Red number plate restrictions

P100

1 hour ago, P100 said:

so they can do immediate registration, according what I read here, but the tax document seems to take still a lot of time to arrive, or do they get the motorbike tax paper immediately, I mean the one annual sticker we all have to put on the bike.

Is there a way to go thru entire registration and get a white plate and tax sticker immediately after purchasing a motorbike?

Yes, you can refuse delivery/the cheque until the presentation of the white plate and they'll bend over backwards to get it done, but that means your car/bike will be parked there for however long it takes for them to get their act together.

Another option is to register yourself, the dealership can provide you with a 'registration kit' of necessary documents from the manufacturer that you can take with the vehicle to the DLT to inspect and register, and you drive home with a plate that afternoon (in theory) 

what usually happens is that the manufacturer would only release the 'registration kit' upon settlement of funds from the dealership... so you see why the dealership will prolong the registration as long as possible

My tuppence worth, both referring to cars. April 2007, I bought a new Fortuner in Bangkok. Drove it day and night and at least once up to Sakhon Nakon. Got stopped there at a road block once just after midnight and that was where I learned about the red book, which I didn't have. No problem and they let me go.

Second occasion, new Camry from Petchaburi again on red plates from Feb until Dec 2013. Drove day and night and left the province several times. Never got a pull once apart from random road checks which they let me through. Never wrote a word in the red book in the ten months.

Looks like it's a lottery when you get pulled.

Edited by a10ams

1 hour ago, transam said:

They gave you 1000bht with no police "fine" receipt.....? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. 

And a profuse apology. I told them that I had negotiated the fine down from 2k baht on the understanding that there wouldn't be any paperwork, which, in itself, was true. Standard practice when in roadside negotiations with the RTP.

Don't believe me? Do I really give a dog's toss what you believe?

Edited by DannyCarlton
  • Haha 1

Just now, DannyCarlton said:

And a profuse apology.

Don't believe me? Do I really give a dog's toss what you believe?

Nobody is saying they don't believe you, suffice to say you do seem to live a more colourfull life than the average poster on here. ????????????

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

If the dealer would have all papers ready the registration including white license plate and tax sticker would take maybe 30 minutes at the DLT.

Certainly not in Pattaya. The registration plates are manufactured elswhere and can take weeks to be returned to the local DLT. I think that the hologram is the significant part of the manufacture.

9 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Certainly not in Pattaya. The registration plates are manufactured elswhere and can take weeks to be returned to the local DLT. I think that the hologram is the significant part of the manufacture.

The license plates don't have to be manufactured when you register a vehicle, the DLTs keep them in stock and issue one which they have in stock (at least in Bangkok, Udon and Chiang Mai, i assume it's the same in every province).

If you want a special number, or lost the license plate and need a new one with specific numbers, then it might of course take a while to have them produced.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 2

On 3/13/2020 at 2:15 PM, DannyCarlton said:

I assume Banglamung (Pattaya) transport department number plates are distributed by the main Chonburi transport department, both times ive been there they had plenty of plates in stock (I chose my current plates from what was available) so not sure why there would be a delay in getting a plate at Banglamung by more than a day.

My understanding of the delay is at dealership level in that they hold off on getting the vehicle registered because once that happens they are liable to make payment to the vehicle company.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/12/2020 at 4:32 PM, Kwasaki said:

Only know about car/truck, fill out a book as said of destination and you can't drive after dark. 

Remember something about toll ways but that don't apply to bikes anyway.

We were told no travel after dark and every journey has to be recorded

On 3/15/2020 at 1:48 PM, P100 said:

a bit outdated and seems not to reflect the status quo on the streets

What is outdated? Agree, it does not reflect what is happening on the streets, but legally it seems to be correct.

• Like 1

On 3/16/2020 at 5:23 PM, stevenl said:

What is outdated? Agree, it does not reflect what is happening on the streets, but legally it seems to be correct.

Yep, not unusual, just one more Thai law that does not reflect what is happening (or being enforced) on the streets.  

On 3/15/2020 at 8:16 AM, Don Mega said:

I assume Banglamung (Pattaya) transport department number plates are distributed by the main Chonburi transport department, both times ive been there they had plenty of plates in stock (I chose my current plates from what was available) so not sure why there would be a delay in getting a plate at Banglamung by more than a day.

My understanding of the delay is at dealership level in that they hold off on getting the vehicle registered because once that happens they are liable to make payment to the vehicle company.

yes probably they want to keep my money in their bank as long as possible. I will try insisting on only pay when received the plate...