Thai Consulates Since Covid-19

Hi all, I was wondering if people could share recent experiences in SE Asia Thai consulates to obtains SETVs or other visas. I was planning to go back to Hanoi (where I got my last SETV) in a couple of weeks but I’ve just read that UK citizens are now on the travel restriction list for Vietnam.  I read 3 reports, all saying people flying from UK will not be allowed in, and I’ll be flying from Bangkok and haven’t been to any afflicted countries in years, but I’m not sure I want to chance it all the same. They might just see a UK passport and refuse, regardless of where you fly in from. Anyway, I was now thinking of going to Vientiane, but in past (years ago) when I got visas there it was always rammed full of people and total nightmare, but I’m wondering also if the virus panic means there are less people traveling and hence less queuing and hassle etc. Anyone got any recent experiences?

13 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Vientiane is not as crowded as before since they started requiring appointments a year ago. See: https://thaivisavientiane.com/#

The first available appointment is for the 26th.

It might get busier at nearby embassies and consulates due to corvid 19 since many people might be changing their travel plans due to it.

Many thanks as always J! 

I haven't seen any differences in procedure so far, but expect to possibly have your temperature checked when entering any Thai consulate abroad. Savannakhet is a possibility (Laos has not announced any travel restrictions for Chinese, Koreans or Europeans yet) or you could try the embassy in Yangon. Phnom Penh I'm not sure since Cambodia announced restrictions on 5 European nationalities. Singapore, forget it - you'd be restricted. Malaysia, not sure.

Check out the IATA website first for details on travel restrictions, then choose your preferred consulate. My choice remains Laos (Savannakhet if you don't want to make an appointment) followed by Yangon. This has mainly to do with the fact that Laos and Myanmar are still letting foreign travelers in.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

No e visas is what I have read about. Apparently still possible to apply for a visa at a Vietnamese embassy or consulate.

Yeah, I was thinking of trying the consulate here in Bangkok, I just worry that I might get a nasty immo offocila in Hanoi who may just decide to make my life <deleted> cuz I have a UK passport. I"ve been to Hanoi twice in my life and both times the immo officers were really not so nice. Rude actually. 

5 hours ago, stephen tracy said:

Yeah, I was thinking of trying the consulate here in Bangkok, I just worry that I might get a nasty immo offocila in Hanoi who may just decide to make my life <deleted> cuz I have a UK passport. I"ve been to Hanoi twice in my life and both times the immo officers were really not so nice. Rude actually. 

My experience with the Thai embassy in Hanoi has been positive. They have firm rules, but will try to be supportive within the limits of what the rules allow. It is likely you would get your visa. However, getting into Vietnam is no longer easy for UK nationals.