Riding out the virus storm. Can I?

I am here on a 60 day visa and want to know if I can extend it and ride out the virus, rather than return to London into the storm which scientists say is about to unfold there? So firstly, can I extend current visa and for how long? Secondly, once that runs out, will they let me extend again and for how long. I have no history of seeking extensions. 

31 minutes ago, timendres said:

Personally, I would rather be sick in TH than the UK. That said, I would consider the possibility of the need for serious health care, and wether you believe you will get better health care here or at home.

Most people who contract the virus only have mild symptoms. Only a small percentage ie the at risk group for any illnesses, are having serious complications. 

As said above, extend once then do a border hop and come back in on a 30 day visa exempt entry. Extend that for another 30 days and you could be here until July at least, depending on when you entered..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

If I was to be quarantined in Thai hospital for 2 weeks and survived it would be short lived. 

Once the hospital bill would be handed to me. R.I.P

Could be in ICU for a couple of months with these respiratory issues, yes the bill would kill many

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

If I was to be quarantined in Thai hospital for 2 weeks and survived it would be short lived.

Once the hospital bill would be handed to me. R.I.P

ROFL yes, the choices for affordable healthcare here are limited. I managed to get through the red tape at Ramathibodi to get stents put in for 147k (private cost 320k) but if Covid takes off, there won't be any treatment available for sure - my wife had to take a day off work and spend a full day going there just to sign to book a private room, and even that wasn't available when I got there 4 days later.

From what news I see in the UK, they aren't taking it remotely seriously anyway - not even 'reactive' let alone 'proactive' measures. 

Edited by ben2talk
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, ben2talk said:

ROFL yes, the choices for affordable healthcare here are limited. I managed to get through the red tape at Ramathibodi to get stents put in for 147k (private cost 320k) but if Covid takes off, there won't be any treatment available for sure - my wife had to take a day off work and spend a full day going there just to sign to book a private room, and even that wasn't available when I got there 4 days later.

From what news I see in the UK, they aren't taking it remotely seriously anyway - not even 'reactive' let alone 'proactive' measures. 

Ben, grab a flight to UK. Your wife will be here when your back. 

Underlying condition is one main concern.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, EricTh said:

UK is still considered low risk for now. So you can stay in several South East Asian countries for a few months here and there until the virus is controlled.

Yep currently UK couple in lock down in Hanoi after flight from London to Hanoi where another person on flight tested positive. 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Only one extension 30 days for your setv.

You could travel to border and reenter visa exempt. That can also be extended 30 days

No he can’t as from today they have cancelled visa exempt entry. Due to the virus

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, Caine said:

No he can’t as from today they have cancelled visa exempt entry. Due to the virus

They have not cancelled all visa exempt entries. It is only for 3 countries.

The OP is from the UK and it is not one of those countries.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, DJ54 said:

Just read 30 day travel ban effective Friday midnight for travel EU to US. 

Also Thailand visa on arrival suspended for 19 countries due to virus....

How is that relevant to this topic?

The UK does not qualify for visas on arrival. The can still get visa exempt entries.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

because this moves like a slow motion tsunami most are being lulled into complacency till they're being pounded by the waves..

• Thanks 2

On 3/11/2020 at 2:08 PM, timendres said:

Personally, I would rather be sick in TH than the UK. That said, I would consider the possibility of the need for serious health care, and wether you believe you will get better health care here or at home.

It depends on how much you are prepared to pay. Bumrungrad Hospital is a world class facility; however, world class fees as well.

I don't know about the UK, but Australia has pretty good public hospitals - if you don't mind waiting, although emergency patients usually get quick action.

• Thanks 1

The big problem that you have is that everything is changing on a daily basis. An example of this is that last night Australia brought in a lot stricter restrictions on Italians to Australia and this morning Thailand bring in this new T8 app requirement for all arrivals at the airports plus the US brought in travel bans for 26 European countries. So what you know today is going to change tomorrow and nobody knows what is going to change and when it is going to change and this is going to be a big problem for anyone who has to travel whether it is because of a expiring visa or any other reason. All anyone can do is take the responsibility for their own safety and health and do not rely on things like hand gel or spray to be available where ever you go.

• Thanks 1

Personally I intend on riding it one, I am old it happens! I stay in my condo only going out for banking and hospitals! Now at the hospital I mask up and use the sanitizers too!

Many will die!! That is my opinion ok! Good luck!

• Thanks 1

the uk numbers might appear bad but half of the numbers are cured and gone home and the rest are scattered about the uk with just 1 victim in some counties ..you have more chance winning the lottery than catching a dose

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, 3NUMBAS said:

the uk numbers might appear bad but half of the numbers are cured and gone home and the rest are scattered about the uk with just 1 victim in some counties ..you have more chance winning the lottery than catching a dose

too early to call that.

• Thanks 1

On 3/11/2020 at 12:24 PM, NCC1701A said:

Its not worth arguing with these guys that still have their head in the sand NCC17. They think Trump is over reacting by banning all flights from Europe.

You are right UK not far behind Italy. Scientists are saying a massive amount of people will die. I believe China has blatantly lied about deaths there

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, bartender100 said:

Its not worth arguing with these guys that still have their head in the sand NCC17. They think Trump is over reacting by banning all flights from Europe.

You are right UK not far behind Italy. Scientists are saying a massive amount of people will die. I believe China has blatantly lied about deaths there

Australia about to do same as USA. But that's the norm for AU.

BTW I'm oz

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1