COVID-19: Half a million people visited Thailand from severely affected countries

rooster59

4 hours ago, Proboscis said:

In fact, this is part of the strategy that is being employed in the UK - try to delay the level of infections until high summer.

Holland tries to do the same....

But I think it's impossible to delay. It's spreading like wildfire all over Europe now.

3 hours ago, Isaan sailor said:

Welcome back, Traubert.  We haven’t heard from you lately.  So what’s your take on the real situation in Hubei?  Does your government really tell us the true numbers?

It's not my Government. I took a month off in Thailand to check on the sales of adult diapers. Very healthy. The sales not the users. Seriously I was in Thailand. Flew back Friday night.

Hubei is still deep in the clarts but only to 25% of the extent it was a month ago. The onus is now on ongoing control.

They don't tell 'you' anything, they tell their people and you just overhear. Fudge the figures and they'll get found out in nano-seconds and they really don't want an angry population.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Soikhaonoiken said:

This is very scary news.... ????

Why is it scary did you meet all these people and how many actually were sick. I didn't meet any of these people, no problem.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, fraggleRock said:

Its SKY News, so my answer is no.. not scared at all.

Sky News, but government experts and Heath Minister giving the figures.  I did the math, they haven't said the final "dead"numbers.

5 hours ago, mfd101 said:

There have been reports here of something like 3000 people in Thailand suffering from something called 'viral pneumonia'.

But the testing system hasn't shown them to have CV, because only 2 or 3 tests are conducted a day.

So that's alright then. No need to panic.

How anyone looking at the graph in this article thinks it looks normal is a bit odd. Maybe Mr Klassen has never spent much time in LOS or is on the government payroll. 

https://nucleuswealth.com/articles/is-thailand-hiding-covid-19-cases/

"It is unclear, but it looks as if these are patients who have tested negative for COVID-19."

This is the worst thing - thousands of people with severe symptoms yet we don't even know if they have been tested. Until it is "clear", we must be prepared for the worst. 

Edited by chang1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Was just reading in between the lines, China is not sharing whatever developments it has with the rest of the world , for instance a new PEP (Post-Exposure Prophylaxis) drug was discovered by them for helping protect healthcare workers against contracting the Covid-19 disease (not curing or treating) called Arbidol  that is only available in China and Russia, checked online and saw all stocks in Russia bought up since February! I really am scared for myself and my family as I think the situation in Thailand is going to be far worst!  Check this out..https://www.thailandmedical.news/news/breaking-coronavirus-research-shows-that-arbidol-could-help-in-post-exposure-prophylaxis-pep-of-covid-19-transmission-among-healthcare-workers

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Clearly you have never been to Australia in Jan Feb and even March. Oz folk would come to Thailand for cool change.

70+ cases OZ population 25mill. Oz

far less tourists than Thailand. Australia has no land borders.

Thailand ~ 50 cases....Yeah right!

Covid-19 seems comfortable moving about in Italy right now. Hardly summer weather. Perhaps covid-19 is visa exempt.

Last month or so where alot of the cases in Aus are the weather has been quite cool. Melbourne and Canberra for example its hardly been blistering summer weather. 

1 hour ago, DefaultName said:

I've been watching Sky News from the UK and it's scary.  Figures from the government's own experts and the Health Minister;

80% of the population will get it, but most cases will be so mild that they won't even notice, a smaller number will get sick with flu-like symptoms and get better, around 1% will die.

1%, not too scary, right?

UK population is about 70 Million.

80% of that is 56 million.

1% of that is 560,000.

Dead People.

Thailand has a similar population number to the UK but health care is inferior.  Yes, I know that there are many excellent hospitals here, but most Thai's will stay with family, so spreading it wider and faster.

Scared yet?  Me too.

The UK Minister for Health has a history degree,

You think Anutin is unqualified?

6 hours ago, Huckenfell said:

It is all to do with temperature, putting it simply, Thailand is too hot ( over 27 Cel ) for the virus to thrive

Yes I forgot, Australia is freezing this time of year.

4 minutes ago, mngmn said:

Yes I forgot, Australia is freezing this time of year.

Point to note though. 50 of the cases in Australia has all recently been in Wuhan, China, Japan or Iran. Local "spread" is only around 18. Hardly a crazy explosion of cases like in Italy or Sth Korea

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JeffyInBkk said:

Was just reading in between the lines, China is not sharing whatever developments it has with the rest of the world , for instance a new PEP (Post-Exposure Prophylaxis) drug was discovered by them for helping protect healthcare workers against contracting the Covid-19 disease (not curing or treating) called Arbidol  that is only available in China and Russia, checked online and saw all stocks in Russia bought up since February! I really am scared for myself and my family as I think the situation in Thailand is going to be far worst!  Check this out..https://www.thailandmedical.news/news/breaking-coronavirus-research-shows-that-arbidol-could-help-in-post-exposure-prophylaxis-pep-of-covid-19-transmission-among-healthcare-workers

3000 medical staff in China have been infected and 8 have died.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Many if not all governments are trying to play it down. Singapore seems to be one of the only shining stars where they opted for transparency from the get-go. It'll likely save them a lot of grief down the line.

