Mask wearing etiquette at Jomtien immigration

Jingthing

From CDC:

If you are NOT sick: You do not need to wear a facemask unless you are caring for someone who is sick (and they are not able to wear a facemask). Facemasks may be in short supply and they should be saved for caregivers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, jimmysjo said:

From CDC:

If you are NOT sick: You do not need to wear a facemask unless you are caring for someone who is sick (and they are not able to wear a facemask). Facemasks may be in short supply and they should be saved for caregivers.

You just answered the questions.

we don’t need them because care givers do, which means they are effective.

Also, they say you should wear a face mask when caring for someone who is sick (and they are not able to wear one). In other words, It doesn’t matter who wears a mask, so long as someone is wearing one. Ergo, wear a mask.

• Sad 2

On 3/14/2020 at 5:38 AM, Jingthing said:

That would be great but they really really should forget 90 day reports for now and also TM30 if they haven't already which I don't really keep track of as I've NEVER done one (or a TM28 either ha ha).

I don't think you need a TM30 report as the baht bus doesn't travel far enough to 

make it necessary.

On 3/14/2020 at 10:02 AM, scubascuba3 said:

It's stupid to wear a mask unless you have symptoms, that's why there is a shortage, don't join the stupid club

In Vietnam you are looked down upon if not wearing , saying  it’s rude of Farang not to wear

10 minutes ago, Ireland32 said:

In Vietnam you are looked down upon if not wearing , saying  it’s rude of Farang not to wear

As stupid as Thais.

But, everyone know that Corona in Thailand is our fault. ???? Dirty farangs.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2020 at 10:15 AM, Jingthing said:

Yeah but there are social factors as well. If you're in a location where it is expected and required, you just do it because there are bad consequences to not doing it that have nothing to do with health. 

I see where you are coming from. Nobody wants to upset tetchy officials however stupid they are. A quiet life is preferable. 

4 hours ago, david555 said:

I knew you could not name 1 shop / address really ….., typical... blaming but no solution if wishing to comply with the complaint of farangs not wearing masks , wherever asking …. no supply anymore ,even in U.K.

You not understand sarcasm about Boy/Thammanat. Ok.

You complain a lot.

Here..

https://anoton.com/index/detail.html?sno=NTM2NTc4MDI2&coll_id=999946703&from=google&opt_id=677&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIiayBp6qf6AIV1Q1oCh13mQ_2EAEYASAAEgLn6_D_BwE

6 hours ago, Yinn said:

You complain a lot

Same you ...????

Edited by david555

WHO on wearing facemasks:

1.  If you are healthy, you only need to wear a mask if you are taking care of a person with suspected 2019-nCoV infection.

2.  Wear a mask if you are coughing or sneezing.

3.  Masks are effective only when used in combination with frequent hand-cleaning with alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water.

4.  If you wear a mask, then you must know how to use it and dispose of it properly.

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public/when-and-how-to-use-masks

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, rwill said:

WHO on wearing facemasks:

1.  If you are healthy, you only need to wear a mask if you are taking care of a person with suspected 2019-nCoV infection.

2.  Wear a mask if you are coughing or sneezing.

3.  Masks are effective only when used in combination with frequent hand-cleaning with alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water.

4.  If you wear a mask, then you must know how to use it and dispose of it properly.

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public/when-and-how-to-use-masks

N95 facemasks that have a bendable nose bridge create a better seal than the useless surgical masks referenced in these comments.

Places like Singapore &Taiwan kept the infection #'s much more in check by having basically everyone wearing one.

They help along with hand washing - this is a hard fact.

Edited by JimmyTheMook
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, JimmyTheMook said:

N95 facemasks that have a bendable nose bridge create a better seal than the useless surgical masks referenced in these comments.

Places like Singapore &Taiwan kept the infection #'s much more in check by having basically everyone wearing one.

They help along with hand washing - this is a hard fact.

Yes agreed...but where to obtain these masks. Have never seen them on sale anywhere. So most people are stuck with the surgical masks.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, couchpotato said:

Yes agreed...but where to obtain these masks. Have never seen them on sale anywhere. So most people are stuck with the surgical masks.

They were available at pharmacies, ie Fascino, also HomePro, Lazada and many places. Not sure wrt current availability. 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

On 3/14/2020 at 10:04 AM, Jingthing said:

I agree but I was wondering if not wearing one (based on the current xenophobic attacks on westerners related to low rates of mask wearing) would be looked upon in a hostile way by the officers there. 

wearing a mask won't disguise the fact that you are a westerner.  I'll end my opinion there.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, david555 said:

You complain a lot

Same you ...????

