The week that was in Thailand news: Waiting, waiting on virus news.....many countries including Thailand are holding their breath!

rooster59

Rooster, I am sure that I read your column a couple of weeks ago where you stated that people were over reacting about this virus and it was only a flu blah blah blah. Still think that??? If I am correct about this then perhaps you should keep your opinion to yourself on matters like the virus and just deal with facts. If I was hallucinating and incorrect, then I stand corrected and apologize in advance.

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Yup, unfortunately like it or not this is real and happening, the domino effect of cancellation of events with large numbers of people attending has started, imposing voluntary quarantine ( with fines for those who don’t ) has started also.

Flying bans have been initiated and others will follow suit .

Prepare yourselves for a tough few months, but remain calm and focus on how to keep yourself, and your loved ones, safe.

I wish each and every one good luck .

https://www.calcalistech.com/ctech/articles/0,7340,L-3800632,00.html

This article is very interesting. On the Princess Diamond, less than 20 % got infected. In China and South Korea also.

So from where comes the potential 60 % infection in UK?

During the flu season not everybody get infected. Not 60 %. The numbers of China and south Korea infections are facts...not predictions.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gervais Bilodeau said:

So from where comes the potential 60 % infection in UK?

The statisticians are inferring that because many people have Covid-19 but are asymptomatic, the likely range of those infected is anywhere from 30% to 70%.  Take your pick, depending how much of a Chicken Little you are

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus

Rooster and those replying: Good points re our humanity and how we will adapt and weather the storm.  My wife and I are over 70 and diabetic.  On-line info says if sick then medicate at home for 7 days.  If symptoms worsen then go to the hospital.  My son Jeremy and his family live in Milan- Italy.  He manages the F-35 assembly program for Europe.  The U.S. ambassador is leaning towards an Orderly Departure Program for most Americans.  That makes no sense as the U.S. infections are rising.  The lack of reported infections and only one death in Thailand is a mystery.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Mick501 said:

Pop quiz, Rooster:.  You're down to your last 5 tiles in scrabble.  Scores are tied, and your opponent also has 5 tiles.   Your letters are C,O,V,I,D.  What's your move?

I will look for a free 'E' or 'R' on the board and play either VOICED or CORVID, that is a member of the crow family as appropriately enough I will be crowing my victory.

Rooster

• Like 2

I'm holding my breath because of the filthy air pollution , covid 19 is just another distraction from Thailands ongoing problems ...''never let a good virus go to waste''...

Edited by mok199
  • Like 2

I normally read your weekly post and have a little chuckle. However this week you are so wide of the mark. Your comments about the British governments handling of the situation are uncalled for. I do not know your nationality, I assume you must be a Brit, but if you are not I suggest you do not keep fueling the fire like everyone else seems to be doing on TV and on social media. It is a way over the top reaction about a virus where most people display only moderate symptoms. I wish goverments would publish more accurate figures showing also the number of people who have recovered. The way it is presented, it only shows the number of people infected. To the uneducated it appears like the whole world will become a leper colony.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

An article "cherry-picking" some of the wild speculation that is "out there" in a vain effort to aver that the author has researched his article thoroughly.  It is an incredibly one-sided viewpoint. There are two sides to a coin; a balanced approach would add to the author's credibility, but, in fact, the "material" contained therein detracts from such.

Do not simply take it with a pinch of salt; a salt-mine is more apposite.

23 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

On the surface it seems stupid that you can’t spell the name of Bangkok airport as it should be. Suvarnabhumi. Can you elaborate on this?? 

I was a teacher of Thai language for 20 years and in so doing I was always determined to use transliteration that reflected the actual sound of the word. In many of my approximately 60 translations this week I have used the official spelling you suggest. On Sunday, in my column, I spell it properly.

Thanks for reading.

Rooster

• Like 1

alex, the official translation of Suvarnabhumi into English is generally accepted as being very bad, as however you try and pronounce that word comes out sounding nothing like the Thai pronunciation of it. So many people who know this try and write it more phonetically...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, mok199 said:

I'm holding my breath because of the filthy air pollution , covid 19 is just another distraction from Thailands ongoing problems ...''never let a good virus go to waste''...

It was remiss of me not to mention this appalling situation this week especially for the long suffering residents of Chiang Mai. Though perhaps I did them a favor not reminding them of it!

Cheers and thanks for reading.

Rooster

13 minutes ago, zyphodb said:

alex, the official translation of Suvarnabhumi into English is generally accepted as being very bad, as however you try and pronounce that word comes out sounding nothing like the Thai pronunciation of it. So many people who know this try and write it more phonetically...

Just the V has a more W sound and it’s the name of the airport anyways. A lot of airports in the world are often the name of a local famous person and many people not from that country can’t really pronounce it properly but still spell it correctly. I never have a problem when getting a taxi there and pronounce it almost the same as real spelling just a little more W sound in the V and a very light I at the end. So I guess myself ( and many others) may disagree with you. I mean let’s face it, Do a lot of non French simply spell it  “CHarles do Gaul”???

Edited by alex8912