Pattaya baht buses are obviously rolling dens of potential Covid-19 transmission

Jingthing

This is neither here nor there, but I think residents and even tourists here need to understand that the Thai government may already know lots lots more than they're letting on about publicly. I saw a weird thing yesterday at Central Pattaya Beach Mall. There was an entire squad of young men in police or military uniforms marching in formation going into the mall. I've never seen anything like that here before. It looked like some kind of training exercise. A few of them were staring at me in a weirdly xenophobic way (not very professional of them but it happened). What I'm getting at is people should be realistic about what may potentially happen here in Pattaya and in Thailand. We've already seen virtual martial law in large areas of China, all of Italy, Iran is devastated, and even in a New York City suburb. The virus is here. Border controls are irrelevant now. It's not picky about where it is. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, orchis said:

walk!

For shorter trips of course but it's not realistic to walk from Jomtien to North Pattaya very often.

That's why I'm suggesting limiting uses of baht buses to more essential trips.

Yes people without vehicles can also take taxis but we all know how they are ripoffs here.

Edited by Jingthing

8 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

There was an entire squad of young men in police or military uniforms marching in formation going into the mall. I've never seen anything like that here before.

Any buff young bucks amongst them? You must have thought all your birthdays had come at once. 555

Edited by DannyCarlton
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

This is neither here nor there, but I think residents and even tourists here need to understand that the Thai government may already know lots lots more than they're letting on about publicly. I saw a weird thing yesterday at Central Pattaya Beach Mall. There was an entire squad of young men in police or military uniforms marching in formation going into the mall. I've never seen anything like that. A few of them were staring at me in a weirdly xenophobic way. What I'm getting at is people should be realistic about what may potentially happen here in Pattaya and in Thailand. We've already seen virtual martial law in large areas of China, all of Italy, Iran is devastated, and even in a New York City suburb. The virus is here. Border controls are irrelevant now. It's not picky about where it is. 

I think you mean Central Festival.

20 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

young people are jumping on planes to come to Thailand because of low costs now and they think they will not get sick. 

Chances of them getting sick, much less dying from Corona is very small. They have it right.

The only problem for most would be if they are banned from returning home or quarantined.

Old people are the ones likely to contract the disease and die. Those with good immune systems have no more need to worry about Corona than normal flue.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

21 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

you are out there rooting vigorously for Biden so I wouldn't worry about

appearing crazy ????

ok...that was a joke!

I have worn those plastic gloves at the supermarket while picking up 

things and carting them....you get some looks but in these times I'd rather

be safe than worry about what people think.

The plastic gloves I referenced are cheap, come in a box of 500 or so

and not many have figured out their use yet so still freely available.

Cheap gloves don't last, rip easily, and if the outside is contaminated just contaminates other surfaces one might touch later. Either change gloves every few seconds or don't bother, IMO.

Just don't stick a finger in a nostril or eye.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Cheap gloves don't last, rip easily, and if the outside is contaminated just contaminates other surfaces one might touch later. Either change gloves every few seconds or don't bother, IMO.

Why not use Tesco Lotus home delivery? No need for touching anything in the store or on the way to the store (and when getting back home). Service cost: ฿60. 

21 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Why not use Tesco Lotus home delivery? No need for touching anything in the store or on the way to the store (and when getting back home). Service cost: ฿60. 

Virus last 4 days on wood or paper and who knows what else 

• Haha 1

worrying about any place is silly.  The virus particles are all over the place and nothing is going to stop them.  Millions of people have it but don't know it.  It is such an overblown hyper over reaction.  Slowing it down just prolongs things. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, jimn said:

I think Thai Visa needs to be renamed The Over The Top American Proples Forum.

Or the 'No It's True, I Read It On The Internet Forum.' ????????????????

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

worrying about any place is silly.  The virus particles are all over the place and nothing is going to stop them.  Millions of people have it but don't know it.  It is such an overblown hyper over reaction.  Slowing it down just prolongs things. 

I agree that it's possible or probable that the majority of the world population will be infected before there is a vaccine. However, I don't think slowing it down is a bad thing because slowing it down decreases the chances of such a massive global infection rate and also it would mean more manageable numbers of very sick people at any given time to compete for medical care, protective gear. hospital beds, respirators, etc.  There is no national health system ready to deal with most of the world being infected in a short period of time, meaning of course social breakdown and many more people dying that would have needed to if the timing was managed better. Also as we saw in China, during such a crisis people with non Covid-19 issues were neglected.

Edited by Jingthing

25 minutes ago, jimn said:

I think Thai Visa needs to be renamed The Over The Top American Proples Forum.

6 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

What is a prople?

R is next to E on the keyboard.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, NatureFilm said:

It might be 70.000. Nobody can really know. 

Yes it could be and that's the importance of very massive testing as South Korea is doing and then being able to pinpoint problem areas. If it is 70,000 imagine what it could be quickly due to the power of exponential spread. Ignorance is most definitely not bliss in this instance.

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Chances of them getting sick, much less dying from Corona is very small. They have it right.

The only problem for most would be if they are banned from returning home or quarantined.

Old people are the ones likely to contract the disease and die. Those with good immune systems have no more need to worry about Corona than normal flue.

Have to say that a couple of days ago a top USA medic stated that the corona virus was 10 times more potent than regular flu .  

Baht buses could be a source of infection as they are used by hundreds of people every day . Boarding the bus by grabbing the handrails , touching the seats , touching the stop button ,  touching distance of other passengers , paying your fare and receiving  change are all ways to contact the virus .  Glove up and / or stay away from busy places where there will be some tourists who are strangers to hygiene .   

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, superal said:

Have to say that a couple of days ago a top USA medic stated that the corona virus was 10 times more potent than regular flu .  

Baht buses could be a source of infection as they are used by hundreds of people every day . Boarding the bus by grabbing the handrails , touching the seats , touching the stop button ,  touching distance of other passengers , paying your fare and receiving  change are all ways to contact the virus .  Glove up and / or stay away from busy places where there will be some tourists who are strangers to hygiene .   

Another one that gets the obvious. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

yeah these are not medical grade...I only use them in a supermarket when Im handling stuff that may have been touched by hundreds.....baskets, trolleys, carts, elevator buttons, ATM buttons....definitely light weight.

And regardless of whether Im wearing gloves or not I dont touch my face ever.

33 minutes ago, superal said:

"Top USA medic", yeah right! You keep repeating posts that everybody have read over and over again. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Yes, and I think it would be prudent for the authorities to order periodic disinfecting of shared surfaces on baht buses.

It isn't the difficulty of organizing the spraying that prevents them, but getting the numerous photographers and dignitaries from City Hall to attend. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

"Top USA medic", yeah right! You keep repeating posts that everybody have read over and over again. 

Top USA over the top medic. These people remind me of the work place lawyers, expert trial witnesses, phychics etc that seem to be everywhere in the states. Everything there is over the top as is the panic from its people. Look at the overreaction in the aftermath of the tragic events of 9/11 (which is really 11/9). Americans refused to travel anywhere, even the Golf Ryder Cup was cancelled that year. 

• Like 1

On 3/12/2020 at 12:56 PM, fforest1 said:

The baht buses are open air.....nothing to worry about......I would be much more worried about 7-11s,  restaurants, bars, grocery stores, buses, airplanes....

Airplanes.

Boeing 747 / Airbus , no thank you.

Homeland visit cancelled , this year..

Edited by elliss