Exactly! The Singaporean PM actually went on TV to admit and explain the issue, told people not to panic, presented facts on how to handle the issue, what the government is doing and then called for everyone to fight the issue together. Thailand? Deny and tell bare-ar$ed lies and continue to do so until run the lies run out.

13 minutes ago, Dutyfirst said:

You really think its 50,000 in a country where facebook is the most used in the world and how much Thai's love to gossip and people arnt out and about talking about how their family members have symptoms and not getting tested ect?  Even in China where everything is controlled heavily by the govt much more than it is in Thailand, there were still doctors coming out on social media expressing concern and asking for help. Do you really think Thai doctors are so morally ill that they would stand by and let this get swept under the rug? Do you think all of the Thai nurses and staff in hospitals would all keep their mouths shut? 

Chinese are way more rebellious than Thais. 

In China, there are regular, often violent, protests, here and there, which the government does its best to smother. 

Meanwhile, Thais are among the most compliant and docile people in the world. 

All wearing uniforms, they respect hierarchy and wouldn't dare oppose its diktats. 

Thais love to gossip, but more about the latest lottery winner than about serious issues. 

Have you seen Thais coming against official declarations that there is no prostitution in Pattaya? 

They don't care, it's not a "sanuk" issue. 

Finally, it all boils down to testing... no or little testing translates into no or little cases... 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, moe666 said:

Why is it scary did you meet all these people and how many actually were sick. I didn't meet any of these people, no problem.

How do you know you have not met any of them? Have you also not had any contact with people they could have infected? What makes you think you will never meet someone that became infected in the chain of transmission months or even years from now? You maybe Okay but what about friends and family, especially those in at risk groups who could die from this lack of  containment?

Where I live (in the UK), there are 2 confirmed cases. I don't think I have had any contact with them but I do not know. At least I can be confident that they are unlikely to be infecting anyone else near me now. Until the daily new infections are going down this is something to be wary of. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dutyfirst said:

Point to note though. 50 of the cases in Australia has all recently been in Wuhan, China, Japan or Iran. Local "spread" is only around 18. Hardly a crazy explosion of cases like in Italy or Sth Korea

Singapore? Malaysia? Maybe those countries are lying about the numbers being much bigger than they really are.

So Thai to turn some random characteristic of Thailand into a virtue. Could equally be Some Tum, Paala, because country was never colonised or simply because 'Thailand number one'.

3 minutes ago, mngmn said:

Singapore? Malaysia? Maybe those countries are lying about the numbers being much bigger than they really are.

So Thai to turn some random characteristic of Thailand into a virtue. Could equally be Some Tum, Paala, because country was never colonised or simply because 'Thailand number one'.

Singapore has 27 local cases which 20 of were one cluster in a local church from a total of 100 something cases. Malaysia has a similar number.  Both these countries first cases were back in January.   So when you compare this with Sth Korea and Italy and Iran who exploded above a 1000 in such a short period of time in comparison. Questions need to be asked is are Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore ect all lying about the numbers. Are is heat and humidity a large factor in viral spread

6 hours ago, Huckenfell said:

It is all to do with temperature, putting it simply, Thailand is too hot ( over 27 Cel ) for the virus to thrive

Famous last words . RIP.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, DefaultName said:

I've been watching Sky News from the UK and it's scary.  Figures from the government's own experts and the Health Minister;

80% of the population will get it, but most cases will be so mild that they won't even notice, a smaller number will get sick with flu-like symptoms and get better, around 1% will die.

That's the worst case scenario merely for planning.

They actually make proper plans over in Europe and always work on the assumption that the worst case will happen, the worst case scenario in a plan will almost never happen, in fact I don't think it's ever happened.

• Like 1

Some posts containing links to unapproved YouTube sources and the replies have been removed. 

A post with a Twitter link has been removed as this is a forum, not a Twitter site. 

A post commenting on moderation has been removed. 

6 hours ago, KKr said:

people are used to those numbers, so no one cares and news about that does not sell well. 
however, something scary does sell newspapers ????????????

Just to underscore that, on flu:

https://www.who.int/en/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/influenza-(seasonal)

Illnesses range from mild to severe and even death. Hospitalization and death occur mainly among high risk groups. Worldwide, these annual epidemics are estimated to result in about 3 to 5 million cases of severe illness, and about 290 000 to 650 000 respiratory deaths.

In industrialized countries most deaths associated with influenza occur among people age 65 or older (1). Epidemics can result in high levels of worker/school absenteeism and productivity losses. Clinics and hospitals can be overwhelmed during peak illness periods.

7 hours ago, rabas said:

Do you think when an infected person with 390C fever sneezes a droplet into your 370C nose or eyes the 270C air will kill it?

You are right of course but maybe? the virus survived a shorter time on any surfaces with temperatures like 300 than in lower temperature, I said maybe?

By the way, it would be not bad news for all of us here.

This being said I do not believe the figures for Thailand anyway ????