Covid-19: 10,000 guides out of​ work​ -​ ask government to​ feed them!

webfact

My heart bleeds, so maybe sidelining the Farangs wasn't such a clever move after all. I'm guessing it seemed like a good idea at the time - the Chinese don't ask too many questions, and the coronavirus thing is a bit of a Black Swan event. Still, here we are, they should've had a tenth man asking awkward questions - what do we do if the Chinese market falls apart? The days of cake are over, bread and butter time for you Somchai.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, nausea said:

My heart bleeds, so maybe sidelining the Farangs wasn't such a clever move after all. I'm guessing it seemed like a good idea at the time - the Chinese don't ask too many questions, and the coronavirus thing is a bit of a Black Swan event. Still, here we are, they should've had a tenth man asking awkward questions - what do we do if the Chinese market falls apart? The days of cake are over, bread and butter time for you Somchai.

Your empathy and compassion for the working people is admirable ????

Quite deserved, they had every opportunity to "elect" a government that would represent them in a fair manner and give them the same opportunities to earn money as their "elected" officials have. ????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

Ohh the poor dears, no tourists to screw over, so no money, what a shame.

Do you think that this could mean that the bargirls will drop their pants, I mean price, I mean both

flirty flirting GIF

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, madmitch said:

Their official salaries make up a fraction of what they actually earn. It's all commission based. Gem shops, latex shops, honey farms, cashew nut farms, entrance fees to shows etc.

I'm referring solely to unaffiliated Thai certified tour guides, certified by TAT. not hotel tour guides, not independents, not tuk tuk drivers etc etc.

Edited by saengd

2 hours ago, colinneil said:

Not really the case?

Please explain what on earth you are on about.

They should have made provision for when times get tough.

When have you ever seen a Thai do anything for the future, never, today is all most care about.

Totally agree Colin,reminds me of my first wife's now dead sister " if i had big money like you i spend it all" and what of tommrow i asked "my pen rai" she replied

• Like 2

1 hour ago, saengd said:

I'm referring solely to unaffiliated Thai certified tour guides, certified by TAT. not hotel tour guides, not independents, not tuk tuk drivers etc etc.

These chinese group guides would be certainly making commission on everything ..as for sure they wont be getting any tips

We used many guides in the business all were rated by TAT to guide throughout thailand but rarely would they get a month fully employed that why some guides work for more than one possibly several companies

Also there's some fantastics guides then theres the others that are decidedly  ordinary  my feeling is this lot come into that category

• Like 1

Everyone needs to get off their high horse.  We are all from countries where, if we have a brain, can make 300,000 baht in a month or even a day if things go well.  Times that by 20-years.  Plus never getting 350 baht a day and trying to support 100 kids (we don't know).....  

Let's not act like we understand poor.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

4 hours ago, CGW said:

Until the rains arrive there will be no work regardless for these people if they do go home, even then its limited, that's why they left! ???? 

Correct, no money, but they will be able to sponge food from the family farms...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, saengd said:

How much could you save from 500 baht a day?

The  Wife managed to save over 200k on LESS  than that when I met her, her Sister probably owed  that! Wife would  do more than one job and bought secondhand  clothes. shared a room. Her other Brothers and Sisters (10) save  bugga  all but always there with a sob story which she ignores.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CGW said:

???? ????, its interesting sitting back listening to those in the Ivory towers preach to the masses how they should be saving, how grand life must be up there, are these the same people that complain about having to keep money in the bank one wonders?

In the West very few people have savings for rainy days, most have huge debt - fact! Yet here in Thailand as it fits what they want to believe the "peasants" should be saving large sums of money from their huge salaries and multiple backhanders they receive.

They can always go back to the farm though, "farm meaning a few rai of dry dusty rice field that may get some rains in two months time, they left the "farm" as it couldn't support them ????

The term for this thinking is "just world fallacy" something we all do, we want to believe that the world is just and Karma deals fairly to one and all, in truth we are far from accepting the cruel reality!

Carry on chaps ????

Speak for yourself, some of us DO  save our entire  lives, some of  us dont  have fantastic  salaries but have been "careful"  havent bought the latest phone etc etc some of  us never  borrowed  anything even for a house in the UK, some of  us  bought repossessed  houses at the right time then spent every  hour of  every day for 2  years as  well as a  full time job in the day doing them up working 14 hours a  day whilst we were still young enough to do it........but I understand how lazy people  have become and want everything today with no  effort.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Chazar said:

The  Wife managed to save over 200k on LESS  than that when I met her, her Sister probably owed  that! Wife would  do more than one job and bought secondhand  clothes. shared a room. Her other Brothers and Sisters (10) save  bugga  all but always there with a sob story which she ignores.

She saved over 200k whilst earning less than 500 per day, I'm sorry but I don't believe you.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PowerKat said:

None of these tour guides bothered to put money away for a rainy day then? 

The median salary level is much lower than western countries so how much can they save? These are mostly unskilled workers.

How much is the median salary for unskilled workers in Thailand versus USA? 

I would guess 10,000 baht per month?

Edited by EricTh

5 minutes ago, EricTh said:

The median salary level is much lower than western countries so how much can they save? These are mostly unskilled workers.

How much is the median salary for unskilled workers in Thailand versus USA? 

I would guess 10,000 baht per month?

THB 8,960.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, saengd said:

Which is why Thailand is littered with used vehicle dealership, there must be a zillion in Chiang Mai alone!

Most are repo'd cars.

Thais buy w/o having a clue how they will pay the monthly installments

Just hope for the best case senario

Glory today....tomollow is a million years away.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, saengd said:

So am I! We had many stay with us and we know exactly how they work. It was very good extra business for a few years; tour groups at the five star, guides at the local guesthouse. They all have their official licences but they're mainly interested in commission, and at the official rate of pay and a non-tipping mentality, who can blame them!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Chazar said:

Speak for yourself, some of us DO  save our entire  lives, some of  us dont  have fantastic  salaries but have been "careful"  havent bought the latest phone etc etc some of  us never  borrowed  anything even for a house in the UK, some of  us  bought repossessed  houses at the right time then spent every  hour of  every day for 2  years as  well as a  full time job in the day doing them up working 14 hours a  day whilst we were still young enough to do it........but I understand how lazy people  have become and want everything today with no  effort.

Well done you! not a "just world" is it :wink:

25 minutes ago, Vigilante said:

Thais buy w/o having a clue how they will pay the monthly installments

Must have learnt from the vast majority of Europeans and Americans or should we ignore that fact?

2020-03-02 16_24_37-Households Debt to GDP - Countries - List - Opera.png

Edited by CGW

These people chose to enter into the gainful Employment of being a Tour Guide of their own volition.

Nobody forced them, they did it all by themselves, knowing fully what they were getting into as a vocational choice.

They entered into it knowing full well that they could make decent money from the Tourists with just a little bit of Training. They also entered into it fully knowing that if the Tourists disappeared, then so would their Jobs.

Or they should have done, therefore they have to take the rough with the smooth.

The Government should not assist these people, because the Floods Gates will just open, and everybody and his dog will have their hands out.