Government looking at ways to lower public electricity bills

rooster59

3 hours ago, pdtokyo said:

Rooftop solar is a no brainer, mega in Oz but i'm amazed at the near-total absence of PV in Thailand ... maybe there are solar farms hidden away somewhere but rooftop? can't see it at all.

Rooftop solar is a very low-hanging-fruit sort of project (i gather Thai government is partial to low-hanging-fruit) ...

(1) Set up a simple-ish rebate scheme (copy and paste Oz scheme if you can't be bothered designing one yourself) ...

(2) Direct your government departments to use it ...

(3) Make it available to ordinary consumers and watch them lap it up too ...

(4) Wait a couple of years and slowly start withdrawing subsidy

(5) Hey, maybe even encourage a few solar panel factories to re-locate from China.

Worked beautifully in Oz.

Except for (5) ... that would be science fiction in Oz.

Troll alert: please don't bother posting that PV doesn't work in Thai because of the air pollution ... there is a degradation ... but it's been measured for example at about 10% in Delhi, so usually not a show-stopper. Yes, it is a tiny font, if you are a troll, i want you to get eye-strain.

Solar in Thailand is big...there are solar farms everywhere, some taking over 100-200 rai.

I would not advise the Australian system...the feed in costs keep dropping as states "obey" power suppliers....and set up costs are expensive, subsidies from states are drying up.

It's also expensive here...especially batteries...not so much LA or AGM, but the lithium storage batteries.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

They could use more solar.

On the big picture for my bill I never complain.  It is 1/10 th what I paid in my country with less blackouts here.

Electric rates in Bangkok are 5 times more than what I was paying in America and I had a built in swimming pool running filtration system!

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, MaxYakov said:

Sounds to me like a government bailout in the making.

How about teaching electricity users how to economize on their use of electricity?

Like trading in their Tesla electrics and other electric vehicles for bicycles (and using them), permanently turning off their A/C and using only fans for skin-evaporative cooling, avoiding the use of motor vehicles because they generate too much heat (requiring more A/C use), trading in their big screen, energy-hog displays for displays no bigger than 17 inches, stop using their microwave ovens and other similar, practical steps. :stoner:

I remember that from 80s-90s in China( bet Thailand then the same ), life aren't particularly pleasant back then????

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Government looking at ways to lower public electricity bills

This really seems to be a government of Samaritans, all ministers who think how to give the people's money back to the "people".
However, everyone has learned to use their finger to give more weight to lies!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MaxYakov said:

Turning off their A/C and using only fans for skin-evaporative cooling,

Do you mean let people sweat a lot? :whistling:

Live in a hot humid house with all the bacteria that breeds, you could be onto a winner ????

Let me know how it works out ????

8 hours ago, BigBadGeordie said:

I would suggest they build a giant sunshade to cover the kingdom from say 10:00 to 15:00 every day.

This would reduce the need for air-con and fans during that period, thus reducing electricity demand.

Well more tree's in the city sure will help to keep it cooler and they clean the air.

4 minutes ago, Youlike said:

Well more tree's in the city sure will help to keep it cooler and they clean the air.

But! they don't generate $$$$$$$$$$$$$, not suitable for Thai cities - thanks :whistling:

• Like 1

The junta said they were going to make it illegal for landlords add a surcharge to your electric bills  I stayed an apartment for two months, and the landlord charged me.  I told them it was illegal.  They said: so?

It behooves gawd awful  landlords to have the least efficient appliances in their blocks, so they make more money.  

Have to go to Thailand this year, and not looking forward to it, but love the people I work with there.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, pdtokyo said:

Rooftop solar is a no brainer, mega in Oz but i'm amazed at the near-total absence of PV in Thailand ... maybe there are solar farms hidden away somewhere but rooftop? can't see it at all.

Rooftop solar is a very low-hanging-fruit sort of project (i gather Thai government is partial to low-hanging-fruit) ...

