'People are terrified': Daily life on hold as Americans face coronavirus threat

webfact

2 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

The original article reported on the  emotional state of some people and referenced  specific examples. There was a wave of anger in the forum: Not true, lies, click bait etc.   When I  supported the initial report, I was ridiculed, insulted and  dismissed.  Then, when I provided some specific examples that substantiate the original article, some angry respondents  doubled down on their insistence that because they do not see it, it does not exist.

No one has said that every part of the USA is gripped with terror. However, there are a growing number of locations, where people are scared and behaving accordingly.  One would not expect locations where there are no cases, no state of emergency declared, to be  as stressed as people in Seattle or Boston or NYC.

I expect that as more cases are reported, more economic loses incurred  and more deaths reported, the deniers here will see many more examples. Let's revisit in 2 weeks.

Do you happen to know if a test given to someone who had the virus but has recovered from it would test positive for the virus or negative?

9 hours ago, Tug said:

Nooo the testing isent available yet on a large scale even with lots and lots of advance warning some interestes want to keep the numbers low because it doesent serve their interests to know the truth

Who all is in on this conspiracy?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

here is a boots on the ground report from Clifton New Jersey where I am currently working on a contract assignment.  Went to Stop and Shop grocery store last night.  Not particularly busy.  All toilet paper and napkins and paper towels were gone.  All boxes of Pasta were gone.  All cans of regular corn were gone, but there were plenty of cans of cream corn.  Most of canned vegetables were gone with the exception of green beans.  Canned carrots, potatoes, gone.   Many vegetables were gone from the produce section:  No Potatoes, no Onions, no Garlic, bags of salad.  Many fruits were gone, pears, oranges, etc.  Literally no Frozen vegetables in the freezer.   Meats and milk and other dairy all fully stocked.

Later went to Shop Rite, another large grocery chain.  Again, All Pasta was gone.  Even Kraft Mac and Cheese which I like once a week!  Produce was fully stocked, potatoes, onions, etc.   Pallets of Scott paper products were being unloaded as I shopped.  Canned vegetables were a little more abundant.  Frozen vegetable choices were slim.

Local city was closing the elementary schools for a while.  Willowbrook Shopping mall is still open.  I can see the New York City skyline from my hotel across the river just as a reference point for where I am.   Yeah a few dozen cases allegedly reported.   Some unconfirmed rumors they may shut down the work location.  Broadway shows in NY are closed, theaters are told to only allow 50% capacity seating.  Nothing I can do about any of that nor care much about.  If work shuts down, well, I go back to my home in Florida and hang out.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Sheryl said:

I'm from NY and my family, many of them very elderly, are there.

There is a huge difference between being concerned and being "terrified".  The former is conducive to rational thought and actions and does not subject the body to additional stress.  The latter is not and does.

Most Americans including those in hard hit areas are, fortunately, not "terrified". Despite efforts of some on social media to invoke that response.

Bit of walk back now. From an outright dismissal to some couched words acknowledging that there is a segment of the population that is frightened. Yes, I expect that most people have remained relatively calm and are taking this in stride, nor would I ever describe the USA as being in a state of terror. The article did not say that either. It reported on people who were terrified. 

Tossing out the canard of social media as being a factor in the community panic does not explain why people who do not pay attention to social media were foolishly fighting over toilet paper or water despite the fact that the USA  manufactures toilet paper and has  abundant water supplies. The simple explanation is that which has always explained panic or mob actions; People take cues from others; when one panic buys, or acts up in a crowd, others will follow. 

The reality in a number of large population centers is that store shelves have been stripped clean. Multiple  brawls in parking lots of Walmart, Target and Publix etc. (Higher than the  usual number.) Calls to  help lines are reported to have exceeded holiday season peaks. Parents do not douse their children with disinfectant unless they are fearful.  It may be irrational, but it is there in plain view. Ignoring it, or dismissing it does not make it go away or stop. 

