Internet in the villages

Delman15

We live in a small village 18km outside of Udon and about 300m off the nearest road.  We have TOT fiber optic strung to our house and have the 150mbps package for 590 Baht per month.  Our speeds are consistently over 100mbps, day or night.

We're currently visiting our daughter in Texas.....she lives in a major city and subscribes to Spectrum for 100mbps package.  I've measured her speed three times since we've been here.....it's never over 30mbps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Talk to all the providers and see if any of them will run u a cable in (@what price?) ..anyone else near u looking for wi-fi ?

If you are getting a good phone signal then u might get 4G on your phone. 4G on phone is good enough for Netflix ..use it many times when travelling .. also link phone to TV ..

All the best ..

Edited by JoeMc
Typo error
  • Like 1

we are 25 ks from Prasat .use true speeds r great the only time it seams to slow down is before school time & after still a lot faster then the <deleted> we have in oz

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

Agreed-my internet services are far better in my little village outside of Ubon Ratchathani than at my alternative address in Australia-and much cheaper too!

My son was gobsmacked when he experienced the download speed on my budget 3BB connection in my GF's village - twice as fast, one-third of the cost in Oz.

The OP might just be unlucky - I've seen fibre optic cable being rolled out in Baan Rak Thai. That's about 40 km from Mae Hong Son, as far out in the sticks as it is possible to get.

9 hours ago, Tayaout said:

He is very unlucky if no fiber internet is available. 

Do you really think fiber or even a reasonable fast internet is available everywhere out in the sticks? Most of the Thai still uses mobile data. 

1 hour ago, Max69xl said:

Do you really think fiber or even a reasonable fast internet is available everywhere out in the sticks? Most of the Thai still uses mobile data. 

I don't know. Did not go everywhere in Thailand but I live 3h from BKK and 1.5h from the closest supermarket. I called 3bb and the next day they installed fiber internet. Coverage seems better than what I saw in rural Canada, USA and Germany. 

We live about 75 km north of Surin in the real sticks, very small village, but last year TOT came with a fiber optic cable. I had 200/50 about 1300 Baht/month, about 6 weeks ago I changed to a newer promotion 500/100 MB for 690 Baht/month. Mostly I get about 580 MB down, because we are the only user in our village. People here only need to be connected with their smart phones. I cannot complain. Definitely better than back in the west.

Edited by Dario

19 hours ago, Odin Norway said:

SImcards.Unlimited use.A.I.S True.All the big ones have it.Charge from the app.I can have 50-60Mb speed on a good connection.No problem to share to many devices.

How much are the 50-60 Mbps connections?

I'm currently using 10Mbps AIS prepaid-sim connection for 200 baht/month and this is truly unlimited of the amount of data I use per month. 

Pretty great deal imho.

10 hours ago, stouricks said:

I am 35km from P'lok in a small village where only 3 houses have internet.

I have 3BB 400/400 fibre to my house, now re-allocated to 600/200. Brilliant, no problems and only Bht 749 a month. Compare that with the ad on UK TV for say Virgin or Sky......nearly 40 quid for 50mb/s.

No one actually needs to pay those prices. Prices are negotiable in the UK.

I pay £20 per month to BT for phone line and 55/19 Mbps connection. Still too much I imagine you say. ????

1 hour ago, Max69xl said:

In my experience fast internet is available out in the sticks, we are 60km from our main city, we got connected via a dish to a TOT tower that is a couple of hundred m from our hose, then about a year ago it was changed to fibre, also from TOT.

Mae Kasa where my girlfriends family is from isn't that far from phitsanulok and they have fast internet there. Faster than I've found in Mae Sot or Tak. 

Some places like mae usu have no internet though and my data only works in parts of the village. 

Try a few Sim cards and carriers and see what produces the best signals because it really seems to vary 

2 hours ago, Max69xl said:

I've come across remote villages in northern Thailand with fibre internet connection.  Well off the beaten track.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, bartender100 said:

Thailand have made gigantic strides in their country wide roll out of fast internet, try rural Norfolk in the UK miles behind in fibre and super speeds. (Boris has promised to fix this)

In rural North Suffolk, 1Gb FTTH lines will be available in 6 months. Currently can get 76Mb on FTTC.

I live in a rural area and I am still using TOT's dish on a pole in the front of our house,TOT will not put a cable in soi ,no one uses TOT ,I could get 3BB ,they have a line in front of our house .

But with 10MB/516KB,for 266 baht/month ,never any problems.

13 hours ago, bartender100 said:

Thailand have made gigantic strides in their country wide roll out of fast internet, try rural Norfolk in the UK miles behind in fibre and super speeds. (Boris has promised to fix this)

And in Norfolk ,18 mile south of Norwich  I can not even get a mobile phone signal.

When will Boris fix that.  

• Haha 1