Makro temperatur check , fever = no groceries for you ?

justin case

15 hours ago, Chazar said:

I wouldnt go into anywhere where they wanted to scan me.

Some of you people who would't do this and wouldn't do that.

Many shopping malls have cameras set up discretely and they scan everyone who comes in.

What would you do if you landed at the airport and they wanted to scan you? Turn round and go back?

I was immigration yesterday, they scanned me and my temperature was 37.2. They didn't want to let me in but I explained that my visa extension expired that day and that I had just spent 45 minutes and 250 baht in a taxi with faulty aircon. Would you have refused to go in if they wanted to scan you?

15 minutes ago, fruitman said:

Or the Thai grabbing meat with bare hands without washing them afterwards?

Actually I saw one of the most disgusting actions I have ever seen in Big C on Saturday.

A Chinese (yes he was Chinese) man sticking his fingers into the raw chicken breast ( maybe testing if they were tender), from there he moved to the raw pork and picked up several pieces one after another with his bare hands, back to the chicken breasts, then his mobile rang. Hands in pocket and took out mobile phone without wiping his hands. Put phone away continued with the pork. Then moved to the vegetables and started picking them up. Not once did he wipe his hands.

I tried to talk to the staff about it, but all they did was shrug their shoulders.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, CharlieH said:

They were scanning when I went to our Makro today, BUT, as I got there they just waved me passed ! which was actually daft as I do have a sort of cold right now and may well have had a temperature. Guess farangs are not considered a risk in his eyes...5555

Just see it as a matter of insignificance to the superior race. ????

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, petedk said:

Actually I saw one of the most disgusting actions I have ever seen in Big C on Saturday.

A Chinese (yes he was Chinese) man sticking his fingers into the raw chicken breast ( maybe testing if they were tender), from there he moved to the raw pork and picked up several pieces one after another with his bare hands, back to the chicken breasts, then his mobile rang. Hands in pocket and took out mobile phone without wiping his hands. Put phone away continued with the pork. Then moved to the vegetables and started picking them up. Not once did he wipe his hands.

I tried to talk to the staff about it, but all they did was shrug their shoulders.

It would be disgusting to observe. But at any other time when  you did not I presume you would have no hesitation in purchasing any items as mentioned? Truth is it happens a lot ! Ever noticed that  the majority of  Asians like food that has been  cooked? They are not so  keen on the "fresh" salads!

Not surprised to find folks here who place their personal inconvenience over any attempt for the public good ... I was scanned earlier in the week past. Guard checked and waived me past. I joked that farangs are always hot outside in Thailand. Wonder if that is supportable statistically?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Foghorn said:

Makro ,where you queue to check out at cashier and queue to check again at security 

yes where every single person takes hold of the sales receipt and then hands it to a security person who has come in contact with every person's receipt who shops there and then hands your receipt back to you. 

at least they had hand sanitizer at the exit door for customers to use.

Edited by NCC1701A
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, NCC1701A said:

a security person who has come in contact with every person's receipt who shops there and then hands your receipt back to you. 

Never understood that..no where else does it..what is the point ?

3 hours ago, SteveK said:

I've got my own personal wallet scanner at home. She can see a 1000 baht note at ten paces.

You need to replace the batteries in that one because mine can do it a 100 metres

2 hours ago, petedk said:

Some of you people who would't do this and wouldn't do that.

Many shopping malls have cameras set up discretely and they scan everyone who comes in.

What would you do if you landed at the airport and they wanted to scan you? Turn round and go back?

I was immigration yesterday, they scanned me and my temperature was 37.2. They didn't want to let me in but I explained that my visa extension expired that day and that I had just spent 45 minutes and 250 baht in a taxi with faulty aircon. Would you have refused to go in if they wanted to scan you?

Unless they checked your armpit 37.2 is not considered a fever. To turn you away for that is ludicrous.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Bloody stupid idea.You want to stop people shopping because they have a temperature?FO! 

It's not so much that they don't want to stop YOU shopping, it's more that they want ensure you don't make other customers sick so that THEY will be back shopping at a later date.

Expect to see similar checks at Cinemas etc in the not too distant future.

Edited by emptypockets

1 hour ago, johng said:

Never understood that..no where else does it..what is the point ?

Global house,Thai Watsadu also do it. The point is loss minimisation, also known as shoplifting or theft.

The checkout operator could be in on the act. Not unusual to see many small retailers buying in bulk for their village shop at Makro. Could easily steal goods in cahoots with a relation working the checkout.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

It's not so much that they don't want to stop YOU shopping, it's more that they want ensure you don't make other customers sick so that THEY will be back shopping at a later date.

Expect to see similar checks at Cinemas etc in the not too distant future.

It is ridiculous though; this virus can be transmitted by people who are asymptomatic!

7 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

It is ridiculous though; this virus can be transmitted by people who are asymptomatic!

Can also be transmitted by people with symptoms! Perhaps they view doing something is better than doing nothing.

I got scanned on arrival at a domestic airport in Thailand but not on departure, which I found puzzling since if I did or did not have symptoms of the virus I could have infected the whole plane anyway. As could any other passenger. It would have made more sense to check before departure.

Edited by emptypockets

2 hours ago, wwest5829 said:

Not surprised to find folks here who place their personal inconvenience over any attempt for the public good ... I was scanned earlier in the week past. Guard checked and waived me past. I joked that farangs are always hot outside in Thailand. Wonder if that is supportable statistically?

Thai Administration shoot and kill student protesters in the name of public good that is also an inconvenience.Temperature checks are about as useful as a turd on your windscreen.

Edited by FarFlungFalang
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, anfh said:

As it is their own staff, I wonder what they will actually do if you fail test ? Just telling you to go away is not really a good idea if you actually have virus. 

They will quarantine you inside the produce section of course 

14 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

Can also be transmitted by people with symptoms! Perhaps they view doing something is better than doing nothing.

I got scanned on arrival at a domestic airport in Thailand but not on departure, which I found puzzling since if I did or did not have symptoms of the virus I could have infected the whole plane anyway. As could any other passenger. It would have made more sense to check before departure.

I was Also scanned on arrival not departure which I found to be incredibly backwards for the same reason. 

Entered at DM in BKK no scan. Got off the plain in Mae Sot and they scanned me before I walked out of the airport. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

Global house,Thai Watsadu also do it. The point is loss minimisation, also known as shoplifting or theft.

I've never been to Global House..but my local Thai Watsadu  don't do it  nor do Homemart,Homepro,Hardwarehouse,Tesco,BigC,7/11,Family Mart  etc etc..Makro in London don't do it   but apparently Walmart in the US do. :wacko:

If I've got this virus I have to go home and self isolate not allowed to by food and water just wait in my self isolation and die of thirst and starvation what a great fking plan,and some people think this is an inconvenience because I've got a normal flu with a temp.All these stories come from the internet without any means to verify and the world loses it's collective minds in the name of "the common good".Well you can stick what you call "common good" where the sun don't shine sunshine because it's neither common nor is it good.

Edited by FarFlungFalang

20 hours ago, Chazar said:

I wouldnt go into anywhere where they wanted to scan me.

I was temperature-scanned at my forehead in Big C yesterday - took one second - why the objection?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ChrisKC said:

I was temperature-scanned at my forehead in Big C yesterday - took one second - why the objection?

If you had a higher than normal temp (regardless of wether you have covid 19 or not) you can't buy food or water,does that seem fair to you?This will remain until they get this under control in a year or two.