Lao border crossing by rail, Nongkhai to Thanalaeng

Anyone recently tried the Thai-Lao border crossing using the Nongkhai-to-Thanaleng shuttle train service?

How long does the passport buerocracy take there, both going out of and later going back into Thailand?

Is a same-day border run feasible here? (I've got a Non-Immigrant Multiple Entry visa)

Edited by Nakdontree

1 hour ago, Toosetinmyways said:

Don't know about the train but I tried to take the international bus from Bangkok to Vientiane and they would not sell me a ticket as I had no valid Laos visa. Said there was no time to get Laos VOA at border.

The reason for this is the bus has a schedule and if a passenger has to apply for a visa, that can take up to one hour. When the visa guys are on food break, that can take much more.

• Like 1

The problem with the train is catching when it is going.

I always walk to the border from the train station - it is not far, and catch a bus into Vientiane.

I think to catch the international bus you have to be in the center of Nong Khai.

Better to catch the local bus, which leave at the right hand side after you clear immigration.

3 hours ago, Toosetinmyways said:

Don't know about the train but I tried to take the international bus from Bangkok to Vientiane and they would not sell me a ticket as I had no valid Laos visa. Said there was no time to get Laos VOA at border.

Lucky they told you. A few years ago i used this bus, the driver did not want to wait as we were processed, just managed to jump on as he started to go, one guy was left behind with his luggage on board. I took it off the bus and waited for him to turn up at the bus station.

• Like 1

If you are in a hurry recommend you to take road based transport. Travelled last week from Udon Thani to Vientiane. 

As others mentioned, there is a direct bus but in my case without a visa to won't take you.

So I took a minivan from Central plaza to the Thai border. Got out stamp and lokal bus for 15 Baht to cross the bridge. On the Laos side visa on arrival took less than 10 minutes. From the border on the right hand side you can take a public A/C bus for 8.000 Lao Kip to the city center. The way back is used the Thai Lao international bus to Udon.

• Like 1

Yes you can easily to a border run using that train - done it loads of times.  However there's nothing what so ever apart from toilets at Thanaleng train station.  The location is far from anywhere so not easy to buy delicious french bread, sandwiches and cheap plonk.  But that said it's peaceful and relaxing as there's no walking involved if you're coming up Nong Khai railway station.    

Do yourself a favour mate and just get the train to Nong Khai. Then take a tuk tuk to the bridge. Pass through immigration and get the shuttle bus across. Do your visa run and return by the same method.

If you cant find train times to meet your schedule then simply book a hotel in Nong Khai for the night and travel on the following morning.

Nong Khai is not a bad night out. PM me if you need recommendations for where to stay and what to do if you want. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Nakdontree said:

How long does the passport buerocracy take there, both going out of and later going back into Thailand?

Its very quick both sides as theres vert few people doing it and so no queues .

They can only stamp you in and out though , basic stuff , cannot do overstay fines or new/old passport transfers

Just an I.O guy with a stamp  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sanemax said:

Its very quick both sides as theres vert few people doing it and so no queues .

They can only stamp you in and out though , basic stuff , cannot do overstay fines or new/old passport transfers

Just an I.O guy with a stamp  

i will use that train to enter thailand after 10 days in Laos , can i enter via the 30 days exemption visa ?