Re-entry permit - multple or single ?

Hello,

For my 1st extension of stay (1 year), I took a mutliple entries re-entry permit, but in fact I used it once only.

I just got my 2nd 1 year extension of stay and I am wondering if after taking this time a single entry re-entry permit, I would have the possibility, if need be later, to take a new re-entry permit for the same extension (single or multiple).

Thanks

A single entry is worth it if you go out of the country 3 or less times per year.

It costs around 3000 baht for all 3 times.

If you go out of Thailand 4 or more times per year, then it is better to get multiple reentry.

Or if  you don't want the hassle to apply for single reentry again, then just pay for multiple once. Save you some headache later.

Edited by EricTh

24 minutes ago, aixois said:

I just got my 2nd 1 year extension of stay and I am wondering if after taking this time a single entry re-entry permit, I would have the possibility, if need be later, to take a new re-entry permit for the same extension (single or multiple).

Yes. You can have as many re-entry permits as you need. But you can only have one valid re-entry permit in your passport at any time.

11 hours ago, aixois said:

Of course.... 

11 hours ago, EricTh said:

A single entry is worth it if you go out of the country 3 or less times per year.

It costs around 3000 baht for all 3 times.

If you go out of Thailand 4 or more times per year, then it is better to get multiple reentry.

Or if  you don't want the hassle to apply for single reentry again, then just pay for multiple once. Save you some headache later.

agree, but it's no  hassle getting re-entry permits at airports when departing, takes me 10 - 20 minutes, certainly quicker than at CW.

1 hour ago, samsensam said:

agree, but it's no  hassle getting re-entry permits at airports when departing, takes me 10 - 20 minutes, certainly quicker than at CW.

True but if you are in a rush, you might forget to apply and then invalidate your visa.

9 minutes ago, EricTh said:

True but if you are in a rush, you might forget to apply and then invalidate your visa.

How would not having a re-entry permit invalidate a visa?  Re-entry permits are only issued for a permit to stay not a visa.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

How would not having a re-entry permit invalidate a visa?  Re-entry permits are only issued for a permit to stay not a visa.

If you exit Thailand without a reentry permit, your visa/permit to stay/extension (whatever you call it) is invalidated.

4 hours ago, EricTh said:

If you exit Thailand without a reentry permit, your visa/permit to stay/extension (whatever you call it) is invalidated.

It is important to differentiate between a visa and a permit to stay. People might think that a re-entry permit would keep their visa that was expired or expiring valid.

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

It is important to differentiate between a visa and a permit to stay. People might think that a re-entry permit would keep their visa that was expired expiring valid.

Not in every case it isn’t. It was obvious what the member meant. If they left without a re-entry permit their ability to re-enter and get the permit to stay issued from the entry visa would be lost; thereby they’ve lost their visa!

The entry visa remains relevant until the day the holder permanently ends their stay.

• Sad 2

9 hours ago, EricTh said:

velly true a mate of mine when home, came back, visa was null and void. Had to apply for new visa !!

12 hours ago, essox essox said:

velly true a mate of mine when home, came back, visa was null and void. Had to apply for new visa !!

Not understanding how the Visa/Extension/Permit etc works will do that. There is a line in English as part of the Extension stamp clearly stating 'To keep your stay permit re-entry permit must be made before leaving Thailand' It might be nice if the immigration guy who stamps people out also gave a warning, although I suspect quite a few get a giggle out of such mistakes.