Red number plate restrictions

P100

Does anyone know the actual situation with red number plates? If I buy a motorbike I get a red number and can use it until the white number arrives. But are there any restrictions? I would like to travel outside of the city for a 2 weeks trip. Is that ok given that the motor bike will attract attention of police all the way. Thaks

Edited by P100

50 minutes ago, Blue Muton said:

You should get a booklet with it, you should fill in travel details if you intend going out of your province, failure to do so could result in a fine.

the purpose of the trip is not restricted? regular use is possible day and night?

57 minutes ago, P100 said:

the purpose of the trip is not restricted? regular use is possible day and night?

I'm not an expert, but going by what we were told by three different dealerships:

the purpose of the trip is not restricted?             No.

regular use is possible?                                      Yes.

day and night?                                                 As far as I recall although I tend to avoid driving at night wherever possible anyway.

54 minutes ago, P100 said:

Only know about car/truck, fill out a book as said of destination and you can't drive after dark. 

Remember something about toll ways but that don't apply to bikes anyway.

• Like 2

Theoretically with a red plate you may not drive after dark, not leave the province, have to write your trips into a book and maybe some other things.

But in reality nobody cares much about it. Maybe in places like Pattaya or Phuket this could be a problem if they want your money. If you are somewhere else never mind.

So far i've bought two new bikes in Thailand (a big and a small one), didn't get a red plate, so i was driving arround without a license plate before i had the white plate.

With the big bike i was once stopped in a checkpoint in Khon Kaen, and with the small bike two times in Chiang Mai. They asked why i don't have a license plate, told them i just bought it, then i was let go, no problem at all.

It's just common practice to ride a motorbike without plates until the dealership finally gets it sorted (if all documents are ready it takes maybe an hour at the DLT to register a new vehicle, the dealerships are causing the delay)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I got told by a Bangkok car dealership to just record that I was driving home to Phuket which I did. I went north to Surin first, then got fined on the main highway heading south B500 for not filing out the book on the  day. I resorted to writing in one line going back home and changing the date each day. Never got pulled over again.

12 minutes ago, transam said:

Never seen a bike with a red plate. 

Trans, I bought a Yamaha Freego a couple of months ago, I had to pay the dealership 300baht for the loan of the red plates untill my new plates were delivered (about a month).

Edited by vogie
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, jackdd said:

Theoretically with a red plate you may not drive after dark, not leave the province, have to write your trips into a book and maybe some other things.

But in reality nobody cares much about it. Maybe in places like Pattaya or Phuket this could be a problem if they want your money. If you are somewhere else never mind.

Was driving up country in a hire car with a red plate. Was told nothing by the hire company vis-a-vis restrictions to red plate vehicles. Stopped on the interstate highway near Khon Kaen. Police officer asked me for my log book which I was unaware of. Found it in the glove box and the officer pointed out that I hadn't filled my journey in. Initially fined me 2000 baht and a ticket. Being seasoned negotiators with the RTP my wife and I eventually had the fine reduced to 300 baht for cash and no ticket.

I later did some digging and found that the officer was completely correct regarding the offence and level of fine.  However, the RTP are the best in the world. Lovely people. I paid the 300 baht and all parties went away with big smiles on our faces.

Addenum. When I returned the car I remonstrated with the company (I'd since learned that it's illegal for hire companies to rent out red plate vehicles) and told them that I'd been fined 1000 baht which they refunded in full. 555

Edited by DannyCarlton
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

there are no 'official' red plates for motorbike, in Bangkok people just go without plates until theirs arrive.

other provinces have plates issued by the local police stations or even dealer's own. It won't be recognized outside of the province you got it from.

no logbooks either 

the purpose of these motorbike red plates is that in case where it gets stolen or involved in accidents before the plate arrive is that it makes the police job a little easier tracking them down

and the consequence of being caught with 'red' motorcycle plate outside the province is that  you are essentially riding an unregistered bike. if you can provide a receipt or invoice with date showing that you jut took delivery of the bike within weeks or months, you might get away without being fined. 

I drove a car on red plates for 18 months. Drove about 30,000Km and got stopped after about a year once in that tume.  They looked at the book, which I had never written in and waved me through.

Just my experience.

2 minutes ago, Toany said:

I drove a car on red plates for 18 months. Drove about 30,000Km and got stopped after about a year once in that tume.  They looked at the book, which I had never written in and waved me through.

