SET fall 10% today. Thai stock exchange halt.

Someone told me they invest in the stock market because it doesn't crash 20% in a day (like bitcoin). It's because it's rigged and they stop trading or their hearth couldn't handle it! 

Edited by Tayaout

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

All stock exchanges are taking a pummeling, not just Thailand. I'm just trying to estimate where the bottom is, to start buying. There are good value shares being trashed on fear, and some people will make a motza when the market recovers. Not buying any airline stocks, though.

But if you are an uber bear then this could presage a decade long depression. So they are are still not cheap. Depends whether your glass is half full or empty. 

Image result for depression stock market graph

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, saengd said:

You should tell that someone to get help and you should stop hanging around with him.

So the underlying force for the strong baht is dropping, why isn't the baht following now?

• Confused 1

30 minutes ago, thedemon said:

Sumeth Damrongchaitham, President of THAI Airways has just resigned today

Really? There may be hope for Thai yet, if they're not careful, they may return to profit in the next ten years!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Thian said:

So the underlying force for the strong baht is dropping, why isn't the baht following now?

The SET is not the underlying force for the value of the Baht, the value of the Baht is not dependent on what happens on the SET. An old adage goes, equities up, currencies down, and visa versa. The following may help explain:

Edited by saengd
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, URMySunshine said:

But if you are an uber bear then this could presage a decade long depression. So they are are still not cheap. Depends whether your glass is half full or empty. 

Image result for depression stock market graph

That chart only applies if you were long  at the top. If you bought in anywhere in the bottom range, you did well, and in a short time. Further, if like me, you are someone who buys dividend yielding stocks, you are quite happy to get the high yields during the long wait for capital appreciation.

That said, this is a falling knife folks. Plan accordingly.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, saengd said:

The SET is not the underlying force for the value of the Baht, the value of the Baht is not dependent on what happens on the SET. An old adage goes, equities up, currencies down, and visa versa.

So what should happen before the baht will drop?

2 minutes ago, saengd said:

The SET is not the underlying force for the value of the Baht, the value of the Baht is not dependent on what happens on the SET. An old adage goes, equities up, currencies down, and visa versa.

The value of the Baht certainly is affected if significant foreign investors exit their stock positions, and sell their THB to move it back to USD or other currencies.

This could be a recession that lasts for a while. At the moment no one knows the effect the extent of Covid-19 will have on the markets. It seems that the oil issue between Saudi Arabia and Russia was another catalyst that started the slide into the bear market. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Thian said:

Let me take a wild guess.

Because the underlying force for Euro - USD and whatever other currency is dropping at the same time and same rate?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Susco said:

Let me take a wild guess.

Because the underlying force for Euro - USD and whatever other currency is dropping at the same time and same rate?

Wildly incorrect, none of those things are happening, separate equities values from currencies.

• Confused 1

19 minutes ago, timendres said:

That chart only applies if you were long  at the top. If you bought in anywhere in the bottom range, you did well, and in a short time. Further, if like me, you are someone who buys dividend yielding stocks, you are quite happy to get the high yields during the long wait for capital appreciation.

That said, this is a falling knife folks. Plan accordingly.

My hunch is things right much quicker in this interconnected age and sense a bottom at maybe 50% of the top. When the whole world virtually shuts down and the body bags pile up fear will be total and that period is likely to last for two months once the peak starts to establish. The logic and epidemiological profile of the virus tells us this. Portfolios will be liquidated when the owners are no longer here to manage them. Maybe that will be the time to buy on in. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Susco said:

Only who is so full of himself would quote his own post to explain his ignorance

There are plenty of other posters in that thread to confirm what is being said, you can read it and learn whilst on my ignore list, come back much later when you're ready to debate the subject sensibly and with some knowledge. Byee.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Tayaout said:

Someone told me they invest in the stock market because it doesn't crash 20% in a day (like bitcoin). It's because it's rigged and they stop trading or their hearth couldn't handle it! 

Please do not invest one more baht in your life. Are you aware that you just compared virtual cryptocurrency with the stock market? You still do not se they are totally uncomparable, due to it´s gigantically different volatility?

45 minutes ago, Thian said:

It´s not going to follow like you think, and you never see the change the same day. I would estimate that the baht will drop about 1% tomorrow.

14 minutes ago, URMySunshine said:

My hunch is things right much quicker in this interconnected age and sense a bottom at maybe 50% of the top. When the whole world virtually shuts down and the body bags pile up fear will be total and that period is likely to last for two months once the peak starts to establish. The logic and epidemiological profile of the virus tells us this. Portfolios will be liquidated when the owners are no longer here to manage them. Maybe that will be the time to buy on in. 

This will depend on which market you are considering, as well as the underlying economic impact of the pandemic. Studies show that recent US market recoveries are longer and slower compared to decades before, mostly due to slower growth during the recoveries. If the impact of this pandemic is a global recession, that might also cause recovery in any market to be slower. Betting on liquidation to form the bottom, has the flip side of implying fewer buyers to drive the market back up. But you are absolutely correct to point out that total panic is the time to start considering legging back in.

• Like 2