Self quarantine - What does it mean?

Susco

I am not sick at all, but I was informed that a relative is in a critical condition ( not covid-19) and may pass away in the next few days.

That would mean that I may have to temporarily return to my home country in the near future.

With all the hoohaa going on these days and it earlier been suggested, but later retracted, that arrivals from high risk countries should go in self quarantine, that may well be in effect by the time I return to Thailand.

My country is a high risk country.

So what does it mean? I presume they don't place an armed guard at the entrance of your house to prevent you go shopping, so how do they control if you comply with the rules if this should be required?

From the Thai government website, the Communicable Diseases Act, B.E. 2558 (2015) is being used as part of the legal basis for enforcement. As Sheryl helpfully mentioned, it has been in the news that there should be a daily check-in with health officials. The Thai government website goes on to say that if "travelers do not comply with the law, they will face penalty under the law. The offender will be fined up to 100,000 Thai Baht or imprisoned up to one year in jail or both of those penalties."

Thailand was also mentioned in a February 27 Wall Street Journal article about countries doing things like stripping permanent-residency, work permits, etc. from those weren't fully up-front with health authorities - in Thailand's case, about a traveler who delayed telling authorities that he had visited Japan: "Singapore this week charged a Chinese couple under the Infectious Diseases Act for giving false information about their movements. The city-state has also stripped people of their permanent-resident status and revoked foreigners’ work passes over virus-related infractions. Thai officials on Wednesday criticized an infected citizen who delayed telling authorities he had traveled to Japan and caused them to test dozens of others."

Things have seemingly gotten more serious in terms of COVID-19 in most countries (outside of China) since then.

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

I believe health officials check in with you daily in some manner.

But you'll need to check the rules before you return as constantly changing.

Yes i'm aware of the frequent rule changes.

Are you aware of any such self quarantine is planned for arrivals from certain western countries?

2 minutes ago, Susco said:

Yes i'm aware of the frequent rule changes.

Are you aware of any such self quarantine is planned for arrivals from certain western countries?

Thats a little difficult to answer as things are literally changing daily.

My advice would be to check with the airline on the day of travel, they would (should) know what awaits their passengers on arrival at destination. As would the respective Airport information centres.

13 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Thats a little difficult to answer as things are literally changing daily.

My advice would be to check with the airline on the day of travel, they would (should) know what awaits their passengers on arrival at destination. As would the respective Airport information centres.

I wouldn't wait until then as that can be a bit nerve wracking. I'd visit the IATA's website for advice and also look to what the airline says on it's website. If you are satisfied that you still want to go ahead and travel, then you can check with the airline on the day of travel.

This is regularly updated, yesterday for instance UK and USA were added to the list of countries with ongoing local transmission. For these countries 14 days self-quarantine will be required, reporting of temperature and movements etc. The most serious category of countries is those listed as disease infected zones, these are subject to the most serious measures, including requiring a visa, and a medical certificate stating they're free of covid-19 etc.

https://www.tatnews.org/2020/03/tat-update-thailand-public-health-ministry-upgraded-covid-19-control-measures-for-travellers/

16 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

This is regularly updated, yesterday for instance UK and USA were added to the list of countries with ongoing local transmission. For these countries 14 days self-quarantine will be required, reporting of temperature and movements etc. The most serious category of countries is those listed as disease infected zones, these are subject to the most serious measures, including requiring a visa, and a medical certificate stating they're free of covid-19 etc.

https://www.tatnews.org/2020/03/tat-update-thailand-public-health-ministry-upgraded-covid-19-control-measures-for-travellers/

This is the preferred link  https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/ind_outbreak.php

Quarantine is NOT currently required for travelers from areas with ongoing local transmission but rather self-monitoring:

"3. All travelers are recommended to implement control for observation (meaning supervision without quarantine) in order to ensure self-monitoring at their residence for no less than 14 days and comply with the recommendations.'

Though there is also this caveat " They have to obtain permission from the officers for going out of the hotels/residences when deemed necessary. "

And this could all change at any time.

• Like 1