Why this comes as a surprise to anyone is the puzzling aspect. It is not as if this has not occurred previously. Following California earthquakes and significant hurricanes in the Gulf, there has been worse. The immediate aftermath of Hurricane Katrina in parts of Louisiana was outright anarchy. The difference here is that there is a robust supply chain and abundant food and water. Store shelves will soon be restocked, cleaning supplies will soon be back in stores. Unfortunately, my saying that  does not change the fact that a growing number of people are fearful and yes, some are terrified. 

16 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

Depends on the test. Antibody based tests will give this indication. The preferred test in the USA, will not. 

The USA is currently relying on the CDC supplied Real-Time RT-PCR Diagnostic Panel, that finally became available February 28, 2020. This test identifies the presence of the virus. hence, the term Real Time. These are the tests that rely on the swabs.

Supplementing this test is the long used and reliable ELISA antibody test that uses a  blood sample. If you have ever had blood work done for testing of HIV etc. it is the same approach.

Other test options are available, primarily outside the government distribution system. These can be the quick antibody tests. They typically detect both early marker and late marker antibodies in human finger <deleted> or venous blood samples. These are the  public screening tests that the Chinese and South Koreans deployed to manage and to contain their epidemic.

Notes:

i) The CDC has been the predominate source of test kits for public health agencies. First infections appeared in the USA in early January and the WHO offered test kits to the USA  at the time, but the USA declined to use, insisting on its own test kits.

ii) The CDC has the position that the preferred test is the RT-PCR.  The CDC position is that since antibodies continue to circulate even after the infection is cleared, serology tests will continue to be positive for individuals who have been previously exposed and developed an immune response which means a positive test may not indicate an active infection.      Although  a valid statement,  the  position  has been criticized because it  minimizes the extent of the infection. The advantage of the quick screens is that they can identify patients who are either symptomatic or asymptomatic. As we know, many of the infected are asymptomatic, showing no clinical symptoms of the virus, but infecting others as they circulate. The antibody tests identify those who have been exposed to the virus and facilitates tracking and identification of clusters. They also identify a greater number of people who have been exposed to the virus.

The CDC position is that the anti body blood tests should  be used for surveillance and/or investigational purposes only, while the molecular test methodologies should be used to diagnosis active infections.

Time will tell whether this has been a strategic error or not.

IMO, the CDC may have the realization that the  epidemic is widespread and that the best strategy now is to use the limited testing capability and limited  resources to identify active cases. 

Thank You very much. Very informative. That is exactly what I wanted to know.

16 hours ago, Skallywag said:

Hello "stuck in states".  Did you know you can drink water out of the tap in most all 50 U.S. states?  I did for 59 years in Arizona, Washington, and Alaska

Also, you can easily get a 3 way valve for your toilet and install a "bum gun" and reduce your toilet paper usage down to nothing (if you wash then use a towel)

Good luck - big challenges means thinking outside the box

Peace

AAghhhh Ghad!! Not more guns in the States.

• Haha 1

I live in the Bay area, one of the hardest hit areas in the states and people certainly are not terrified.

In fact there are many people celebrating St Patrick's Day going out to bars and restaurants, unwittingly spreading this disease and raising the curve for all of us.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 3/14/2020 at 9:23 AM, Jingthing said:

You're correct. PUBLIC HEALTH. The best possible outcomes. The earliest possible measures that actually work.

It's hilarious that you accuse others of politicizing this when the gist of your posts is about shilling 45 propaganda on how this is no big deal until way too late he was literally forced (by the stock market) to change his tune. Way too late. 45's efforts to act like this isn't a big deal over several weeks have literally led to many American deaths and more to come. I recently heard of a study showing 45 fans wash their hands less believing his "it's no big deal" lies. Let's grow up, OK? It is a big deal. It's good that more action is being taken now (in a bipartisan way) but for all of time, 45 will be to blame for wasting weeks and weeks of time delaying that. Shame on him and all people that defend that mistake. 

45 LOL

20 hours ago, Jingthing said:

This suggests the mood depends on specifically where you are in the USA. 

