Virus scare sees blood donations plummet

webfact

Virus scare sees blood donations plummet

By The Nation

800_299f9c2c49c039c.jpg?v=1583911497

The Thai Red Cross Society’s National Blood Centre is also suffering from the Covid-19 virus scare because it’s keeping blood donors away.

Ca36Q2oF.jpg

The centre typically collects 2,000-2,500 units a day, but after three consecutive days of decline in the number of donors, it’s down 1,400 units on average.

MvKqVLQv.jpg

At the same time, several organisations that had planned to hold blood-donation events have felt obliged to cancel the arrangements because they are based in areas under surveillance for Covid-19 infection.

hhWk5PmG.jpg

The slowdown in donors is leaving hospitals nationwide in short supply.

MXTdyDf1.jpg

The centre’s directors are appealing to the public to give blood. They affirm that the strictest possible standards apply to ensure the safety of both donors and recipients.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30383855

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-03-11

I would be very happy to donate my blood.  I am a fit and health (I think) 65 year old.  However because i have lived in the UK between 1986-1992(I think) my donation is refused because I MAY have mad 'mad cow disease'.  However I can give blood in other countries but not here - crazy system as I am sure there are many others like me here.

6 minutes ago, Nurseynutcase said:

I would be very happy to donate my blood.  I am a fit and health (I think) 65 year old.  However because i have lived in the UK between 1986-1992(I think) my donation is refused because I MAY have mad 'mad cow disease'.  However I can give blood in other countries but not here - crazy system as I am sure there are many others like me here.

I think that might be a typical 'regional' thing. Different area - different rules.

I live on Koh Samui and donate blood regularly. No one here has mentioned the Mad Cow bit.

Mind you, I am a universal donor so maybe they turn a blind eye to that rule. They phone me when they need blood urgently for foreigners.

I have been told that they may not take my blood when (if?) I reach 70 years old. (Next year.)

1 minute ago, Tropicalevo said:

I think that might be a typical 'regional' thing. Different area - different rules.

I live on Koh Samui and donate blood regularly. No one here has mentioned the Mad Cow bit.

Mind you, I am a universal donor so maybe they turn a blind eye to that rule. They phone me when they need blood urgently for foreigners.

I have been told that they may not take my blood when (if?) I reach 70 years old. (Next year.)

Thanks for that I am going to Koh Samui next week so will have a look to see if there is anywhere holding donation session.

Current Thai Red Cross donation policy limits donations to every six months for over 60s and stops entirely after 70.

Canada takes blood up to age 80. The US has no age limits.

The new Blood Donor Centre director, a gerontological physiatrist, hopes to loosen restrictions based simply on health status not chronological age.