Canceling travel plans?

49 minutes ago, transam said:

Would you agree that the spread of this virus from China, that has spread worldwide, is mainly via air travel...?

Yes,

And cruise ships and almost anywhere with large numbers of people in a confined space including markets, airports, stadiums.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Scouse123 said:

Yes,

And cruise ships and almost anywhere with large numbers of people in a confined space including markets, airports, stadiums.

And immigration

• Haha 2

On 3/5/2020 at 10:17 AM, Nakmuay887 said:

I can't give a responsibile answer as I'm not married with kids etc, but would you guys be postponing holiday plans here if you WEREN'T already here? Or is it business as usual? Several of these people would be coming with younger children and their families. 

Thoughts? Concerns? 

I would not, my Scandinavian home country is relatively 4-5 times as dangerous, counted on registered corona virus cases compared to number of inhabitants; i.e. Thailand seems 4-5 times more safe.

Also, Thailand ranks in Top 6 on the WHO list for countries best prepared for handling epidemi/pandemi, actually higher on the list than my home country, which is known for an excellent health care system.

COVID-19 seems to be only dangerous for sick or elder people, often with other deceases reducing efficiency of their immune system; most of the fatal cases are in average around 80 years old, and more males than females (I read that average age for all fatal cases is 81 years).

Children seems not to be hit, or hit very mild, and younger people recovers. The latest WHO report (news article from March 4) said that there might be 10 times as many infected with SARS-CoV-2 (Corona virus) as registered, as many infections are so mild that people dont get sick, or don't get sick enough to be noticed as corona virus victims. The recorded little over 3 percent fatality might, based on that, rather be around 0.3 percent, and thereby in level with a normal influenza epidemi; between 290,000 and 690,000 people die every year from influenza – about 3,000 died in two month from COVID-19.

If you are healthy and not in a risk group, or high risk group, would you cancel your trip because of an influenza epidemi?

• Like 1

On 3/5/2020 at 4:35 PM, from the home of CC said:

big insurance are going to have a field day with rejected claims out of this mess..

Insurance companies will never pay out if they can possibly get away with it. My motorbike 1st class insurance is going to stop as my bike will soon be five years old, but it will not stop me going on my road trips with only the minimum insurance.

I have paid thousands over the last five years with no claims, is it any wonder I am so bitter against insurance

companies? Sorry about going a bit off topic with this.

• Like 1

I nor my younger daughter (11) have not seen my eldest daughter (23) who lives in the UK for two years. I and my younger daughter have advised her to postpone her trip in Easter until the danger is passed. It is both a sensible and advisable action to take as you are taking no chances with your family or loved ones being infected and not contributing to the spread of the virus. I believe that the selfish money orientated decision to cancell of compulsory

quarantine of individuals from the dangerous countries will have a very detrimental negative effect on Thai people and will cost more monetarily and in lives.

1 hour ago, transam said:

There is always a first time for flu, the same as Dengue.....:whistling:

Getting the flu, and/or suffering from it, is dependent on your immune system. In the case of Dengue, it is dependent on the luck of being bitten by the right/wrong mosquito, and nothing to do with how great or weak one's immune system is. Getting dengue does not even provide any further immunity. Fighting dengue has nothing to do with the production of antibodies against it. It "merely" ravages one's liver, and explodes the majority of red blood cells in one's body. It is a different can of worms, but I mention it because it is far more "more brutal" on the body, and unlike the flu, no amount of care to keep your immune system functioning optimally has any effect on whether you "get it" or not. I am not susceptible to colds or flus, but you are, by admission, so yes take care, of yourself, and don't attempt to project your personal situation upon others. Many human being are not entirely retarded, believe it or not, and many of them know their own body's idiosyncrasies, including their strengths and weaknesses. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AlienHermit66 said:

Getting the flu, and/or suffering from it, is dependent on your immune system. In the case of Dengue, it is dependent on the luck of being bitten by the right/wrong mosquito, and nothing to do with how great or weak one's immune system is. Getting dengue does not even provide any further immunity. Fighting dengue has nothing to do with the production of antibodies against it. It "merely" ravages one's liver, and explodes the majority of red blood cells in one's body. It is a different can of worms, but I mention it because it is far more "more brutal" on the body, and unlike the flu, no amount of care to keep your immune system functioning optimally has any effect on whether you "get it" or not. I am not susceptible to colds or flus, but you are, by admission, so yes take care, of yourself, and don't attempt to project your personal situation upon others. Many human being are not entirely retarded, believe it or not, and many of them know their own body's idiosyncrasies, including their strengths and weaknesses. 

What a silly post.....Because you have never had any of the "strains" of flu, that are with us every year, you are a rare bread that is immune....

Regular flu every year kills hundreds of thousands of folk, and guess what, they don't halt flights, they don't shut down ANYTHING...

With this bug they are shutting down stuff, halting flights etc, etc, because the death toll could escalate over a period, yet you and others think, NO PROBLEM........ Daft folk.....????

• Like 1

3 hours ago, emptypockets said:

I'll be flying to Thailand internationally and then flying domestically next week. I'm not concerned. 

Flying to LOS in April and I'm not going to worry about it. IMHO this whole thing is overhyped by the media which in turn has the politicans panicking and trying to be seen to do something. The mortality rates from what I understand are incredibly low and those that have passed away seem to be (on the whole) people with underlying health issues. I will take sensible precautions if I feel unwell like self-isolation but I am not going to let this ruin my life.

