Mask wearing etiquette at Jomtien immigration

Jingthing

7 minutes ago, GeorgeCross said:

as it looks like there is a split between the benefits of wearing a mask from the experts (for clarity i'm going N95 here) depending on which side of the planet you ask on, i'm going to go with the time honored plus or minus points to make my decision:

pros: they work and could save my life and those of my loved ones

cons: they dont work and i may look like a prat to some know it all in tescos

yeah i think i'll leave mine on, i've got thick skin :cheesy:

another expert yesterday said masks can make it worse with the bacteria that grow. A guy turns up in a bar yesterday sweating profusely wearing a cheap mask, he takes it off and there is a wif in the air, probably the bacteria and sweat in the mask. Good luck with wearing it

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, GeorgeCross said:

as it looks like there is a split between the benefits of wearing a mask from the experts (for clarity i'm going N95 here) depending on which side of the planet you ask on, i'm going to go with the time honored plus or minus points to make my decision:

pros: they work and could save my life and those of my loved ones

cons: they dont work and i may look like a prat to some know it all in tescos

yeah i think i'll leave mine on, i've got thick skin :cheesy:

If by experts on one side of the planet you mean virtually every accredited expert and on the other side of the planet you mean ai Anutin, builder and self confessed dickwad, fine, up to you if you want to go with the dickwad. Don't forget to dispose of it and use a new one after every use though or it may do you more harm than good.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

another expert yesterday said masks can make it worse with the bacteria that grow. A guy turns up in a bar yesterday sweating profusely wearing a cheap mask, he takes it off and there is a wif in the air, probably the bacteria and sweat in the mask. Good luck with wearing it

well you can't fix stupid i guess - in a bar during a pandemic with a dirty mask on

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

If by experts on one side of the planet you mean virtually every accredited expert and on the other side of the planet you mean ai Anutin, builder and self confessed dickwad, fine, up to you if you want to go with the dickwad. Don't forget to dispose of it and use a new one after every use though or it may do you more harm than good.

nah i was listening to experts from china and korea, you know the only 2 countries to beat the virus back

dont take diet advice from fat basttards dude

and on that note i'll wrap this up from me, wear one, not wear one, no worries, up to you

Edited by GeorgeCross
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Why do those same experts also advise that if you haven't got symptoms you don't need a mask?

Oh dear oh dear, let me explain to you , the symptoms are coughing and sneezing, if you're not coughing and sneezing the mask won't stop you spreading it because it won't catch the droplets that you're not coughing and sneezing out of your mouth and nose. Please ask for further explanation if needed.

Oh dear oh dear... you're focusing only on not spreading it. Most people wear masks to prevent them from getting it. Lots of people sneeze, cough and clear their throats even when apparently healthy. Have you heard of hayfever (I get that)? Have you heard of smoker's cough? Healthy people often clear their throats.

If you're confident to walk around in a busy air conditioned room with lots of other people not wearing masks, then that's your decision. People who wear masks are not stupid or ill informed. You are. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

all this thread does is add to the stupidity that already exists 

If there is a risk of going to IO then find a workaround were people don't need to attend

the mask argument is pretty well done and dusted

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I agree but I was wondering if not wearing one (based on the current xenophobic attacks on westerners related to low rates of mask wearing) would be looked upon in a hostile way by the officers there. 

If you got one wear it....90 days takes three minutes at Jomtien....and for your own good also with all those dirty disease spreading foreigners there.

• Haha 1

Many Thai Visa people complain that Thai People do not like and respect them.  Well, respect is a two way street.  When you breathe, you create a cloud in front of your face and it travels several feet.  So, Thai People are saying “You F’ing A-hole … stop breathing on me!”  YOU do not know what diseases you carry at any moment.  Foreigners who “proudly” ride BTS without a mask, or go to close contact areas like immigration, seem to flaunt the idea “Masks don’t stop viruses.” That is NOT THE POINT.  Masks reduce your “effective breathing area” and say to all “I have done what I can to not breath on you.  The real irony here is, Foreigners can elect to not be polite and wear masks … BECAUSE EVERYONE ELSE IS!!! The fact is, if a person just wrapped any piece of cloth around their mouth and nose, and controlled their “breathing cloud” … that would be respectful, and cut down on transmission of colds, flus, and corona virus.  If I am in a confined area, and you breathe on me, trust me, you are going to hear about it.

So I went in today. No mask. It was crowded. As reported about half of the client / suspects were wearing masks. Chinese all masked. There were too many people coughing in and out of masks. The queue giving guy threw my passport at me but I really don't think that was masked related. Once with number out in minutes. Didn't even sit down. 

• Like 1

The “expert” in the video says that you can get it by breathing on someone. But not a single other person or organization has said the same. It is not aerosolized and therefore you can only get it by getting it in your body through typically your nose, mouth and eyes after it is been on your hands (someone coughed or sneezed onto a surface that you then touch) and you touch your own hideous face. Hence the reason they keep telling us to wash our hands. Unless these masks are also covering your eyes to stop you touching them - the masks will do nothing. And telling people to stop touching their faces is pointless - we do it without even thinking about it.

