How to obtain "Meditation Visa"?

Hello All, 

I am wondering if any of you can be kind enough to teach and advise a newbie from Singapore on how to obtain a "Meditation Visa" for me to meditate long-term in a thai forest retreat and the like.

I was told that in order to obtain a "Meditation Visa", I have to obtain some sort of sponsorship letter from a monk or something. How should I do that? Is the sponsorship letter in english or thai? I don't speak a word of thai so that would work against me.

So what happens after I get the sponsorship letter from a monk? What are the procedures like for me to get a long-term visa to meditate long-term in Thailand? Are there any need to put in a deposit into Thailand Bank accounts?

I am sorry for asking so many questions to the veterans in here but I am a noob when it comes to searching for information on long-stay meditation in Thailand.

Thank you so much for helping me out.

Namaste.

Edited by ceptists

There is a one year extension of stay possible. "In the case of studying Buddhism or practicing religious activities".

"(2) Must have been confirmed and requested by the National Office of Buddhism, or Office of the
Prime Minister, or Mahachulalongkornrajavidyalaya University, or Mahamakut Buddhist
University.
(3) Must have been confirmed by the abbot of the temple where the applicant is studying Buddhism
or practicing religious activities."

Source: https://division1.immigration.go.th/content/Visa_Extension13

You would need a non-ed or non-r visa to apply for the extension.

It is possible to change from a tourist visa or visa entry to a non-r visa at immigration.

Requirements are here. https://division1.immigration.go.th/download/1551328488648.pdf

Get another type of visa. One eg would be METV and just go do your thing with the med thing. 

Same for someone wanting to study Thai. Yes Ed visa valid option but nothing stopping anyone attending Thai language classes on a tourist visa. 

By the by, there is no such animal as a "meditation visa".  There is one for: studying Buddhism or practicing religious activities.  It's an "Ed" visa, good for one year.  And like Ubon Joe says, you have to get some temple abbot to sign a letter for you to get it.  

On 3/13/2020 at 4:51 PM, dluek said:

It's the only monastery in Thailand where English is the main language used for teaching and general communication. It's in Ubon Ratchathani in the Northeast and was founded by disciples of the late Ajahn Chah. Very much a forest monastery devoted to meditation.

I also was going to comment that the most obvious route would be a monestary in the lineage of Ajahn Chah, which have now had several decades of farang monks in the forest tradition, some of whom have become well known. The OP would almost certainly find help and guidance from fellow foreigners within the organisations you mention in your post. 

On 3/13/2020 at 9:18 PM, khaowong1 said:

Wat Pah Nanachat in my opinion is the best, but they won't even allow you to keep your cell phone with you while your there.  

Rôôôhhh... 

How can one live without his cellphone, one wonder ????

How can one meditate without fakebook, Twister, What'sUp, and so on ? Blioup-blioup-blip...

Seriously ????

Could not resist sorry ????