Just my experience.

Very common amongst Thai posers who want everyone to think that they have a new car. Usually takes around a month for your permanent plates to be delivered.

7 minutes ago, digbeth said:

there are no 'official' red plates for motorbike, in Bangkok people just go without plates until theirs arrive.

other provinces have plates issued by the local police stations or even dealer's own. It won't be recognized outside of the province you got it from.

no logbooks either 

the purpose of these motorbike red plates is that in case where it gets stolen or involved in accidents before the plate arrive is that it makes the police job a little easier tracking them down

Incorrect information, there are red plates for bikes!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Darkside Gray said:

Incorrect information, there are red plates for bikes!

I didn't say there are no red plates, but that the plates given out are not issued by the department of land transport, and has no legal standing or any law to support them. they won't have the LTO seal or logbook and vary in shape and size

In various provinces, some motorcycle red plates are issued by the local  police station and would have the police station name on them, some might even have the name of the dealership instead. If you rode bike with those red plates into Bangkok, the Bangkok police won't recognize them and you are essentially riding without registration.... but even Bangkok police allow a grace period from taking delivery to getting proper plate so you can ride around without plates in Bangkok for a while

• Like 1

As usual, these different offices all have different information. 

I bought a new truck 4 months ago.  I was told by the official at the government vehicle office that as long as I fill out the book I'll be fine. No restrictions on when or where I drive. All of the check points I went through no one ever asked to see the book, day or night. In fact, I was never stopped. 

59 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Very common amongst Thai posers who want everyone to think that they have a new car. Usually takes around a month for your permanent plates to be delivered.

I wasn't posing, I didn't want the red plates.  Eventually I forced the garage to do the registration, by blocking off thier garage until they did it.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Toany said:

I wasn't posing, I didn't want the red plates.  Eventually I forced the garage to do the registration, by blocking off thier garage until they did it.

so they can do immediate registration, according what I read here, but the tax document seems to take still a lot of time to arrive, or do they get the motorbike tax paper immediately, I mean the one annual sticker we all have to put on the bike.

Is there a way to go thru entire registration and get a white plate and tax sticker immediately after purchasing a motorbike?

Hi,

In March 2018 I bought a new motorcycle in Khon Kaen. After 4 or 5 months there had been no word from the dealer and the bike had NO plate at all.

That's right no plate, red or white. There was no registration sticker.

At police checks I always had to show my licence but not one policeman asked about the missing plate. I got used to it. I did have a copy of the sales receipt just in case.

Finally I went back to the dealer and was ready for a stouch but they had it all ready. They gave me the green book with my name in it, the insurance certificate and fitted the white plate while I waited along with the rego.

I have wondered exactly how long the dealer would have waited?

From my experience don't sweat the small stuff but do make sure that you have a local licence because that small card really does make your way smooth with the police.

Perhaps I'm too frightening but no policeman has ever suggested that I make a donation either. I think that it's the licence. One or 2 policemen have nearly patted me on the head.

Edited by Billthekiwi
additional info

1 minute ago, Billthekiwi said:

Hi,

In March 2018 I bought a new motorcycle in Khon Kaen. After 4 or 5 months there had been no word from the dealer and the bike had NO plate at all.

That's right no plate, red or white.

At police checks I always had to show my licence but not one policeman asked about the missing plate. I got used to it. I did have a copy of the sales receipt just in case.

Finally I went back to the dealer and was ready for a stouch but they had it all ready. They gave me the green book with my name in it, the insurance certificate and fitted the white plate while I waited.

I have wondered exactly how long the dealer would have waited?

From my experience don't sweat the small stuff but do make sure that you have a local licence because that small card really does make your way smooth with the police.

Perhaps I'm too frightening but no policeman has ever suggested that I make a donation either. I think that it's the licence. One or 2 policemen have nearly patted me on the head.

I believe it is also about big bike or small bike, expensive or cheap, etc. Big expensive bike will make police want money... I do have local license but I am not sure they will feel, all is ok.... And if I buy for big money, I want to have an insurance too, but they need plate number etc.

I bought a scooter, it took two months to get the white plate, the dealer gave me a red one. But this time it is a big bike and I want to go on a trip thru Thailand, with luggage...the bike will definitely attract attention and the empty pockets of police.