Edited by ncc1701d
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

The queue giving guy threw my passport at me but I really don't think that was masked related.

I don't think he likes most poeple been there since soi 8...I got a smile from him once probably laughing at my poor attempt to sapeak Thai.

• Haha 1

On 3/14/2020 at 10:02 AM, scubascuba3 said:

It's stupid to wear a mask unless you have symptoms, that's why there is a shortage, don't join the stupid club

I agree with this comment but I can’t help but be suspicious that is could be the governments dictating this statement to ensure the necessary  quantity of masks is safeguarded for medical people. As we know, there are many panic buyers and hoarders out there.

If someone coughed or sneezed in my face, I would feel much safer wearing a mask???

8 minutes ago, johng said:

I don't think he likes most poeple been there since soi 8...I got a smile from him once probably laughing at my poor attempt to sapeak Thai.

I would learn to spell English first....????

• Sad 1

On 3/14/2020 at 3:02 AM, scubascuba3 said:

It's stupid to wear a mask unless you have symptoms, that's why there is a shortage, don't join the stupid club

I simply do not agree. If someone sneezes in your vicinity, you'll be glad that you are wearing one.

Seondly, if you ever look at medical staff or anyone working in quarantine, they have Hazmat suits and masks on.

If it were the case that only people with symptoms should wear a mask, then why are they bothering to wear them?

It's just one of a range of measures, but it doesn't mean that you should omit them entirely. 

Soap and water, alcohol and bleach based disinfectants...and masks. Practical measures.

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

I simply do not agree. If someone sneezes in your vicinity, you'll be glad that you are wearing one.

Seondly, if you ever look at medical staff or anyone working in quarantine, they have Hazmat suits and masks on.

If it were the case that only people with symptoms should wear a mask, then why are they bothering to wear them?

It's just one of a range of measures, but it doesn't mean that you should omit them entirely. 

Soap and water, alcohol and bleach based disinfectants...and masks. Practical measures.

do you think panic buying is also a good thing? it's sad that there is a shortage of masks for people who have symptoms, even a shortage for those in the medical profession. You are jointly responsible

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

do you think panic buying is also a good thing? it's sad that there is a shortage of masks for people who have symptoms, even a shortage for those in the medical profession. You are jointly responsible

No, I don't think that panic buying is a good thing...

Stop writing utter rubbish. Jointly responsible....idiotic. Equating the using of N95 face masks with panic buying. Only in your mind....

51 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Not the reason. 

Ask Boy, he had two hundred million face mask in his place. To sell. 

Edited by Yinn

2 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Hmmmm.

What the phone number again? 

The BMW coming to take JT to jail!!!

Run, JT, run! 

People not know when they sick. 

Thai people wear the mask, so if they sick, they not will make other people sick. =think/care each other.

Some farang here say “The mask not protection for me. No need” = selfish, think about themself only.

You maybe will give it to many people. Think about other people you give corona. Maybe they die. Because YOU not wear mask. Thai people wear mask a lot.

Italy, Iran, UK, USA not do.

Look what happen now. 

Wearing a face mask is certainly not an iron-clad guarantee that you won’t get sick – viruses can also transmit through the eyes and tiny viral particles, known as aerosols, can penetrate masks. However, masks are effective at capturing droplets, which is a main transmission route of coronavirus, and some studies have estimated a roughly fivefold protection versus no barrier alone (although others have found lower levels of effectiveness).

If you are likely to be in close contact with someone infected, a mask cuts the chance of the disease being passed on. If you’re showing symptoms of coronavirus, or have been diagnosed, wearing a mask can also protect others. So masks are crucial for health and social care workers looking after patients and are also recommended for family members who need to care for someone who is ill – ideally both the patient and carer should have a mask

O.K.  so please tell us " farangs not wearing masks " ….where were we can get them buying  ???

1 minute ago, david555 said:

O.K.  so please tell us " farangs not wearing masks " ….where were we can get them buying  ???

Call Boy.

He work for Thammanat.

7 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Call Boy.

He work for Thammanat.

I knew you could not name 1 shop / address really ….., typical... blaming but no solution if wishing to comply with the complaint of farangs not wearing masks , wherever asking …. no supply anymore ,even in U.K.

Governments struggling with the no masks in supply enough and are asking to limit the wearing only if really needed because of the shortages , especially high needed to be in supply for the medical staff.

AS It was not a world etiquette dressing before corona 

Edited by david555

On 3/14/2020 at 10:04 AM, Jingthing said:

I agree but I was wondering if not wearing one (based on the current xenophobic attacks on westerners related to low rates of mask wearing) would be looked upon in a hostile way by the officers there. 

I was there just a few days ago,and there were not many masked officers and even less foreigners.