Metal Detector

Looking for a metal detector. I do not want to have to physically go to BKK and as far as I know only one place in BKK has one, a Radio Shack and I want more options.

Anyway, if anyone has any information that can help me please pass it on.

Thanks,

M

I have ordered electical items similar to this from e bay. most of it comes from Hong Kong and arrives in a few days. only a suggestion but i have had no problems. Just had a quick look here is a sample postage cost is to Thailand

"FORTY-NINER" METAL DETECTOR (METAL TYPE & DEPTH) - £49.99

£15.84 postage

Allround Metal Detector Best Treasure Finder !!!!

Last finding gold ring in spain !!!!!

- £19.99

£19.99 postage

From Germany

Motion Metal Detector TREASURE HUNTER DETECTORS

-

£34.00 postage

£129.90

See description

From Germany

Professional Metal Detector with LCD Display - £49.99

£22.00 postage

Edited by hecky

If your goal is to enjoy some time beach-combing (hunting for lost coins, jewellery, etc. on the beach), sorry to spoil your fun but you'll first need to get a proper visa and work permit for that.

If your goal is to enjoy some time beach-combing (hunting for lost coins, jewellery, etc. on the beach), sorry to spoil your fun but you'll first need to get a proper visa and work permit for that.

You need a work visa for poking around in the sand? What if he just wore a shirt that had "BOMB DISPOSAL UNIT" written across the back? Maybe they'd leave him alone then?

Edited by koheesti

e-bay is your best bet dont go for a cheap one though as you will just dig up ring pulls all day long in the world of detecting cheap is not cheerful and be careful when you use discriminate knock out ally and you lose gold and silver when using lower end models also get one with wet sand mode i would be intrested to hear how you get on as i used to go detecting alot in the uk and thought about starting again , iv seen thais using them in pattaya do you realy need a wp for this hobby????????? more info please :o

You need a work visa for poking around in the sand? What if he just wore a shirt that had "BOMB DISPOSAL UNIT" written across the back? Maybe they'd leave him alone then?

Another newbie :o

e-bay is your best bet dont go for a cheap one though as you will just dig up ring pulls all day long in the world of detecting cheap is not cheerful and be careful when you use discriminate knock out ally and you lose gold and silver when using lower end models also get one with wet sand mode i would be intrested to hear how you get on as i used to go detecting alot in the uk and thought about starting again , iv seen thais using them in pattaya do you realy need a wp for this hobby????????? more info please :D

I doubt it :o

Looking for a metal detector. I do not want to have to physically go to BKK and as far as I know only one place in BKK has one, a Radio Shack and I want more options.

Thanks,

M

I've two home made metal detectors that me and the wife have used on the beaches of Phuket for the past 4 years. I can let you have the circuit diagrams by PM if you've a knowledge of electronics - will cost about 500 Baht to construct.

Geoff

If you order electronics from abroad mail order please remember the import duties can be extremely high, sometimes 100%+!!!!!

Get an invoice stating it's ex dem or reconditioned for a much lower figure (which ofcourse it must be or else you will be breaking the law) :o

ok ok green around the gills thats me i only ask because one time i went to tunisa and they went mental at the airport because my detecter has a spider coil and the box can be hip mounted the thought it was a sat phone and i was a spy in the end had to register it with the local police and show it to the police when i left the country :o

I've two home made metal detectors that me and the wife have used on the beaches of Phuket for the past 4 years. I can let you have the circuit diagrams by PM if you've a knowledge of electronics - will cost about 500 Baht to construct.

Geoff

They are fairly easy to build > DIY Metal Detector

Geoff

They are fairly easy to build > DIY Metal Detector

Here's a photo and circuit diagram for the ones I contructed:

modified_original__mine_.pdf

post-30543-1176011632_thumb.jpg

Nice one geoff - all parts easy to get. Do you have a pcb layout, if not I may do one if anyone is interested and post it here.

I've no PCB, instead I used normal strip 'Vero' board. A proper etched board would be wonderful if you could do the job?

