Tourism officials extolling Pattaya’s charms but few listening

webfact

14 hours ago, SuwadeeS said:

I am pragmatic. I really gives Thailand a time out to consider their behavior against foreigners.

I really was need that this happens.

They might wake up or the go down.

Foreigners are gone forever. and not because of the bad treatment only. They left because of changed demographics. maybe sad, maybe raci$t but that's the reality IMO

• Like 1

8 hours ago, fred110 said:
10 hours ago, impulse said:

Given that crime never takes a break, I'd be afraid to walk around Pattaya without the safety in numbers that normally protects the average tourist. 

Imagine 100 ladyboy pickpockets with only 50 tourists to choose from.

It must be depressing to live in fear like that.

I don't live in fear.  But neither do I spend my time and money in venues that do little or nothing to protect their patrons.  There are thousands of places I can spend my holiday money where there are actual consequences for pickpockets, beyond a 500 baht fine, a wai toward the cops, and a quick release.  Hundreds in Thailand alone.   Pattaya's reaping the rewards for decades of neglect and corruption.

On 3/9/2020 at 1:05 PM, jacko45k said:

Despite  over 8 million tourists in the first half of 2017 who believed otherwise.......  

How many of them are farangs or other foreigners? Loads of Bkk people go for the weekend at the beach- I'm sure they are included.

Only someone that has no clue would go to Pattaya for Pattaya city, but many go there as a base to go elsewhere on tours or play golf etc. Those that are there for the "charms" of Pattaya didn't go to sit on the beach, or go shopping.

11 hours ago, impulse said:

Given that crime never takes a break, I'd be afraid to walk around Pattaya without the safety in numbers that normally protects the average tourist. 

Imagine 100 ladyboy pickpockets with only 50 tourists to choose from.

Seriously? When were there ever 100 ladyboy pickpockets in Pattaya? Just being a ladyboy doesn't mean they are criminals.

At most there were about 10 the last time I walked along Beach Rd in the early hours.

Anyway, Pattaya is way safer than London- that's a city I was seriously scared to walk around at night. Never had a worry in Pattaya except the traffic.

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, balo said:

Desperate Thais will try anything to get the western tourists back now, just wait and see. Expect more go go bars. 

The days of gogos and bar beers are over, but some will survive. Most of the switched on girls will be on the internet, not sitting in bars trying to get farangs to pay too much for a beer.

On 3/9/2020 at 8:32 AM, nev said:

Well many expats I know have sold up and gone back home, Others have moved to more welcoming countries like Vietnam or Cambodia.

Others like me moved to Isaan and live a great life up there but still have to jump through hoops to stay here.

My last few visits to Pattaya I can see no comparison to the place I first fell in love with 20 years ago.

And so what makes you think they want you back?

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Seriously? When were there ever 100 ladyboy pickpockets in Pattaya? Just being a ladyboy doesn't mean they are criminals.

At most there were about 10 the last time I walked along Beach Rd in the early hours.

Anyway, Pattaya is way safer than London- that's a city I was seriously scared to walk around at night. Never had a worry in Pattaya except the traffic.

Maybe 10 in one block...   But I digress.   

The point is that the criminal element is still there.  They still have to eat and feed their families.  Their monetary needs haven't decreased in the same ratios as the number of victims they now have to choose from.  Still other (even honest) people won't be able to feed their families and some of them will become desperate.    It's not as if a lot of them have any marketable skillsets that will tide them over while tourism is in the tank.

Simple math says that a higher percentage of tourists will become victims.

Edit:  And if I lived in Pattaya (or any other tourist area), I'd be beefing up my home security.  That's another arena where folks without marketable skills can jump over and scrounge up enough $$$ to meet their needs when their normal livelihood is in the toilet.

Edited by impulse

Wouldn't now be a good time to  do all the  infrastructure work they  have been talking about? Close the roads, dig up the streets, bury the cables, paint the lines etc. when there is no traffic to jam.  Maybe some hotels could start closing multiple floors to do some deep cleaning and renewal or to fumigate the bed bugs. This is an opportunity for pattaya to clean itself up.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

How many of them are farangs or other foreigners? Loads of Bkk people go for the weekend at the beach- I'm sure they are included.

Only someone that has no clue would go to Pattaya for Pattaya city, but many go there as a base to go elsewhere on tours or play golf etc. Those that are there for the "charms" of Pattaya didn't go to sit on the beach, or go shopping.

Firstly the topic was tourists, their origins is another issue.... tourists from Bangkok, who stay for a weekend are beneficial. I know quite a few Westerners who come to Pattaya for the City and the pleasures it offers, the nightlife  ... I would expect the golfers to be in the minority, not many sets of clubs leaning on the bar in soi Buakhao. 

Still, I find the content of the OP amusing....effectively 'Come Visit Pattaya.... No Chinese!'

Edited by jacko45k

5 hours ago, impulse said:

Maybe 10 in one block...   But I digress.   

The point is that the criminal element is still there.  They still have to eat and feed their families.  Their monetary needs haven't decreased in the same ratios as the number of victims they now have to choose from.  Still other (even honest) people won't be able to feed their families and some of them will become desperate.    It's not as if a lot of them have any marketable skillsets that will tide them over while tourism is in the tank.

Simple math says that a higher percentage of tourists will become victims.

Edit:  And if I lived in Pattaya (or any other tourist area), I'd be beefing up my home security.  That's another arena where folks without marketable skills can jump over and scrounge up enough $$$ to meet their needs when their normal livelihood is in the toilet.

