards eh...

They find a way, have you ever wondered why household debt is so high especially among the people who can least afford it, Bt 1200 a week more on Bt 500 a day thats Bt 4,800 a month and you can buy a lot of somtam for that!!

The brown envelope is the way most everything is done in a place of mass inequality and <deleted> poor education even amongst the so called middle and educated classes such as the present king of the trough and his minions

Corruption is king and if you aint lucky enough to have a relative who has already been at the trough to gain from a bit of nepotism then you go down the tried and tested corruption route, simples...

"They find a way"

In other words, "I don't have an answer to give you".

Edited by josephbloggs

• 1 month later...
On 3/2/2020 at 10:53 AM, colinneil said:

Ohh the poor dears, no tourists to screw over, so no money, what a shame.

People like them never think about the future, today only, then when things are a bit tight, go bleating to the government,  you have to feed us, tough.

Hmmmm

The UK worker not ask the government help? 

Good thaibash Colin.