If the UK Goverment advise against travelling then I will follow their advice.

I am more concerned about driving on the roads in Thailand around Songkran.

Edited by Chelseafan
  • Confused 1

50 minutes ago, khunPer said:

I would not, my Scandinavian home country is relatively 4-5 times as dangerous, counted on registered corona virus cases compared to number of inhabitants; i.e. Thailand seems 4-5 times more safe.

Also, Thailand ranks in Top 6 on the WHO list for countries best prepared for handling epidemi/pandemi, actually higher on the list than my home country, which is known for an excellent health care system.

COVID-19 seems to be only dangerous for sick or elder people, often with other deceases reducing efficiency of their immune system; most of the fatal cases are in average around 80 years old, and more males than females (I read that average age for all fatal cases is 81 years).

Children seems not to be hit, or hit very mild, and younger people recovers. The latest WHO report (news article from March 4) said that there might be 10 times as many infected with SARS-CoV-2 (Corona virus) as registered, as many infections are so mild that people dont get sick, or don't get sick enough to be noticed as corona virus victims. The recorded little over 3 percent fatality might, based on that, rather be around 0.3 percent, and thereby in level with a normal influenza epidemi; between 290,000 and 690,000 people die every year from influenza – about 3,000 died in two month from COVID-19.

If you are healthy and not in a risk group, or high risk group, would you cancel your trip because of an influenza epidemi?

Again if you really believe the current figures ?? 
One of the best prepared countries? Maybe on paper. But what if the beep hits the fan ? 

3 minutes ago, Swimfan said:

Again if you really believe the current figures ?? 
One of the best prepared countries? Maybe on paper. But what if the beep hits the fan ? 

Or Tsunami, or an asteroid hits, or whatever. If it does hit the fan them we have deal with it. I'd be more concerned travelling out of Thailand to the west rather than travelling in.

I know, and can understand, that people don't believe the official figures, and I'm sceptical myself. However Thailand is a very digitally connected country and if the situation was many times worse than the official figures it would be all over social media. I'm not seeing that occurring just yet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, emptypockets said:

Or Tsunami, or an asteroid hits, or whatever. If it does hit the fan them we have deal with it. I'd be more concerned travelling out of Thailand to the west rather than travelling in.

I know, and can understand, that people don't believe the official figures, and I'm sceptical myself. However Thailand is a very digitally connected country and if the situation was many times worse than the official figures it would be all over social media. I'm not seeing that occurring just yet.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, AlienHermit66 said:

As you are immune to all naughty stuff, don't bother reading this......

Have a trip late March planned and paid since December.

Decided as long as I ain’t got it, I’ll go. Have a house rented, (private, not AirBnB) so IF I have to quarantine for 14 days at any stage for whatever reason, it’ll not be too bad. Got friends who can wave to me when they leave food parcels and water at the gate 555.

Also covered at work if I can’t return (sick pay). Might have to do home office if I get back and then get symptoms. If I get symptoms before I leave LOS then I’ll have to stick it out till OK again. Covered by insurance and sick pay.

Here at home ahead of the trip, I’ve cancelled all ‚unnecessary‘ activities, like English classes, gym. Got tickets for Underworld in 2 weeks, wanted to see them for ages, won’t be going.

Have to work though. Company is providing disinfectant at entrances. Also sick pay from first day off now even if you only suspect symptoms. Major precautions because we’re an international ‚people‘ organization. Mix with others a lot, have lots of visitors, have a lot of ‚reps‘, have some large offices with up to 30-40 working at a time.

If I get Covid-19 before I leave the insurance’ll cover the flight cancellation.

Otherwise it’s a non-cancellation ticket. Rebook yes, but cancel no.

Lufthansa will refund/free rebook if they cancel my flights.

I’ve spoken to Lufthansa and insurance company. Also read the fine print.

If Thailand suddenly turns out to have widespread C-19 before I leave, but Lufthansa’s still flying, I’ll just rebook for later in the year and enjoy 6 weeks holiday at home. I’m worried that if it is widespread Thai health services, including private ones like Bangkok Hospital, won’t be able to cope.

We’ve got quite a batch of infected here in Germany as well, but despite flaws here, health services are better equipped and funded.

I’m mid-60s, but fit and healthy so not worried about actually getting it.

But who knows?

Edited by BusyB
removed a silly sentence

How many of the identified cases of COVID-19 Who travelled on a visa attended a VFS Global Bio-Metric data collection centre in Asia? These centres are a serious risk for the contamination and transmission of the virus. Over 1000 people attend these centres daily to record visa applicant's bio metric data, (Akin to an airport lounge, check-in desk or a cruise liner) These centres are outdated and unnecessary as most applicants hold an e-passport where this information is already recorded. Overcrowding, lifts, waiting rooms, document handling and the finger print scanners are all threats of transmitting the decease. It is incumbent on government to review these centres and close them down under the circumstances. All documents can be submitted online including identity verification,

CLOSE THEM DOWN

2020-03-07 (2).png

On 3/7/2020 at 2:26 PM, Bundooman said:

And then, tracking down all those people who have been in contact with those who sat within one metre of the Italian.

and then, tracking down all those …………………!!

It's gone beyond the ability of tracking, even if some governments keep trying. A guy in NZ went to a concert with ?thousands of people- no chance of tracking all of them.