Thailand's foreign retirees see their good life slip away

webfact

On 3/5/2020 at 3:58 PM, Assurancetourix said:

Not only british ; every people from " EU-27  " have lost more than 30% since about 10 years .

Even Norvegian people lost much and yet they don't have euro currency 

The Canadian dollar has also lost 30%+

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kevvy said:

I am OK now, decided to sell my home here in Chiang RAI 7 months ago, not you normal Thai home , it is a quality luxury  home .Last week had customers come and put on a large deposit , and at the same time wanted to buy my car as well . Plans are happening now for my wife and I .Did not think it would sell so quick as it is a "farang style home "10 years is enough being here time to go home when the flights start and borders open .Tired of all the B/S in this country

I think many of us just tire of the place around the 10 year mark, it was 10 years 11 months for me.

My wife when we moved to Thailand from Singapore forecasted 10 years. Wise woman

We sold all our rental condo's in BKK a couple of years ago, which was probably good timing.

Our house we keep as our vacation home, and I sincerely doubt we could have sold it for a fraction of what it cost

• Like 2

On 3/5/2020 at 1:02 AM, RJRS1301 said:

My personal concern about keeping the 800,000 in the bank, is not that I cannot access it,or afford to lock that amount up, but if Thailand decides to change the laws during a time of unrest, and  acquire the funds of farang and order us from the country, then we are royally screwed.

That is all some people have for security.

They cannot touch your bank account, Citibank anyway.....

On 3/10/2020 at 2:47 AM, Max69xl said:

The cost when an agent is needed depends on which requirement you don't meet. It can cost from 5k to 25k. 

Even if meeting requirements, and you are sitting in front of an IO and she's had a bad day and doesn't like what you are wearing, YOUR extension may not be smooth. With an agent, all 3 of you will be smiling and   'see you next year'  

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

I think many of us just tire of the place around the 10 year mark, it was 10 years 11 months for me.

My wife when we moved to Thailand from Singapore forecasted 10 years. Wise woman

We sold all our rental condo's in BKK a couple of years ago, which was probably good timing.

Our house we keep as our vacation home, and I sincerely doubt we could have sold it for a fraction of what it cost

We did not lose any money on our sale as it is on 2.2 rai on main highway just near white temple.

• Like 1