It's a very big country. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/coronavirus-anxious-american-life/2020/03/14/f071769e-63e8-11ea-845d-e35b0234b136_story.html

Life in the U.S.: Startlingly different in some places, oddly unchanged in others

As the outbreak spreads, some people have withdrawn into their homes, separating themselves from contact with strangers. Others insist on proceeding as usual, but even they slam into constant reminders — canceled events, closed schools, shuttered offices, fearful friends — that there is no “as usual” right now.

Where I live ( not in the US ) life is so normal that I have to ask other people if it's true, as I sometimes think I'm just having a bad dream. NO ONE is wearing masks. 

As I no longer go to any public events, like concerts, it hasn't affected me personally. Far as I'm concerned it'd be a great time to go travelling, but I won't go overseas as our government has joined others and is requiring 14 days isolation on entry, which is a nonsense- are the taxi drivers wearing hazmat suits? I suppose it's to try and calm the approaching panic before it happens. It's certainly going to wipe out anyone involved in tourism.

• Like 2

On 3/14/2020 at 6:15 AM, PhonThong said:

What a load of <deleted>. I just returned from the states and it was nothing like this. Life was going on as normal. Stores were full of product and restaurants were serving customers as usual. I didn't observe any panic buying. The media is just spreading lies.

About 10 days ago I was shopping at my local Kroger grocery store near Richmond, VA.  They had a special on one brand of TP, like $4. for 12 double rolls.  But my store didn't get their delivery.  Fast forward one week, and there was nothing left on the long aisle with paper products - TP, paper towels, facial tissue, napkins. Milk and eggs were running low and there was very little left of canned beans, pasta, canned soup and tomato products. There were not many potatoes left in the fresh section. Oh, and zero bottles of rubbing alcohol.

I'm due to go back tomorrow for a few essentials like beer and cigarettes.  It will be interesting. 

I was invited to attend a scholarship award dinner at Virginia Commonwealth University on the 31st of the month - canceled. They named a scholarship in honor of my son but it's taken about 12 years for them to get around to inviting me (bureaucracy).  No biggie, just go with the flow.

Edited by Damrongsak

On 3/14/2020 at 3:55 AM, ThailandRyan said:

Wait......I wont live to be as old as Methuselah......someone lied to me......

Same here.  Some have said I'm older than Dirt, but that's not true.  Though we did grow up in the sandbox together. He taught me a few things about developing immunities that has served me well to this day.

It had to do with diet - eat mud.

image.jpeg.76f421ca472d504f0b57a5796f3cba1b.jpeg

Edited by Damrongsak
  • Like 1

On 3/14/2020 at 9:37 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

A psychologist on talk back radio explained why people go for the toilet paper. Silly reason, which just goes to show how the human race has not advanced much psychologically. Most think they are sophisticated, but when something like this comes along some revert to primitive actions.

I am not sure who said it ... but I think its something in the statement that human kind are in general are only '3 hot meals away from anarchy' .. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Damrongsak said:

Same here.  Some have said I'm older than Dirt, but that's not true.  Though we did grow up in the sandbox together. He taught me a few things about developing immunities that has served me well to this day.

It had to do with diet - eat mud.

image.jpeg.76f421ca472d504f0b57a5796f3cba1b.jpeg

Well that sure looks like Type 2 diabetes in the making ... eating some mud may be a good thing ... It sure will give you a strong healthy immune system .. something that constant washing will Detox will not do ...

Off topic deflection posts and replies about Bernie Sanders' election campaign have been removed as this topic is not about that. This topic is about 'People are terrified': Daily life on hold as Americans face coronavirus threat.

We went to the grocery store today and the first signs of hoarding appeared here. The thing is there is no supply chain problem. Now that all of the financially illiterate have bought their toilet paper, Spam and Hormel chili using their credit cards at 21% the buying will die down. 

The mega superstores get hit like Costco and the Walmart on the junction of the freeways. People hit those places because if they are buying three years of canned pinto beans they need a good price. The more local, regional supermarkets don't get quite the hit like that, prices are a bit higher. 

