Mask wearing etiquette at Jomtien immigration

Jingthing

On 3/14/2020 at 10:54 AM, tropo said:

I think your comment was stupid. Asymptomatic people can spread it for days before they get sick. People who have symptoms have probably infected 100's of people already, both directly or indirectly. 

Further, transmission in the first 3-5 days of illness, or potentially pre-symptomatic transmission –transmission of the virus before the appearance of symptoms – is a major driver of transmission for influenza. In contrast, while we are learning that there are people who can shed COVID-19 virus 24-48 hours prior to symptom onset, at present, this does not appear to be a major driver of transmission.

https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/situation-reports/20200306-sitrep-46-covid-19.pdf?sfvrsn=96b04adf_2

On 3/18/2020 at 9:35 AM, bahtboy said:

I've now ordered 3 different lots of face masks from Lazada. The first 2 were cancelled before shipping from China. Lazada didn't inform me of that. The latest (from S. Korea) actually tracked on their website as having reached Lazada Express delivery facility in Thailand, but then no movement for over a week. Yesterday I looked again on their website and there was a general message in red to the effect that Lazada was not supplying face masks now. I believe they have been warned about price gouging from the Thai Government. 

So, where do I buy a face mask from in Pattaya? I've tried pharmacies everywhere including Fascino on N. Pattaya road. You're supposed to wear them but cannot buy them anywhere. 

You still need masks now?We can provide disposable masks and N95 masks from China.

1584007192l7dr8SuC.png

1584093161gFWEyDq4.png

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Yes. No matches there for masks now.

Except the one I linked to . N95 approved. 
But if it's the real deal is difficult to tell. 

19 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Link broken.

It worked yesterday, they removed it!

Only mask I can find now is this one, but it will not work against corona: 
https://www.lazada.co.th/products/navy-japan-pitta-mask-3-sheets-uv-cut-98-i400708574-s778802137.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.11.713b3b25CpoqiP&search=1

Maybe a bit of topic, but I was at Jomtein recently, inside sitting waiting there was a guy wearing a wife beater and his arms covered in tattoos, then as I was going out, there was another guy entering who was shirtless. IMO, pure ignorance and disrespectful behavior on both counts.

It seems the IOs there are not offended by this at all.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Maybe a bit of topic, but I was at Jomtein recently, inside sitting waiting there was a guy wearing a wife beater and his arms covered in tattoos, then as I was going out, there was another guy entering who was shirtless. IMO, pure ignorance and disrespectful behavior on both counts.

these days, as a falang;

it'd be safer for your protection from local xenophobe reactions

- by wearing your wife on your arm?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Very likely they are but need someone else to speak up. Of course the shirtless guy should be asked to leave. There is a sign at the tourist extension, re-entry desk area.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, possum1931 said:

It depends what they're there for.

Asking for a 1 year extension of stay based on retirement, it's best to dress according to the staff's wishes.

Reporting 20 weeks of overstay and paying a large fine, a wifebeater is perfectly acceptable garb, lol.

• Haha 2

Was at Jomtien Immigration this morning.

In all my years of going there, never seen it so busy.

Staff were stopping what they were doing to take a photo of amount of people in the car park.

I reckon that at least 75% of the people there this morning, had never done a visa extension of any sort before.

Amazingly, after turning up at 7.30am and being around 20th in the queue, I was out with extension done around 9am.

But that was only because I was all prepared.

For the first time ever, I also saw the dress code rules being applied.

A body building looking guy with a vest, shorts, and flip flops was given his passport and application back at the extension desk. He spoke no English and thought there was something wrong with his paperwork. I tried to explain to him as I was leaving that he needed to buy a shirt, but he did not believe me.

Oh .... masks were being worn by all staff, and about half of the applicants, but were not mandatory.

Edited by TaaSaparot
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

Amazingly, after turning up at 7.30am and being around 20th in the queue, I was out with extension done around 9am.

I expect this was a 12 month retirement extension?

The rest of the people in there were after the new 30 day extension (likely to TVs or Exempts)?

On 3/21/2020 at 3:03 PM, Guderian said:

It depends what they're there for.

Asking for a 1 year extension of stay based on retirement, it's best to dress according to the staff's wishes.

