Video: Three kids on a bike going through a red light in north east Thailand

webfact

2 hours ago, petedk said:

Strange headline. I see motorcycles with 2 or 3 people on running red lights very often.

It wasn't until I read the story that I realised that there was an accident.

Yeah - you should come to laos where the kids who are not even teenagers yet get to drive around with at least 3 to a bike. Slammed into the door of a pal's rented pickup a few weeks ago while passing on the inside on a roundabout (go figure!) and sped off, leaving he cost to the driver of the pickup.

2 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

It seems that he/she pulled the front brake that caused the bike to drop.

Yes, I agree. I'm sure that many motorcycle spills like this are the result of panic braking. I've learned, over many years that maneuvering out of trouble is often the best way.

It's saved me a few times since riding here and in this situation a slight deviation to the right was all that was needed. Emergency braking should be a last resort. But what would they know at 13 years!

Edited by Moonlover
  • Like 2

The arguments i have had with mine over stopping at zebra'a nearly ran some over once when they ran for it and she drove the car in the direction they ran thinking she would be driving round them. Always the same argument cannot stop cos somebody might hit me from behind!

• Haha 2

Given that the red light is facing the camera I take this as the single rider guy ran the light.

Difficult to decide with all these "Thailand is bad" threads whether we are supposed to take umbrage at the red light runner or the three on a bike  

Edited by VocalNeal

10 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Given that the red light is facing the camera I take this as the single rider guy ran the light.

Difficult to decide with all these "Thailand is bad" threads whether we are supposed to take umbrage at the red light runner or the three on a bike  

As far as I can see, yes the left to right road was on a green, bikes from top were turning left. The kids were on the main road as was the single guy on the bike. It was HE who turned across the illegal kids. 

3 hours ago, steve73 said:

It's not clear how long the light had been red for the kids going straight on (who were clearly in the wrong), but it looks as if the light had only just turned green for the guy turning right, and he was away a bit quickly - clearly without checking for anyone jumping their red.  He is partly responsible.

A green light should only ever be considered as a "proceed with caution" especially here in Thailand.

See it here quite often in Isaan, where motorbikes, waiting at a light, will jump ahead and proceed a couple of seconds before the light turns green for them, just to get a slight head start. Of course, then there are those who pull out from side-streets/smaller sois onto maid roads without looking, just totally clueless. (Don't get me started.)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, steve73 said:

It's not clear how long the light had been red for the kids going straight on (who were clearly in the wrong), but it looks as if the light had only just turned green for the guy turning right, and he was away a bit quickly - clearly without checking for anyone jumping their red.  He is partly responsible

You mean as in, the 3 kids are only part at fault because the light was only LITTLE BIT red?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Proboscis said:

Yeah - you should come to laos where the kids who are not even teenagers yet get to drive around with at least 3 to a bike. Slammed into the door of a pal's rented pickup a few weeks ago while passing on the inside on a roundabout (go figure!) and sped off, leaving he cost to the driver of the pickup.

Don't need to go to Laos to see that. Pre-teens, three to a bike is quite common here in lower Isaan. Some kids don't even look to be 10 yrs old yet. Just typical lazy-@$$ Thai parenting.

A farang here in town was waiting at a U-turn when a drunk cycle rider drove across traffic and slammed into the left-front of his truck, as he was completely still. Cops come and basically say, "You farang, you rich, you pay." He then bought a dash-cam to provide proof for any potential repeat. Less than a year later, same situation but different location/U-turn and he gets slammed into the back of his truck by an unlicensed teen. Same situation. Farang pays. He's now added a rear-facing cam.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

No I think you've got the angles wrong. I agree the red light does look to be at a funny angle.

But move on to 46 secs it's clear that the traffic has just got a green and the the lad starts his right turn at that point. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, moe666 said:

How do they say they ran a red it sure looks like they were on a green and the guy making the turn turned in front of them. Unless there is another view

Like I've just said above, there is another view at 46 secs and it's clear that the lad had a green.

6 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Like I've just said above, there is another view at 46 secs and it's clear that the lad had a green.

Exactly. It is also fairly standard here that after the traffic straight through has a red light first the traffic turning right gets their green light, followed by the side street. So not only does the vdo indicate this, it is also the sop.