The metel detectors work really well and are great fun on the beach - although we've never found anything worth much, some old Thai Satang coins were of great interest. We mailny pick up beer bottle tops and 1 Baht coins!! :o

post-30543-1176012611_thumb.jpg

Edited by geoffphuket

I've no PCB, instead I used normal strip 'Vero' board. A proper etched board would be wonderful if you could do the job?

The metel detectors work really well and are great fun on the beach - although we've never found anything worth much, some old Thai Satang coins were of great interest. We mailny pick up beer bottle tops and 1 Baht coins!! :o

No problem, about an hour's work - do layout all the time, this one is simple. This has me interested now in building my own. :D Looks like it has a lot of entertainment value, especially with kids.

when on the beach i try to get close as i can to the waters edge and when the tide goes out keep to where the water was waist deep as this is the best place to look for rings etc because as you go in and out of the sea the change in tempreture shrinks your fingers slightly also a good tip is to go down the beach and check out where the most people sit then go back later alot of rings are lost when applying sun block as well hope this helps ,did 4 years on benidorm beach

No problem, about an hour's work - do layout all the time, this one is simple. This has me interested now in building my own. :DLooks like it has a lot of entertainment value, especially with kids.

The missus has become completely addicted – If yours is anything like mine, the kids wouldn’t get a look in!

She’s in depression at the moment ‘cause she’s expecting our second ‘home destroyer’ and isn’t able to use it.

I could probably make one but am too "kee kee et" to do it! Somebody make me one and I will buy it.

Regarding buying one off ebay, when I have my mother send me things in packages there never is any sort of import tax if she wraps it in box and sends herself. However, when she sent me 2 pairs of underwear and 2 shoes through UPS, I had to 3,000 <deleted> baht for tax.

Thanks for all the info everyone and when I find 1 million 1 baht coins I'll throw a party for everyone!

Mafaso

• 1 month later...

Hello, I am new in this forum, however, the interest in having a metal detector caught my attention. as I bought a new metal detector from the states with import taxes paid in Thailand.

Somehow, I never found the intended time to use it upcountry or on the beaches. I intend to sell the unit. It is the Garrett GTI 2500 with two standard search coils and the Treasure Hound Eagle Eye for searches at deep ends.

Please let me know if you are interested. Its a great unit but unfortunately my business travel schedule does not give me time to use it as I wish.

If you have further questions, you can ***phone number removed per forum rules--please PM the poster****

Theo

Edited by sbk

• 2 weeks later...

By the way, as a related matter, I have a hand-held metal detector, similar to the ones used at the airports that I bought new and never used. It is at my home in Phuket, so anyone in Phuket that might need that (maybe night club owner or something) please PM me.

• 4 weeks later...

Nice one geoff - all parts easy to get. Do you have a pcb layout, if not I may do one if anyone is interested and post it here.

Sorry for the delay in getting this done, really busy at work for the last several weeks. Anyway, I posted the information in the technology forum for the PCB (in a .pdf file) to download.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=127531

Thanks,

M

buy one off the airport secutiry guard give him some money to lose it.

i went through the metal detector the alarm went off. searched me let me go. went through again becuase i forgot to buy buy ticket at the counter s had to go out and in.

they found an electric stun gun on me.. which was in my pocket the first time.

they told me it was not a problem as long as i stuck in my other back if it had not been checked in. truth was i forgot i had it on me becuase i was ina rush to pack.

then i went through the next detecor and the nice woman frisking me found a knife in my pocket. that i had also forgot about.

she actually appoligies to me and ask if she could keep it.

i was like of coarse back inthe u.k i would be in a 6 month strect. he they appoligied to me lol.

if you were wondering why i was carry these items. i had an electric stun gun in my money back becuase i lifted 400 000 baht in cash from the bank and they were not exactly suttle about how much money i was walking out the door with infront of all the other customers.

so it was up to me to provide myself with as much personal security as possible. which wasn;t much.

i told the airport staff this and it made perfect sense to them. they had no problem.

each man for himself

Edited by BigC

• 3 years later...

Killjoy, how may immigration inspectors do you see on beaches ???

Wot a plonker, detect away.