Last time I saw shops this poorly stocked was probably an average day at Villa Market when things you like just disappear. 

It might be that people are panicking in places such as NYC and the West Coast. It was obvious that would happen. I guess I live in WV where there is still not a verified case. I find that unbelievable being how close to Pittsburgh we are. .

I don't see the toilet paper and canned toxic food section of Walmart being empty as a sign of panic I guess. Would be more worried if I were living abroad using USD with the Fed cutting rates like they did. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

How does someone drink from a tap when standing at a bus stop? 

With a water bottle you filled yourself. Before you went to the bus stop. 

53 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

Last time I saw shops this poorly stocked was probably an average day at Villa Market when things you like just disappear. 

LOL...I cpuldnt get my fav coffee one time for a month in Tops. Made me crazy. Must have been backpackers buying it to bring home, hey Ma, thats for like paying for my trip to Asia, here is coffee I bought you, that sort of thing.

Apropos of nothing, there are no shortages of ANYTHING here in Siem Reap. No panic buying of beans and the shelves are still stocked with bingo tickets, clorox, alcohol (inflated prices) and canned soup. 

Probably because Cambodians cant afford that stuff. There havent been a bunch of frogs and dogs around though

Hey folks in Florida and the South, heres a great way to pass the time during virus panic and shortages. If its warm enough, grab a buddy and a flashlight as well as a Louisville slugger and head to a golf course pond. Have your bud just shine the light at the edge of the pond and when you see the beam light up a pair of eyes, sneak over with your bat and knock old Jeremiah into froggy heaven. Collect in a bag, and when you have a dozen or so, have a frog fry! Tastes like chicken.

• Haha 1

On 3/15/2020 at 1:53 PM, Cryingdick said:

Vast numbers aren't tested because it gives you a mild sniffle. It would be a waste of time to test everybody born.You realize the insurance companies have offered tests for free right? No co-pay.

Is there not the case that a test which confirmed that an older person is affected would mean there is quick focused medical attention rather than continue (as per your approach) and not know they are sick and should be getting serious medical attention to ill the virus?. 

7 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

We went to the grocery store today and the first signs of hoarding appeared here. The thing is there is no supply chain problem. Now that all of the financially illiterate have bought their toilet paper, Spam and Hormel chili using their credit cards at 21% the buying will die down. 

The mega superstores get hit like Costco and the Walmart on the junction of the freeways. People hit those places because if they are buying three years of canned pinto beans they need a good price. The more local, regional supermarkets don't get quite the hit like that, prices are a bit higher. 

The same people who criticize democrats for being elitist have no problem with applauding snobbish comments like Cryingdick's? You don't ever top yourarugola with spam or hormel chili? You should give it a go.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, URMySunshine said:

just think about that for a moment when it is unleashed on the morbidly obese, diabetic and the elderly in the US and the hospitals are overwhelmed in about 10 days time.

Which is why you would think Trump would have acted earlier. That description of yours also describes Trump's political base. He's helping to kill off the very people he needs for those paper thin margins in Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin, and, what is known as God's Waiting Room, Florida. Simple self interest would make you think he would have done something. But, no. He tried to protect the stock markets. At all costs. 

27 minutes ago, zydeco said:

Which is why you would think Trump would have acted earlier. That description of yours also describes Trump's political base. He's helping to kill off the very people he needs for those paper thin margins in Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin, and, what is known as God's Waiting Room, Florida. Simple self interest would make you think he would have done something. But, no. He tried to protect the stock markets. At all costs. 

He cares for no-one save himself his family and his monstrous ego - that has been clear from the very off. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, URMySunshine said:

He cares for no-one save himself his family and his monstrous ego - that has been clear from the very off. 

Thats such a childish statement. Why dont you tell that to the families of the dead soldiers he honours at Dover AirForce base.

He does have a monstrous ego, but he doesnt use I as much as Barack. Plus he never promised to heal the planet.