Free masks being distributed to people

snoop1130

3 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I saw that promised 7/11 distribution in a news report here the other day also. Believe it was supposed to start this week/today/Monday.  But after that report, have seen/heard nothing further about it.

Also just a few days ago a report from the gov't. there was no shortage of masks now suddenly there is. 

7 hours ago, Airalee said:

I haven’t been able to find masks around Phra Khanong either.  Every pharmacy has a sign up saying “no masks”.  I thought I read something about 7-11 starting to carry them but...nope...mai mee.

My partner lives in Chiang Mai. Daughter is in university in Bangkok. No masks available in Bkk so mother made some (best effort) and mailed to daughter.

The son is a Grab driver in CM but had to stop because there are no customers.

Now let's see if I've got this right.

1. Many authorities, worldwide are saying that this little to be gained by the general public wearings masks.

2. Hospitals in Thailand are very short of masks and staff could be at risk when treating covid 19 patients.

3. The government are giving away free masks to the general public.

Ah huh!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Now let's see if I've got this right.

1. Many authorities, worldwide are saying that this little to be gained by the general public wearings masks.

2. Hospitals in Thailand are very short of masks and staff could be at risk when treating covid 19 patients.

3. The government are giving away free masks to the general public.

Ah huh!

The better question to ask is, why are masks needed and necessary for medical staff who may come into contact with infected people.... but supposedly not needed for the general public who may come into contact with infected people while on BTS, MRT, ARL or in other close quarters situations?

My answer is the need and appropriateness is the same, unless you assume that the general public is too stupid to learn and follow the proper wear, fitting and hygiene protocols associated with the masks. I dunno about others, but I think I have the capacity to understand and follow such things.

So for me, these kinds of public statements by the medical authorities come down to a simple reality -- there's a severe shortage of N95 masks, and they feel the medical workers need them more than the general public does. And in many cases that might be true... But not when you're in Thailand awash in foreign tourists from CV outbreak centers like China, Japan, Korea, etc that the Thai govt. has done nothing to curtail.

18 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

Meanwhile that damned foreigner the US Surgeon General has posted a tweet on the subject:

https://mobile.twitter.com/surgeon_general/status/1233725785283932160

Another case of Gov lying.  Oh the masks don't work for regular folks but if they buy the mask's we won't have masks to protect our health workers. Are we different from them? It will protect them but not us?

• Like 1

On 3/3/2020 at 1:01 PM, Tony125 said:

Another case of Gov lying.  Oh the masks don't work for regular folks but if they buy the mask's we won't have masks to protect our health workers. Are we different from them? It will protect them but not us?

Exactly, it's all a question of math.

While not perfect, even surgical masks make sure you get LESS viral load. The more viral load you get, the more likely are you to be infected. One single virus doesn't infect you, many will however. If a mask keeps 90% of virii load away - that definitely helps.