Covid-19: Netizen’s racist rants after Chinese couple put in quarantine in Bangkok condo

webfact

My wife was supposed to fly over and join me. We have lived here for the majority of the last 5 years. The country has a quarantine decree against Thai arrivals and i told my wife not to come over for the same reason, i didnt want a warning decree on our condo that isolated her or made her life uncomfortable in the future. This convid sucks, but racist fears suck more.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thaichina said:

This is also not true, and make a generalization of one or two incidents that happened to you with 1,4 billion people is not correct. I m fluent in chinese and I didn t see more racist in China than other countries. No one never treated me or my wife that way ever. People are just curious because there are not many foreigners in China small cities.

It's very true. Chinese are more racist than people in other countries - it's because their government tells the people to blame all their problems on foreigners as a way of deflecting from the true culprit: the government itself.

And racism can't be excused by claiming there are not many foreigners in small Chinese cities. There are very few foreigners in China period. Even in big cities like Kunming and now with the virus thing it's highly unlikely foreigners will be flocking back there, not to mention the increasingly hostile anti-foreigner government.

Now that being said, there are plenty of wonderful Chinese people. Most will leave you alone, but some are in your face racist or they might come up to you and say: "hey, your nose is big!" Which is just rude.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Traubert said:

Horse apples. As Colonel Potter was wont to say.

Reasonably good at all 197 different dialects or still at the 'ni hao ma?' sort of level? By the way Yuxi, famous for it's barbequed duck and it's branded cigarettes mainly uses Vietnamese.

Ditto. 13 years and I must know 100 cross cultural couples. I've seen one incident in all that time, a drunk in a bar.

Shows you know nothing - Yuxi isn't anywhere near Vietnam and certainly no one there can speak Vietnamese. Even in Hekou, only traders might be able to speak a few words, but it's far more likely that Vietnamese traders can speak Chinese than the other way round.

So your anecdotal story is supposed to confirm there are "many" cross-cultural couples? There are way, way more Thai-western couples than there are Chinese-western couples. Like 1000 times more. Even in the west, it's hard to find Chinese-western couples. Whereas most Thais living in the west, are married to westerners from that country.

2 hours ago, EricTh said:

Thailand is not a homogeneous country. There are many ethnicities in Thailand.

Which is why Thailand is less racist than China, which is more homogeneous (or for that matter Japan and North/South Korea...very homogeneous). It is however still relatively homogeneous, which means that if a white or black guy (or sometimes Indian) comes along, Thais will see them as "other" because the heterogeneity you speak of, is an Asian heterogeneity. Thailand is nothing like the USA, for example. Maybe one day it will be, but that day is a long way off. 

4 hours ago, thaichina said:

I have ived in China 15 years, my wife is chinese and I can say witout a doubt that what you said is total BS.

I am fascinated by the chinese gals here and as a whole, Ive spent some time with them showing them around CM and they sure dress nice, but for the life of me cant figure them out..any tips or info...tnx

11 hours ago, RandolphGB said:

This is bang on. Far less common to a Chinese girl marry a Westerner than it is for Thais. 

They believe in their racial purity and racial superiority. It has been drummed into them from centuries and centuries of propaganda. 

Boy are you wrong.  Where did you get this bit from?

As a nation, the Chinese are proud of where they are now, especially after ~100 years of humiliation from Western colonialism. 

BUT, if you know any history, China has been accepting and absorbing outside cultures for over 2 millenia.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, drbeach said:

This. China is far more racist than Thailand will ever be despite all the rhetoric we read here about Thailand being the most racist country on Earth.

I remember an elderly Chinese couple looking disapprovingly at me holding the hand of my ethnic Chinese-Thai girlfriend (now wife) walking down an escalator in Kunming. They also made a derogatory comment as they passed us. Earlier, I had a short-term fling with a Chinese girl. Walking down the street in Yuxi, south of Kunming, a teenager called her a whore. Walking alongside us was her friend and another Sri Lankan friend.

In Thailand, nothing like that has ever happened, not even close. There are so many Thais in relationships with foreigners it's something people see everyday.

And I know, because I'm fluent in Thai and reasonably good at Chinese.

Thais might think it but would be unlikely to say anything... face-saving and risk of confrontation aside, Thais are generally quite classy.

Regards op, if true, that sucks. Despite their people tending to mess around with animals as part of their culture, these folks couldn't help it. I'm no lover of vast, uncouth hordes of Chinese (or any other) visitors, but they were somewhat of a saviour for the country it seemed... now, rightly or wrongly, treated with disdain.:huh: Human beings caught up in this thing like everyone else.

On 3/10/2020 at 4:56 PM, rhyddid said:

here is no difference between who build walls, beat an asian in Europe because of the skin color and covid19 sc

You were doing great, then poof, your post sinks into the dustbin of silliness

2 minutes ago, White Christmas13 said:

you can but I prefer ketchup on my chips.

Probably the only thing worth while that Euros bring to gastronomy is the habit of putting mayo on FRENCH FRIES.

I take it one step further and mix in ketchup and Siracha for a true eclectic potato experience.

By the way...Prik Nam Pla and Mayo is fabulous too