Dimwit Brit would rather not electrocute himself

Toolong

Readily admitting that it's shameful that a 59 year old man who's not generally a fool doesn't by now know this.....I humbly ask for some basic advice regarding changing a ceiling light fixture at home. 

Basically there's a light shade hanging from the ceiling. There's a switch on the wall that turns the light on and off. I want to change the ceiling light shade. I need someone to answer this question for me: If the wall switch is NOT turned ON, can I safely disconnect/handle the wires on the ceiling and connect to a new light shade without risk of electrocuting myself? Or do I have to shut down my electricity in the house before doing anything? 

I would obviously rather not shut down the electricity to the whole house. Help would be appreciated...wish I wasn't so ignorant about electrics!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, saengd said:

Suggest also you might want to ignore the advice about pulling fuses since that is stone age stuff.

Thanks a lot - my new built house here in Bangkok has wire fuse as main cut off when sold in 1975 and was not aware we were in the stone age then.  Expect there are still many such knife switches in use.

image.jpeg.fe9b63f9c183934ac44d8f6ac1abe20a.jpeg

• Like 1

saengd...your idea sounds sensible and is also what Chazar is saying, sort of, but more wholesale shutdown. Wouldn't have to shut down system for long. (I guess)

tifino....thanks but what's 'double-ganged'?

Thanks guys!

2 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Thanks a lot - my new built house here in Bangkok has wire fuse as main cut off when sold in 1975 and was not aware we were in the stone age then.  Expect there are still many such knife switches in use.

image.jpeg.fe9b63f9c183934ac44d8f6ac1abe20a.jpeg

Agreed knife switches are still quite common, but fuses? Only if you live in an old car perhaps. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Toolong said:

saengd...your idea sounds sensible and is also what Chazar is saying, sort of, but more wholesale shutdown. Wouldn't have to shut down system for long. (I guess)

tifino....thanks but what's 'double-ganged'?

Thanks guys!

Sure, you could just throw the main breaker and that should be double sure, just understand however that you'll shut down all your appliances that way so think about things that need to be reset afterwards plus time for food in the fridge/freezer.

A double gang is two switches controlling the same light.

Edited by saengd
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Actually they would have fuse wire inside that you replaced when blown.  And they do still have main round fuse in many homes here.

Image result for thailand main fuse

We upgraded to candles plus we bought a new abacus at the same time. :))

(joking of course, we couldn't find an abacus running Linux)

Appreciate all comments & suggestion, even the odd ones. 

saengd....get what you're saying about resetting things if brief total shutdown, thanks.

Truth is.....Thai wife could find out for me in minutes, or find someone to do it for pennies or even do it herself!......But I'm too ashamed to reveal my total freakin ignorance!

I have a similar setup,  but most importantly is the feed also feeds another electrical outlet. So flipping the switch may kill the light, but the wires may still be 'hot'. Invest the $$ for a voltage tester, especially in Thailand where the groundings may be questionable. Or better yet, just pay someone to do it for you, always choose the safer alternative. 

12 hours ago, Daffy D said:

As usual a simple question gets complicated by some stupid answers.

This is Thailand and the only way to be sure that you won't kill yourself is to turn off the mains switch in your consumer unit.

Is the correct answer. In theory, you should be able to go to your consumer unit, flip off the appropriate circuit breaker and work safely on the circuit.

BUT, this is Thailand and I have lived in a house where switching off the circuit breaker did NOT kill the live side. It switched off the neutral side instead. Even replacing a florescent ring tube was risky!

The only way to ensure that you're working on a dead circuit is to knock off main switch. And you need to ensure that it kills both sides of the circuit. The knife switch, illustrated above in #15 will do that.

You can, in addition, check for a live wire by using a simple electricians test screwdriver, the one with a glowing element inside.

Above don't take a risk. If you're not absolutely sure that you know you're doing admit it and get someone in who does.

Take care.

• Like 2