Reporting 20 weeks of overstay and paying a large fine, a wifebeater is perfectly acceptable garb, lol.

It doesn't matter why you visit an immigration office shirtless. That's a big no no if you have half a brain. It's not accepted anywhere in Thailand except on the beach and by the swimming pool. 

1 hour ago, Max69xl said:

It doesn't matter why you visit an immigration office shirtless. That's a big no no if you have half a brain. It's not accepted anywhere in Thailand except on the beach and by the swimming pool. 

Before you have an aneurysm, perhaps you should check out the "lol" in my comment?

Get a sense of humour, for Buddha's sake!

On 3/14/2020 at 10:02 AM, scubascuba3 said:

It's stupid to wear a mask unless you have symptoms, that's why there is a shortage, don't join the stupid club

That's how the virus is spreading fast in America and Europe because people there don't wear mask.

Most masks is to prevent the wearer from infecting others, most people are not aware they are infected until the late stages.

You might be having a mild fever during the first few days but you are still able to infect others.

10 minutes ago, EricTh said:

That's how the virus is spreading fast in America and Europe because people there don't wear mask.

Most masks is to prevent the wearer from infecting others, most people are not aware they are infected until the late stages.

You might be having a mild fever during the first few days but you are still able to infect others.

Nope that's not the reason, it's difficult to find any masks so when someone gets the virus or mild symptoms they can't find quality masks because people are wearing them who shouldn't be

5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Nope that's not the reason, it's difficult to find any masks so when someone gets the virus or mild symptoms they can't find quality masks because people are wearing them who shouldn't be

Why do you keep banging on with this ridiculous story?  Do you think repeating it often enough makes it true?

Everyone should wear a mask. Even when you speak to someone, projectiles are emitted.

If someone approaches to speak to me without wearing a mask, I will simply move away.

You repeating the same mantra over and over again, only encourages the idiocy of the foreigners who think they know better because they read it somewhere that masks are not enough to prevent transmission.

They need to get it through their thick skulls that it is not only for their protection, but for others.

So time to stop selfishly thinking of themselves.

If you want to point the finger at someone, point it at the hoarders, not responsible people protecting themselves and others from another possible source of transmission.

You need to be able to understand and interpret what you read and not just repeat it parrot fashion.

How many times have you posted the same misinformation now?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

Why do you keep banging on with this ridiculous story?  Do you think repeating it often enough makes it true?

Everyone should wear a mask. Even when you speak to someone, projectiles are emitted.

If someone approaches to speak to me without wearing a mask, I will simply move away.

You repeating the same mantra over and over again, only encourages the idiocy of the foreigners who think they know better because they read it somewhere that masks are not enough to prevent transmission.

They need to get it through their thick skulls that it is not only for their protection, but for others.

So time to stop selfishly thinking of themselves.

If you want to point the finger at someone, point it at the hoarders, not responsible people protecting themselves and others from another possible source of transmission.

You need to be able to understand and interpret what you read and not just repeat it parrot fashion.

How many times have you posted the same misinformation now?

So, if you have a gf, you won't talk to her if she's not wearing a mask? You must be a nice partner. 

15 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

when you speak to someone, projectiles are emitted.

Maybe when you talk you spray, try not to, no one likes that, also if you are a close talker, back away.

The rest of your spray I don't agree with also

Edited by scubascuba3

On 3/14/2020 at 11:59 AM, tropo said:

There are naive people about that will believe anything they read, without question...

Do you really think the experts are telling the truth here? The experts are trying to prevent panic. Claiming that only sick people should wear masks suggests they are effective, because if they weren't, why suggest that sick people should wear them. That's quite illogical, but people like you swallow it hook, line and sinker.

Then you didn't consider that you might want to wear a mask to prevent you getting the virus from another person. Wake up sunshine - asymptomatic people are spreading it too.

Then of course there's the question of the quality of the masks. They are not equal.

The people who have the virus can stop spreading the virus when coughing if wearing the mask....or slow it down somewhat.

3 hours ago, Mansell said:

The people who have the virus can stop spreading the virus when coughing if wearing the mask....or slow it down somewhat.

So using your logic, a mask can prevent an infected person from spreading the virus, but it doesn't protect a person from being infected?