I'm not disputing that crime WILL increase, just the comment about 100 ladyboy pickpockets, and that was from Walking St to Soi 10, not one block.

When Purachai ruined Pattaya farang nightlife crime went up significantly, so expect more of the same.

6 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Firstly the topic was tourists and their origins is another issue.... tourists from Bangkok, who stay for a weekend are beneficial. I know quite a few who come to Pattaya for the City and the pleasures it offers, the nightlife  ... I would expect the golfers to be in the minority, not many sets of clubs leaning on the bar in soi Buakhao. 

Still, I find the content of the OP amusing....effectively 'Come Visit Pattaya.... No Chinese!'

Golfers will doubtless be in short supply in grotty beer bars. They can afford better places to relax.

Pattaya has been a golfers mecca for decades.

In the 90s I went to Pattaya to find a temporary GF to take to the beaches of the south, and while there I went on a few tours. Even in the golden days of the 90s there was little to attract one to stay any longer than one had to, unless one spent all one's time in the bar beers and gogos.

5 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Wouldn't now be a good time to  do all the  infrastructure work they  have been talking about? Close the roads, dig up the streets, bury the cables, paint the lines etc. when there is no traffic to jam.  Maybe some hotels could start closing multiple floors to do some deep cleaning and renewal or to fumigate the bed bugs. This is an opportunity for pattaya to clean itself up.

Don't hold your breath.

At least the sea should be less toxic with so many fewer flushes going into the bay.

6 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Pattaya has been a golfers mecca for decades.

There is not a single golf course in central Pattaya, a driving range maybe. Pattaya is their Mecca because of the other things they can do when they tire of chasing a little ball around in the heat. 

Better places... haha... the golf oriented bars are the same except uglier girls. 

Edited by jacko45k

For the first time in a long time me and the Mrs ventured into town, I haven't been down Beach rd in years, normally her indoors only gets as far as Big C Pattaya Klang.

What did we find ?

Beach rd is a mess, most bars & restaurants were empty at 3 pm, we drove along beach rd all the way to WS up to the lights and a left turn on to 2nd road all the way back to Naclua to meet with friends, I have never seen so many empty bars, or empty Baht buses, a Very sad story indeed, I can't see it getting better anytime soon, to be honest I'm glad I live on the dark side, to deal with that carp would destroy the strongest of people.

IMG_20200311_143335.jpg

IMG_20200311_143201.jpg

IMG_20200311_142514.jpg

IMG_20200311_142913.jpg

On 3/10/2020 at 2:11 AM, Makem said:

I’ve just returned after two months, when trying to book a condo for later in the year the establishment wanted 500B a night more, definitely won’t happen, goodbye Pattaya

That's typical thai business strategi, when customers disappearing they increase the price to cover their losses.

Sadly some falang morons accept a 40-50% increase in room rates at empty hotels and condos.     

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

For the first time in a long time me and the Mrs ventured into town, I haven't been down Beach rd in years, normally her indoors only gets as far as Big C Pattaya Klang.

What did we find ?

Beach rd is a mess, most bars & restaurants were empty at 3 pm, we drove along beach rd all the way to WS up to the lights and a left turn on to 2nd road all the way back to Naclua to meet with friends, I have never seen so many empty bars, or empty Baht buses, a Very sad story indeed, I can't see it getting better anytime soon, to be honest I'm glad I live on the dark side, to deal with that carp would destroy the strongest of people.

IMG_20200311_143335.jpg

IMG_20200311_143201.jpg

IMG_20200311_142514.jpg

IMG_20200311_142913.jpg

I bet the bath busses still manage to make traffic jam on beach rd. and 2.nd. road.

Even without customers and a max speed at 10-20 km/h.

It's just annoying how this BS is still allowed in Pattaya, but then again when the owners of 90% of the taxis are high ranking Police it's understandable.  

On 3/11/2020 at 11:49 AM, jacko45k said:

There is not a single golf course in central Pattaya, a driving range maybe. Pattaya is their Mecca because of the other things they can do when they tire of chasing a little ball around in the heat. 

Better places... haha... the golf oriented bars are the same except uglier girls. 

I never said there was.

On 3/12/2020 at 4:49 AM, Golden Triangle said:

Beach rd is a mess, most bars & restaurants were empty at 3 pm, we drove along beach rd all the way to WS up to the lights and a left turn on to 2nd road all the way back to Naclua to meet with friends, I have never seen so many empty bars, or empty Baht buses,

I could have taken similar photos any low season in the past, except for Beach Rd getting dug up. Till they widened it it was OK.

18 hours ago, bander said:

I bet the bath busses still manage to make traffic jam on beach rd. and 2.nd. road.

It's just annoying how this BS is still allowed in Pattaya, but then again when the owners of 90% of the taxis are high ranking Police it's understandable.  

Both Beach road and 2nd road were devoid of any traffic, also Pattaya Nua was empty, we were at a U turn to go back to Beach road and as we waited for the  lights to change there wasn't a single vehicle approaching us form the Sukhamvit road end. Weird ???? 

On 3/12/2020 at 10:25 PM, bander said:

With no proper metered taxis here, could you image what Pattaya would be like without baht buses?  The motorbike traffic would be horrendous, and everyone riding around drunk. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Piccadilly Circus said:

Be just like Vietnam thank <deleted> it's not.

Have you actually been to Vietnam?

Cheap metered taxis all over the country.

Sure, the locals will be riding around drunk, but you are pretty safe from them in a taxi.