Canceling travel plans?

Question for you fine gentlemen,

Ive had quite a few people from Canada and the states contacting me about how it is here with Coronavirus. Because it's slow season now many come for boxing from the west because it's cheaper. 

I can't give a responsibile answer as I'm not married with kids etc, but would you guys be postponing holiday plans here if you WEREN'T already here? Or is it business as usual? Several of these people would be coming with younger children and their families. 

Thoughts? Concerns? 

3 minutes ago, Chivas said:

Stay home period. Will not be booking next trip until this is under control. Not bothered about catching covid-19 as the chance of that virtually non existant but disruption from it is now immense.

Abort until vaccines are produced.

Don't hold your breath. Will take about a year to allow for testing after development, which is supposedly about 2 months away.

• Like 2

My 14 year old niece is afraid and easily agrees not to go too far past school... no shopping malls etc...

Personally, I would be more afraid of the potential consequences of travel then the virus, but the thought of getting on a crowded airplane is never appealing... 

and think about this, a 29 year-old Italian man who arrived in Thailand on March 1 and was diagnosed with the virus at a hospital in Chonburi province on March 2 is in quarantine. Everyone sitting within one meter of this guy on the plane will be tracked down.  

1 minute ago, kenk24 said:

My 14 year old niece is afraid and easily agrees not to go too far past school... no shopping malls etc...

Personally, I would be more afraid of the potential consequences of travel then the virus, but the thought of getting on a crowded airplane is never appealing... 

You will probably see the car coming that runs you over, but you will not see Corona coming to run you over...????

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, transam said:

You will probably see the car coming that runs you over, but you will not see Corona coming to run you over...????

The potential travel consequences I was refering to were being quarantined or having flights cancelled... not everything is about cars... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Don't hold your breath. Will take about a year to allow for testing after development, which is supposedly about 2 months away.

Having seen some live video from Walking St at 1am this norning Pattaya hasn't got 2 months let alone 12 months for testing

Death spiral at the moment

I'm not quite sure whether you think everyone on here is a gentlemen, or you only want replies from men???

Anyhow I would not be so worried about visiting Thailand so much as having to spend time in airports and on the plane, for that reason alone I have cancelled my proposed travel plans.  I personally think it better to stay home than take the risk.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

big insurance are going to have a field day with rejected claims out of this mess..

Not really, most hospitals are covering up cases of Covid-19 by diagnosing them as something else such as common flu or pneumonia. Pneumonia cases in Thailand have tripled in the last couple of months.

Unlikely to have "Covid-19" on your insurance claim.

Kind of the flip side here....We're planning to RV the US from August to January, we usually go out for 4-6 months & changed up this year to get lots of snow/winter.....

I'm delaying any ticketing until about May & make a judgement call then....

Once on the open road there we can effectively avoid problem areas & crowds.....

The plane ride would seem to be the biggest risk to me.....I've had pneumonia twice - almost didn't make it the 2nd time - Dr said they "stole me from the grave"......

I'm guessing it could/might even be safer to stay here.....

It seems like the numbers are being suppressed/under reported, but if this goes big through the free world the numbers won't be able to be held down....

Edited by pgrahmm

I'm based in Saudi and was planning to meet my family coming from Thailand in Bahrain and then travel onward to the UK. 

Been monitoring the situation closely over the past week. At first I was only concerned with whether the family could enter Bahrain but as things have developed the Saudis have put more and more restrictions in place. 

Over the past couple of days with the big spike in UK numbers, I've now decided to cancel the trip. Couldn't take the risk of being away and then the Saudis changing the rules about re-entry. I work in a military environment and having to go to a 3rd country for 14 days after being on holiday would not go down well. Also a PITA, and increasingly difficult to find somewhere virus free to stay for 14 days. 

End result. $400 down on flight refunds, and about £300 down on hotel costs. Wife and kids upset as they were looking forward to the trip. Had elderly mother crying on the phone earlier when I told her the news. 

Just can't take the risk of getting stuck, or being unable to come back. 

Looking at the numbers across Europe, its going to get a lot worse before it gets better. 

Won't be going anywhere for a while. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bermondburi said:

I'm based in Saudi and was planning to meet my family coming from Thailand in Bahrain and then travel onward to the UK. 

Been monitoring the situation closely over the past week. At first I was only concerned with whether the family could enter Bahrain but as things have developed the Saudis have put more and more restrictions in place. 

Over the past couple of days with the big spike in UK numbers, I've now decided to cancel the trip. Couldn't take the risk of being away and then the Saudis changing the rules about re-entry. I work in a military environment and having to go to a 3rd country for 14 days after being on holiday would not go down well. Also a PITA, and increasingly difficult to find somewhere virus free to stay for 14 days. 

End result. $400 down on flight refunds, and about £300 down on hotel costs. Wife and kids upset as they were looking forward to the trip. Had elderly mother crying on the phone earlier when I told her the news. 

Just can't take the risk of getting stuck, or being unable to come back. 

Looking at the numbers across Europe, its going to get a lot worse before it gets better. 

Won't be going anywhere for a while. 

Good decision.

• Like 1