Regular police show up at my house

On 3/4/2020 at 3:08 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Are you sure that is a good idea?

The police never visited me at home but they stopped me many times on my bike (for not riding on the left lane). Normally the conversation is very friendly and sometime we even joke with each others.

I don't say let them do anything they want. But I also don't think it is a good idea to make enemies out of them.

I have never had any altercations with any police all the time I have been here, but I have had two with IOs, and the boss backed me up both times.

8 hours ago, SteveK said:

I can't see how refusing to comply with a request from the police or immigration, or even insisting on photographing them or, quite ridiculously asking them to speak to your lawyer, will achieve anything other than make your life more difficult in the long run. We are guests in Thailand.

I doubt they are particularly keen on coming to ask you something, just following orders, so just get it over with ASAP.

"We are guests in Thailand". Oh Steve, imagine a sensible poster like you coming away with that one. We have to do 90 reports like criminals, so why do you think we are guests?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

For what it's worth I read a while back on a TVF post that it is the local cops jobs to confirm that they have been to your house, e.g. knowing that you reside there in case you passed away so that they can notify the embassy, and something on the lines that they can be audited and if they don't have the proof to satisfy an audit they get shifted or demoted, that said I am also in Issan and have never had a visit, but the cops are in the next village less than 400 metres away and know that I live here as I have a distinctive vehicle, plus they also know the wife's family. 

There is an overstayer up the road, but mums the word ????

Live in Tha Lang, Phetchaburi with Thai wife.  The local police took our pics and pics of our ID's and writes info into a journal notebook of sorts.  He said they keep records of all the residents in our town.  He said its in case something happens to the house or persons in it. 

We live in a rural area and the police station is only a minute away. They know me and even ask me to help with their computers. Nothing threatening around here. One policeman even salutes me when he rides by.

Personally, I wish these guys were aggressive and hand out speeding tickets.  

• Like 1

On 3/4/2020 at 3:03 PM, Tagaa said:

No crime, no disturbance. I was taking a nap when all hell breaks loose with the dogs.

Not sure why the location makes a difference, but it's Issan, not in a city.

Nobody drives my truck but me.

I had this done to me in my village in isaan when i lived there 6 years ago.. The village police went to every farang in the village.. They said they wanted to know what farangs lived on their patch.. No big deal but would of been easier to just ask Imm police.

This used to be a regular thing in our small town and usually on a change of Colonel in the Police station. Go round and meet and greet the farangs etc.

On the last visit they all came around, about five policeman, took photos of our car and motorcycles,  explaining to my wife it would help if something ever happened to me.

When the new Police station opened a few years back now, myself and wife, along with two other farang couples were invited to the grand opening of the station.

I sat on the table with the provincial Judge and chief prosecutor, who incidentally both spoke excellent English. So it was kind of interesting.

On 3/4/2020 at 5:37 PM, spidermike007 said:

Well, I did get a good tip from a friend, who is a CHP officer in California. He told me if you can get a policemen to laugh within the first minute or two, they will rarely write you up. The job is so tense for them, that a little bit of levity goes a long way. My favorite line is, "sorry officer that I am late. I got here just as fast as I could". Usually it gets a chuckle. Of course a different type of humor would have to be employed here.

If you go way back to one of your posts about  male/female relationships you will see that I was a firm supporter of your "stand your ground" philosophy.   And I do practice what I preach  ????

As for cops here in Thailand I just never seem to feel threatened.  Was just stopped today, with my old pickup loaded with <deleted> from a place I was cleaning up.  Almost made it through but the last brown suit came trotting across ready for some action  55   Asked me if I had papers for the

rack on back of the pickup ( a common source of fine).  I said yep.   Spoke a bit and he said

"you must be here a long time.   sure you would have a thai license."   I was going to show him

and he waved me on with a mai pen rai.   

I have done away with the "humor"  when dealing here.  Just not necessary with the cops I meet.