Visa run to Suvannakhet consulate Experience

When I did my Non O visa there couple months ago, there was the guy and girl both working the window. either one never mentioned bring the wife and the change her surname paper. The only people I saw getting refused were the ones applying for tourist visas as haven't herd any reports yet of them refusing you if you don't have your wife physically there or the change her surname paper. Until then I think we are still pretty safe doing our yearly visas's there.

My wife and I were married in 1972.  On Thursday we visited the Amphoe in Udon Thani regarding name change certificates.  The lady we spoke to said we would not have the certificate because we were married under the old law.  She sent us to talk to the Lady in charge who told us the same thing.  She also told us a certificate cannot be issued for a marriage prior to the law change.  She explained this was because a new marriage certificate needed to be added to create a name change certificate.  We jokingly told her the only solution would be to get a divorce and remarry.  She laughed, looked at me and said "that would cost you a lot of money".

20 hours ago, zhounan said:

What about the cross border? Some test? I'm Italian an I'm worry about the paranoia of civil servants.

After we left Laos and were at Thailand passport control, one Italian guy was turned away, as he did not have a health certificate.

22 hours ago, Jimmy B said:

He maybe asked for your wife because you didn't have a name change certificate. I was married back in 2003 and didn't get one. Got something from Amphur last week showing name change. Going next week.

Interested to see how you get on. please post your experience when you return thanks.