(1) Set up a simple-ish rebate scheme (copy and paste Oz scheme if you can't be bothered designing one yourself) ...

(5) Hey, maybe even encourage a few solar panel factories to re-locate from China.

Troll alert: please don't bother posting that PV doesn't work in Thai because of the air pollution ... there is a degradation ... but it's been measured for example at about 10% in Delhi, so usually not a show-stopper. Yes, it is a tiny font, if you are a troll, i want you to get eye-strain.

The Thai government killed personal solar by only allowing expensive named brand equipment and expensive fitters to install. Which is why you don't see many solar panels on the roof ........ you gotta keep them down low where the PEA man can't see it.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CGW said:

Live in a hot humid house with all the bacteria that breeds, you could be onto a winner ????

Works out fine for me, haven't used air-con for 5 months, open windows and fans is good enough.

I do use it at night during monsoon, but even then set to 28c.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

Places like chatuchak market use aircon in an open shop...guess they make high profits to afford that.

But thailand needs thermopane windows, insulated malls/hospitals/airports and so on....they are far behind the rest of the world in saving energy...and why do they need SUV's to drive in BKK while a small car also will do?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Works out fine for me, haven't used air-con for 5 months, open windows and fans is good enough.

I do use it at night during monsoon, but even then set to 28c.

If it works for you - great, I use AC every night at 24c & keep the house at around 28c and humidity at ~50%, spent enough years perspiring earning a living, time for comfort now ???? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BobinBKK said:

Electric rates in Bangkok are 5 times more than what I was paying in America and I had a built in swimming pool running filtration system!

Do you live in a condo.....?

Our power in BKK is the same as everywhere....1-2000THB/mnth

11 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The ministry is also studying ways to lower the price of cooking gas and fuel, he said.

Crude oil is down ~20%, gas will follow, why not just pass on the savings? 

Doesn't work that way here does it :annoyed:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Youlike said:

Places like chatuchak market use aircon in an open shop...guess they make high profits to afford that.

But thailand needs thermopane windows, insulated malls/hospitals/airports and so on....they are far behind the rest of the world in saving energy...and why do they need SUV's to drive in BKK while a small car also will do?

Too many Big Idiots with Big Ego's think Big Car means Big Face.  Logical thinking and Common Sense are not exactly their strong points !

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CGW said:
12 hours ago, MaxYakov said:

Turning off their A/C and using only fans for skin-evaporative cooling,

Don't sweat it! After several hundred thousand years of evolution (or more), the modern human perspiration system has been working out just fine as long as it's not pushed to its limit by severe dehydration and/or heat stroke. If you're a Sasquatch or Yeti with hair completely covering your body, then you can ignore this. ????

But if you're concerned about bacteria, one could always take a bath/shower in cold water every hour or so, couldn't one? The OP didn't say anything about conserving water, did it?

A Note to Readers: This quoter decided to severely edit my original comment. Several off-the-wall points were made in my original comment regarding economizing on electricity usage. This one regarding A/C usage was actually more serious than the others and maybe even quite doable by some, if not many, people.

Editing an original comment can mislead the readers by causing an out-of-context situation. My original comment is HERE.

Edited by MaxYakov

12 hours ago, pdtokyo said:

Make it illegal to run the a/c thermostat lower than 29C instead of 22 or lower which is par for the course. Especially at shopping malls where the doors are open perhaps 12 hours a day with the air con cooling the street.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CGW said:

If it works for you - great, I use AC every night at 24c & keep the house at around 28c and humidity at ~50%, spent enough years perspiring earning a living, time for comfort now ???? 

I use my a/c for a couple of hours in the afternoon during my siesta set to 29C and again at night from about 10 pm to 7 am but that is just the fan running. Next month (April) is generally the hottest month and probably May as well which is when the downstairs a/c will come on in the afternoons, also set to 29C.

They could reduce the price of electricity per unit that would be the easy answer to the problem, the Government could then make up the shortfall if anyone notices the till is a bit short.