Truck wipes out ‘song taew’, three escape with minor injuries

webfact

Truck wipes out ‘song taew’, three escape with minor injuries

By Eakkapop Thongtub

1584001562_1-org.jpg

The two vehicles involved in the collision, the ‘song taew’ in the foreground and the truck in the distance, as rescue workers and police survey the scene. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: Three people escaped without life-threatening injuries after a truck collided with a local bus in front of Chaomae Lakmuang Shrine, on the northbound section of Thepkrasattri Rd, Moo 5, Thepkrasattri, early this morning (Mar 12).

The local bus, otherwise known as a “song taew”, suffered massive damage. Its driver, 71-year-old Mr Phon Wonghiran, sustained scratches and bruises across his chest and to his right leg and was taken to hospital.

The Pathum Thani registered truck had veered off the road following the collision and also sustained damages. Its driver, Kiattipon Phittayanan, 28, and his passenger, On-uma Chanpruek, 38, had suffered injuries to their bodies and were taken to Thalang Hospital.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/truck-wipes-out-song-taew-three-escape-with-minor-injuries-75245.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2020-03-12

3 minutes ago, Kopitiam said:

Looking at the picture, it looks like the song taew is made of cardboard.  Luckily there was no passenger on board.

I saw a few of these lined up in the vehicle testing/registration place a couple of years ago and I thought they were there to be scrapped??

This because I had a close look at them and, well for want of a better description, they were rotten, from the metal floor and mudguards, through to other metal parts, and the wooden bits weren't much better either!

In fact in one of them, the floor beneath the driver's feet had rotted through and someone had placed the equivalent of an old tin tray/similar to cover the hole.

How they passed anything would be a mystery.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Asked whether police had conducted alcohol tests on either driver Lt Pattarakorn confirmed they had not, stating, “I did not smell any alcohol from them.”

When asked whether any charges would be made, he said, “at this stage, we are still working on the investigation.

BIB excels as usual. No testing just tried the smell test.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

<deleted> is a 71 yer old doing driving public transport? His reaction times are going to be mush.

I know in this case he was rear ended but that part of the highway is a racetrack and u-turning is a nightmare for a driver with normal reactions. He really was an accident waiting to happen.

A few months back a tuk tuk driver in his 70s took out a police box in Kathu. 3 days later (delayed shock?) he had a massive heart attack and died. All drivers at crashes should be tested as a matter of course.