My first Extension of Stay using the Monthly Income from Abroad method

6 hours ago, Maestro said:

Next year, you should take along also a letter from your bank listing the 12 monthly deposits into your account and confirming that they came from abroad.

For your information I asked Kasikorn for this and they said they didn’t provide it. 

18 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I showed my local Bangkok Bank branch an example of one of those letters and they said they could not do one. In reality that letter is redundant if you have a bank statement showing all the transfers came from abroad.

I just got the standard bank letter and showed 13 months of transfers from abroad proven by bank statements and my bank book that was accepted by immigration.

Yes the Kasikorn lady said the same so I did pretty much the same as you for the same reason but it seemed to confuse them as far as matching the transfers with my bank statements even though I had highlighted each of them to make it easier. 

I think it was more of a case that they claim they hadn’t administered an application for the monthly income method before which I find surprising as it’s been in place for over a year. But it is a pretty quiet office and not flooded with foreigners living in this area. 

yeah, pensions are really what the Thais understood.  Now with no embassy letter process, they punted and said, fine, just show monthly transfers.  A pain in the butt and the transfers in no way show any sort of future sustainable pension, or source of funds, but so be it.  Now of course, some IOs want to know what the source of funds really is.  They will not understand stock dividends, bond interest, etc.  They will not understand an income estimator that Etrade provides nor believe some sort of letter from Etrade which asserts to the general validity of the income estimator.  Sure one could sell all their stock and bonds tomorrow.  There is no way to argue around that, even though it would be a crazy irrational thing to do.  So this income thing is going to be a rough road for many people.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Kadilo said:

Two of the three people at the counter clearly did not know the requirements as they stand which is surprising as it’s over a year old now

Some people don't freak themselves out about a simple process. How would they know, if they haven't been there for 1 year? Immigration doesn't send information.

Btw, do you work in Thailand? Is this a retirement or marriage extension?

• Sad 1

I did mine yesterday using monthly transfers without issue. Kasikorn bank printed out 13 months on the spot and did a letter in Thai (300 baht).

No issues at Immigration, at all. They did ask for a TM30. They said a TM 30 was required for all trips outside the province so its best to set up the program on line. The IO even offered to help me set it up if I had trouble.

BTW I complimented the IO on her clear English accept and that she was very easy to understand. She said she studied at AUA in Bangkok. I should have know.

I don't know if this made her smile because she was wearing a mask, but the encounter definitely had me smiling as I was leaving.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

Ubonjoe. If we file a tax return in Thailand is that not proof of income. I also have the paperwork from the Canadian government as to what I was paid

Only if the income is legally earned here from working or investments. Working here would require you be on extension based upon marriage to or the parent of a Thai. Investments could be used in theory could be used for a retirement extension.

Since you are from Canada you can still do a statutory declaration at your embassy to prove your income. They do ask for proof of your income that can be bank statements or tax payments. That might be the only thing immigration would accept from you.

3 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Some people don't freak themselves out about a simple process. How would they know, if they haven't been there for 1 year? Immigration doesn't send information.

Kadilo meant the officers at his Immigration office. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Silly me, I thought they would have training and stuff like that. 
They send out the form to immigration which clearly gives the 3 options available for those wishing to apply. 
You can get a marriage extension on Income?

Edited by Kadilo

4 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

yeah, pensions are really what the Thais understood.  Now with no embassy letter process, they punted and said, fine, just show monthly transfers.  A pain in the butt and the transfers in no way show any sort of future sustainable pension, or source of funds, but so be it.  Now of course, some IOs want to know what the source of funds really is.  They will not understand stock dividends, bond interest, etc.  They will not understand an income estimator that Etrade provides nor believe some sort of letter from Etrade which asserts to the general validity of the income estimator.  Sure one could sell all their stock and bonds tomorrow.  There is no way to argue around that, even though it would be a crazy irrational thing to do.  So this income thing is going to be a rough road for many people.

To be honest they never looked or asked about my income source. Just looked at the numbers coming in and saw they were over 65,000 every month. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, earlinclaifornia said:

CM IO denies you here for 65K monthly deposits. The new manager only accepts the Embassy letter which UK US and Australia no longer will help. Lucky you live in North East Issan! 

Struggling to understand not offering it is even possible, but I guess Thailand can do what it wants where it wants. 

Edited by Kadilo

31 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

They send out the form to immigration which clearly gives the 3 options available for those wishing to apply. 

Yes, 40k average per month. 

21 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

Struggling to understand not offering it is even possible, but I guess Thailand can do what it wants where it wants. 

Don't compare an immigration office far out in the sticks with a larger one. Some offices doesn't have enough foreigners to cover every type of extension and every income/money in the bank method.

Exactly opposite, big city not following directive and outline IO correctly enforcing. CM now joins the list of rogue IO's (like Jomtien, Saraburi, Petchabun).  In those areas there is a need for a Retiree-group that collectively confronts the IO by filing a complaint.  Before you dismiss the idea, that has been done successfully at the Roi-Et IO, which also incorrectly insisted on the embassy-letter when making use of the monthly-income method (while that method has actually been introduced for those that could not get an embassy-letter stating their income).

58 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Don't compare an immigration office far out in the sticks with a larger one. Some offices doesn't have enough foreigners to cover every type of extension and every income/money in the bank method.

I was referring to Chiang Mai. That can’t be a small office, hence why I was surprised they weren’t offering the income method. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kadilo said:

I mean the foreigners, not the immigration, of course they know.

Yes, you can get a marriage extension on income.

If you are on retirement, i wouldn't tell them you still work. 

Edited by Neeranam

Bangkok Bank in Pattaya provides a nice packet verifying my monthly international deposits for the past year. Whipped right through my yearly extension. But, next time, I’ll need to show proof of insurance from Thai company. And I have excellent insurance from the States that covers Thailand. A bit of a dilemma for me....

My first extension at Jomtien using monthly income is next week and not looking forward to it based on research. Went to Bangkok Bank and spent over an hour trying to request statement for 12 months and bank letter (200baht for statement and 100 baht for bank letter). Staff insisted I needed a further letter detailing the actual currency transactions at a cost of 600 baht!

after much discussion and an impasse I said I would go around the corner To immigration and check With them.

immigration agreed on ly bank statement and one bank letter BUT I also needed bank statements from my U.K. bank and evidence of where the transfer money originated!!

So I will take my pension statements Which in the earlier years they would only accept if the had the Embassy letter!

Fingers crossed for next week.

26 minutes ago, stewartthailand said:

My first extension at Jomtien using monthly income is next week and not looking forward to it based on research. Went to Bangkok Bank and spent over an hour trying to request statement for 12 months and bank letter (200baht for statement and 100 baht for bank letter). Staff insisted I needed a further letter detailing the actual currency transactions at a cost of 600 baht!

after much discussion and an impasse I said I would go around the corner To immigration and check With them.

immigration agreed on ly bank statement and one bank letter BUT I also needed bank statements from my U.K. bank and evidence of where the transfer money originated!!

So I will take my pension statements Which in the earlier years they would only accept if the had the Embassy letter!

Fingers crossed for next week.

Good luck!