Yinn is apparently the only Thai poster here ( A pity ).

As everyone here she has an opinion, which is interesting to read, as every opinion is.

She is however in no way representative of all Thais, as any poster here is not representative for all the people of his/her nationality.

We should put Yinn's posts in perspective.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, luckyluke said:

Yinn is apparently the only Thai poster here ( A pity ).

As everyone here she has an opinion, which is interesting to read, as every opinion is.

She is however in no way representative of all Thais, as any poster here is not representative for all the people of his/her nationality.

We should put Yinn's posts in perspective.

My reply to her "same as you " was meant as, because complaining Farang don't wear masks.....,   I would easily please them to wear (helping or not , need them or not besides the question) , but then they must be available  , that was my first answer , but it seems as a Thai don't have an answer we are " complaining …." not complaining  but just asking how to comply on their remark ...

I wonder if A Thai would dare it to remark another Thai not wearing mask …? maybe not maybe yes ….as they know their fuses are short about "face loosing" so a bit more hesitating to remark them 55555

Probably they even don't know about the world shortage of masks , and the bid to et them in enough supply for the medics …. they need  them more urgent 

And putting someone in " perspective " can be double expressed (?) …. it can go in different ways ….. that is not my nature to be undecided or so called fake  diplomatic 

PS: believe me as I should take a flight now I would wear one even when no symptoms , just a precaution in case I would sudden sneeze unexpected …..and if Yin would send me a dozen I would pay happily …., even when there was a profit taken on it …...

2020-03-17_133552.png

Edited by david555

1 minute ago, at15 said:

have some respect, just remember the folks who are 80+, 1 out of 5 of them will die that contract this virus. 

Thanks for that. I thought it was because of something I'd said.????

1 hour ago, david555 said:

And putting someone in " perspective "

I wrote putting her posts in perspective, meaning putting them in their proper context.

Considering them as interesting of course, but nothing really extraordinary, as her posts are only her opinions, which of course she is entitled to have, but are just similar to the many posts post here daily, by different posters.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

I wrote putting her posts in perspective, meaning putting them in their proper context.

Considering them as interesting of course, but nothing really extraordinary, as her posts are only her opinions, which of course she is entitled to have, but are just similar to the many posts post here daily, by different posters.

gosh , I am jealous  to people who can say in so many words , wording , context ...that after ,some ask what did he or she meant …..but  stay neutral friend to all party's.....I  can't with my very simple mind  ????

Ahghh we are all different minded people , life would be dull if all the same

Edited by david555

22 hours ago, WalkingOrders said:

I don't know about Jomtien, but at Cheng Wattana Bangkok, nearly everyone has one on, Thai and foreigner, and testing for temp done at entry, a sticker given, and hand jel provided. This was 2 weeks ago.

That's CW. 

22 hours ago, Ireland32 said:

There are no farang in Vietnam as far as I know. And only people like Anutin thinks it's rude not to wear a mask. There are actually not that many people wearing a mask in Jomtien and that includes Thai people.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bahtboy said:

I've now ordered 3 different lots of face masks from Lazada. The first 2 were cancelled before shipping from China. Lazada didn't inform me of that. The latest (from S. Korea) actually tracked on their website as having reached Lazada Express delivery facility in Thailand, but then no movement for over a week. Yesterday I looked again on their website and there was a general message in red to the effect that Lazada was not supplying face masks now. I believe they have been warned about price gouging from the Thai Government. 

So, where do I buy a face mask from in Pattaya? I've tried pharmacies everywhere including Fascino on N. Pattaya road. You're supposed to wear them but cannot buy them anywhere. 

Yin knows probably as she complain we don't wear them ….55555

People seem to be over thinking and justifying not wearing masks in public.  This is not an argument about particle size, infection rates, and transmission pathways.  This is a conversation about common sense and respect for others.

Each of us has an “exhale radius” and when people are in close proximity, these “breath zones” overlap and “sharing” occurs.

If you are going to ride mass transit, shop in crowded areas, work in confined spaces with others, and hundreds of other obvious “too close for comfort” zones … be the person who sets a positive example and a clear message “I respect you and am doing what I can to limit your exposure to my “exhale radius.”

Pretty basic example of trying to be a person who understands that you are either part of the solution, or part of the problem.

Mask-001.png