Lost Passport

I am an American currently in the USA. I live in BKK. I was due to fly back to BKK on March 14 and then discovered that I lost my US passport! In it, of course, were my extension of stay and re entry permit. Does anyone know what I need to do when I finally land in BKK with a new passport? Do I have to enter as a tourist or is there some way for them to check my status at the airport? Thanks. 

You will have to enter as a tourist. Immigration at an airport will not be able to do anything.

Unless you local immigration cooperates and reinstates you extension you may have to start all over again.

For all intents and purposes your extension was lost with your passport.

• Like 1

OP, read couple of these before. 

I have never read a success story of not having to start the process again. 

Just in case your not aware you can obtain your visa exempt on arrival then at some point obtain a non o at immigration. 

If you decide to reinstate your stamps at imm please provide us with update. 

Anyone can misplace a passport. You would imagine that they would have records and could not make you start over. However thinking you will need start over. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, BeltAndRoad said:

You could try a Thai embassy in the USA, though i'm guessing a reset is inevitable.

Waste of time. Thai Embassies are run by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and issue visas. Extension and re-entry permits are issued by the Royal Thai Police Immigration Division. Two completely different animals.

@ubonjoe has it right.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Waste of time. Thai Embassies are run by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and issue visas. Extension and re-entry permits are issued by the Royal Thai Police Immigration Division. Two completely different animals.

@ubonjoe has it right.

If I were the OP, I'd try a Consulate and give them a call. The reason for it is that you're dealing with people from your own country.

I've got no idea to what extent they can check the websites to find out about the already issued visa. But still worth a try. 

Ubon Joe is the man on this topic. 

3 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

If I were the OP, I'd try a Consulate and give them a call. The reason for it is that you're dealing with people from your own country.

I've got no idea to what extent they can check the websites to find out about the already issued visa. But still worth a try. 

Ubon Joe is the man on this topic. 

Read post #5. That is correct info.

Edited by DrJack54

3 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

Based on that argument, you could talk to the staff in Walmart. Thai consulates neither have access to Immigration's system, nor do they have the power under any circumstances to reinstate Immigration issued extensions of your permission to stay.

The only possible reason for contacting a Thai consulate would be to apply for a visa. There could be advantages to a multiple entry (even a single entry) tourist visa over returning to Thailand visa exempt.

7 hours ago, BritTim said:

The only possible reason for contacting a Thai consulate would be to apply for a visa. There could be advantages to a multiple entry (even a single entry) tourist visa over returning to Thailand visa exempt.

I would say a single non-o visa would be best but since he is in the USA he cannot get one there if it is for retirement.

A single entry tourist visa would be easier since the 9 honorary consulates can issue them as well as the embassy and the 3 official consulates. Only the embassy and the official consulates can issue a METV.