So the question is, can I do the registration in one day by myself if the dealer prefers to sleep 3 months?

2 minutes ago, P100 said:

I believe it is also about big bike or small bike, expensive or cheap, etc. Big expensive bike will make police want money... I do have local license but I am not sure they will feel, all is ok.... And if I buy for big money, I want to have an insurance too, but they need plate number etc.

I bought a scooter, it took two months to get the white plate, the dealer gave me a red one. But this time it is a big bike and I want to go on a trip thru Thailand, with luggage...the bike will definitely attract attention and the empty pockets of police.

So the question is, can I do the registration in one day by myself if the dealer prefers to sleep 3 months?

Well my bike is top of the range in it's class. All 155cc of it's glory and it looks expensive. You must develop my scary look it seems....

As to your question then I suggest that you ask the dealer. Choose a dealer who can satisfy your requirements. Also it's a good idea to carry a copy of the documents under the seat. Just in case.

Ask your insurance company if they will insure your bike by the VIN number initially, should the plate be delayed. The VIN is more secure than a removable plate anyway. Ask.

Have a great road trip and I'm also passing on the wise words that were given to me... "treat every car as though it's trying to kill you."

Because they are. ????

27 minutes ago, P100 said:

so they can do immediate registration, according what I read here, but the tax document seems to take still a lot of time to arrive, or do they get the motorbike tax paper immediately, I mean the one annual sticker we all have to put on the bike.

The tax sticker is printed on the spot at the DLT.

If the dealer would have all papers ready the registration including white license plate and tax sticker would take maybe 30 minutes at the DLT.

27 minutes ago, P100 said:

Is there a way to go thru entire registration and get a white plate and tax sticker immediately after purchasing a motorbike?

Theoretically yes, practically the dealers are not able to do this for varying reasons.

17 minutes ago, P100 said:

Would be possible if the dealer would be able to give you the required documents.

Edited by jackdd

3 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

Was driving up country in a hire car with a red plate. Was told nothing by the hire company vis-a-vis restrictions to red plate vehicles. Stopped on the interstate highway near Khon Kaen. Police officer asked me for my log book which I was unaware of. Found it in the glove box and the officer pointed out that I hadn't filled my journey in. Initially fined me 2000 baht and a ticket. Being seasoned negotiators with the RTP my wife and I eventually had the fine reduced to 300 baht for cash and no ticket.

I later did some digging and found that the officer was completely correct regarding the offence and level of fine.  However, the RTP are the best in the world. Lovely people. I paid the 300 baht and all parties went away with big smiles on our faces.

Addenum. When I returned the car I remonstrated with the company (I'd since learned that it's illegal for hire companies to rent out red plate vehicles) and told them that I'd been fined 1000 baht which they refunded in full. 555

They gave you 1000bht with no police "fine" receipt.....? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, transam said:

Never seen a bike with a red plate. 

You can see it on a photo right here...

My next door neighbor has three brand new red-plated bikes at the moment, and there are normally always one brand new bike with red plates parked. No idea what they are up to, it's a private house...????

Well, today there seems to be four...

w20200313_124502_red-plate-bike_w800.jpg.d461aeb6a5e42b517f19b3bd0975707f.jpg

• Haha 1

I bought a new car and I said to the seller that I just wait until the white plates arrive, as I still has my good old car to drive in. But the seller insisted and delivered a red-plated car with flower decoration in the front. Why? Because everybody – "everybody" might be Thais only – makes face driving around in a red plated car, so they could not understand this "silly" farang. I must admit that the local girls were impressed, when I got a red plated car...:whistling:

I however never got any book, or instructions, or was told about limitations – I however had seen posts about it here in Thaivisa forum – so I just drove as normal for about a month, until I got white plates; and much less attention from local girls...????

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, transam said:

They gave you 1000bht with no police "fine" receipt.....? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. 

Hmm?  I wasn't aware that receipts were issued for these warning "fines"?

Perhaps the rental car company understood this. Also that it was cheaper for them to cough up rather than have someone complaining to the government.

Red number plate restrictions

Never mind any restrictions, just go where you want, or you can join the "scared of your own shadow" brigade.

When my bike was new, I rode from here upcountry to Bangkok, then down to Pattaya and back, with no number

plate at all, was stopped during a roadside check, nothing said.

• Like 1