Strange immigration visit

6 hours ago, phetphet said:

Probably some jealous person has reported you. Similar to the "report the overstayers".

Probably, but it usually takes more than mere jealousy. Usually some sort of dispute, however minor, is the catalyst for this kind of "snitching". Often, other farang do the snitching, it's not always Thais.

12 minutes ago, timendres said:

The actual reported statement was:

Quite different, both in terms of the words and the meaning, than your misquote above. 

Again, your paranoia is telling, and likely explains your experiences interacting with those around you.

That was a gaffe by an idiotic minister. In any case, since then, the number of locals and foreigners I've seen wearing masks has in my opinion dropped a little. The actual reason for many people wearing masks in Bangkok was due to the pollution. Coincidentally, the virus situation came along around the same time, BUT outside of airports, bus stations, crowded areas and downtown Bangkok, relatively limited numbers of people are wearing masks. A few days ago in Isarn and Laos - almost no one was.

Anyway, I'm kind of responding more to the paranoia of the other guy than you, I know you are aware of this already. There are a lot of things to be concerned about in Thailand but there is certainly no mask law. That would be the height of absurdity.

25 minutes ago, Tagaa said:

Not paranoid at all. The Health Minister said so in his video tirade.....Foreigners go home...We don't want you here...and then was forced to retract that statement the following day. He simply said what I believe most Thai's feel. I was at a party where the local mayor and his entourage were also in attendance. The disdain for me was palpable in his eyes and tone of voice. No paranoia, just realistic observation with no pie in the sky illusions. This is not a one off experience.

RE: the huge sucking sound...with the Thai economy in perhaps the worst condition it has been in since the collapse in the 90's, I would think they would do everything in their power to keep "ALL" currency inflows. Each foreigner living here has to show money in the bank or a monthly income. Do they think we just sit there and look at our money? No...we spend it. Foreigners leave, their inflow of cash, beit once a year or monthly, stops. Spending stops & the economy sucks a little bit more.

Believe what you see them do, not what they say. Wake up and small the kim chi.

The local mayor didn't like you because you're a farang? Tell me more...something doesn't sound right about this story. It's easy to misread people's expressions when no words are exchanged, it's a foreign culture and/or you don't speak each other's language.

3 minutes ago, drbeach said:

The local mayor didn't like you because you're a farang? Tell me more...something doesn't sound right about this story. It's easy to misread people's expressions when no words are exchanged, it's a foreign culture and/or you don't speak each other's language.

I see this often. I was working with a visa agent in Pattaya, who stated quite vehemently - "They hate us." He was passionate about how much Thais hated every "Farang". Truth be told, I had dealt with this guy for a total of 30 minutes, and I hated him. So, nothing to do with Thais.

4 hours ago, Tagaa said:

A quick check of the Immigration database would have answered his question, but why do that when it gives him a perfectly good excuse to go to your house and hassle you.

I keep telling you all that these people don't want us here and would be more than happy if we all left. Problem is, is that when we do leave, there will be a huge sucking sound, which is the noise created when all our money gets moved out of the country. That will soon be followed by a huge sound of silence, which will be the sound (or lack thereof) they will hear when our money stops flowing into the country.

The amount of money foreign residents bring into the country is nothing at all compared to what the untouchables make through corruption/self-interest, and what legally comes into the country via exports. We are nothing more than ants to them. If we all left it would make no difference at all to them, and the only ones to suffer would be Thai family left behind. And even then, the 'extended family' system would take care of them.

The only thing that would make a difference to them is if foreigners were able to take everything our countries had invented with us, and leave the country with what the Thais themselves have invented - which is nothing at all. No cars, electricity, internet, transport of any kind except water buffalo, no tv - the list is endless.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nigel Sri Thanonchai said:

Work Permits are issued by the Dept of Labour not Royal Thai Immigration and in many cases are not in Sync with each other 

immigration dont have any phones? Why cant they call dol and ask?

But farang was already determined illegal by imm because instead of asking if he had a permit he first says he has to take the sign down as he isnt allowed to work. Only then did the op show he has a permit.

So either way the imm officer is wrong. He assumed no permit so should have come with 20 officers to arrest and deport him.

4 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Then you missed the sob stories of people who got deported while they have young kids.

He is 100% correct...you could have a village of children and supporting a province, the fact you are NOT and never will be THai will not entitle you to diplomatic immunity...they can and will have you removed at their will.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

So surely the correct department to investigate would be DoL and the complaint should have been passed on.

It isn't clear from the OP who visited him. Some guy apparently came to his home,

told him to take down his business sign, looked at his work permit then toddled off,

apparently satisfied.

I don't know why immigration would make a house call and not check on his passport

and visa status.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tagaa said:

A quick check of the Immigration database would have answered his question, but why do that when it gives him a perfectly good excuse to go to your house and hassle you.

I keep telling you all that these people don't want us here and would be more than happy if we all left. Problem is, is that when we do leave, there will be a huge sucking sound, which is the noise created when all our money gets moved out of the country. That will soon be followed by a huge sound of silence, which will be the sound (or lack thereof) they will hear when our money stops flowing into the country.

And you think they would. CARE about. this???? It never affects the salaried government workers, only the restaurant employees and others who exist on about 9 thousand baht a month. Economics is. only for the wealthy and privileged, it does not "trickle down" to the average Thai worker.

36 minutes ago, shy coconut said:

It isn't clear from the OP who visited him. Some guy apparently came to his home,

told him to take down his business sign, looked at his work permit then toddled off,

apparently satisfied.

I don't know why immigration would make a house call and not check on his passport

and visa status.

it was 100% immiation, i saw his id, and i did saw him many time in the immigration office...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tagaa said:

There have been similar post to yours here since 1998 and farangs are still here and never heard the sucking sound yet. It use to be another nail in the coffin, who ever wants to be here is still here. The info of the work permit will not be in a immigration computer since the labor department takes care of that. 

• Like 1

In short: immirgation thought he was working illegally and told him he couldn't do that. Sorry for the conspiracy theorists, but it doesn't seem they don't want us. They didn't try to arrest him, just told him to stop. In many other countries immirgation would not just have given a warning.

Upon show of the workpermit all was in order and there was no problem with him working. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/11/2020 at 8:01 AM, kralledr said:

If this immigration guy would have a bit of commone sense, he know i have a young child and would surely not risk to being deported and blacklisted

So how would you feel about Thai nationals working in your home country without being subject to any visits from local powers-that-be to check on their work permit, etc status, and, hence, not liable to deportation if they didn't have the correct paperwork? Some of them could well be the parent of a child with your home country nationality and settled there!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1