UK Citizen: Notarising/Certifying/Legalising Degree Certificate. Is it really required?

Hi guys,

I'm preparing to start teaching in Thailand again.  I've done a lot of research on this topic already and read posts from the last few years. I understand the process:

-Certify/Notarise certificate by solicitor or notary public in the UK

-Send documents to Legalisation Office in Milton Keynes 

-Have documents forwarded to the Thai Embassy in London

-Translate documents in Thailand then take them to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Bangkok

I've heard mixed reports on whether I actually need to go through all of this. Is it only if you apply for a Non-B at Chaengwattana or one other immigration office (Petchaburi, maybe)? If I apply in a neighbouring country or even back in the UK, is it required then? If I get my visa in another country, will my degree certificate need to be certified/legalised for when I do my non-b extension after I have my work permit?

I also have a PGCEi certificate. Does this need to be certified/legalised, too? Probably does.

Any advice would be much appreciated. 

No you just get your degree done not the PGCEi. Notorised in the UK you can pay about 50 pounds but send the original degree plus a copy plus the transcripts. 

Yes you can do in Laos but this could be closed at any moment and you might be asked to do it again. You can my advice is either do it now, or it takes two weeks to do, so or go to Laos and when you have your nonb get it done in England while you have masses of time. 

For teaching remember you will need a work permit and you can get two waivers if your degree or PGCEi is more than five years old. Then you have two years to get enough pd days to count for a new five year teaching licence. 

5 hours ago, jamiejoel said:

No you just get your degree done not the PGCEi. Notorised in the UK you can pay about 50 pounds but send the original degree plus a copy plus the transcripts. 

Yes you can do in Laos but this could be closed at any moment and you might be asked to do it again. You can my advice is either do it now, or it takes two weeks to do, so or go to Laos and when you have your nonb get it done in England while you have masses of time. 

For teaching remember you will need a work permit and you can get two waivers if your degree or PGCEi is more than five years old. Then you have two years to get enough pd days to count for a new five year teaching licence. 

Hi jamiejoel,

Thank you for the info. 

My university has changed its name. I've ordered a new certificate, which will arrive at my parents' address in the UK. My transcripts are in Thailand and have the old university name on them, so they won't match. I have also ordered a Verification of Study certificate, as I can't get new transcripts. Do you think the Verification of Study certificate will suffice instead of my transcripts?