Pattaya: Makro full of shoppers as Thais and foreigners stock up on food items

webfact

2 hours ago, Wullie Mercer said:

What  rubbish was at Makro yesterday, very quiet did not have to wait for check out!!!!

I think it's starting to sink in. Makro this morning at 6.15 am, usually very few people, queues at the checkouts already...time to hunker down and fill the freezer and cupboards...many countries now on lockdown

On 3/16/2020 at 9:57 AM, Peterw42 said:

I went normal (not panic buying) grocery shopping yesterday, Macro, tops and big C, happy to report that the shelves are full and there is no sign of large crowds or panic buying etc. If anything the number of people out and about doing shopping is probably less than usual.

The photo of Macro above is how Macro always looks, its a bulk food warehouse where people buy in bulk, if anything there are less queues than usual.

A seriously irresponsible report that will only serve to create a panic buying situation where none exists at the moment.

100% spot on, maybe the reporter had never been to macro before and does not understand most small shops, shop at Macro

On 3/16/2020 at 10:19 AM, glennb6 said:

the open trays of meats with customers poking through and coughing on has been for long time. dubious hygiene at best. fortunately I haven't died from it yet, just cook wash and cook well and get on with life.

Dear Glennb6,

Please, please don't wash your chicken, turkey, etc. Washing will only serve to spread whatever contaminants are on the meat to the surrounding counter surfaces. Cook your desired meat to the recommended temperature and enjoy. This is in regards to meat, not veggies. Try this search string: Don't wash chicken

RM

• Haha 2

I was a frequent shopper at Makro over the last year until January when I was living in Phitsanulok, which has two Makro stores. And as a regular at Costco in Canberra, I can report that both stores have many wholesale customers who have small shops and so naturally buy large quantities.

The queue shown at Makro was definitely below normal but the true facts don't support the fake news story

Similarly in Australia Costco featured in a story about 10 days ago prior to the insane run on toilet paper in Australia. I would suggest this story contributed to the situation here where you have to be very lucky to be shopping when the truck arrives (as I was last week) to be able to buy any toilet paper or tissues or even kitchen paper!

My point is some journalists will do anything to sell their story and <deleted> the consequences for the elderly and disabled who now cannot buy toilet paper and other such essentials. This is why I watch ABC News 24 in Oz. The facts are sound and the stories well researched. Nothing remotely comparable in Thailand!

Edited by chricha
  • Like 1

On 3/16/2020 at 10:08 AM, vogie said:

As much as I like Makro, buying fresh meat from there has turned into a no no, when they have the fresh meat for anyone to touch with their bare hands it is somewhat off putting, I know they supply plastic gloves but not everyone uses them. So due to the present climate it is all frozen meat from now on.

But will pop down down later and get a little more provisions than I normally would, the less times you go out is better for all concerned.

just the view and smell of these dead animals makes me throw out.

this is where is bought all the meat eaten by the "connoisseurs" and food/restaurants review experts who think that they are eating caviar at expensive restaurants when they are actually only eating $h!t !

Edited by gamesgplayemail

On 3/16/2020 at 9:50 AM, petermik said:

As john says,nothing new here normal weekend shoppers......:thumbsup:

p.s. anyone know if they have any bog rolls left   :cheesy:

I just looked, we seem to have accumulated 60. Anyone would think we don’t have a bum gun......

Maybe she meant by the bigger roles and didn’t have her glasses on....

Just done a bit of shopping at my local Makro in Sattahip, plenty of car parking spaces, normal amount of shoppers inside. The only stock that was noticeably missing was the Ayam Baked Beans although there was plenty of Brooks Baked Beans on the adjacent shelf.????

On 3/18/2020 at 10:28 AM, Randy Murican said:

Dear Glennb6,

Please, please don't wash your chicken, turkey, etc. Washing will only serve to spread whatever contaminants are on the meat to the surrounding counter surfaces. Cook your desired meat to the recommended temperature and enjoy. This is in regards to meat, not veggies. Try this search string: Don't wash chicken

RM

!?!? so if I (my mrs actually) doesn't splash chicken juice all over the counter and other cooking implements and washes her hands after washing the chicken, have I not got a cleaner chicken with some less possible germs to then cook?

Given the open trough that makro dumps the chicken into, the questionable customers poking through the trough, the occasional dropped chicken pieces that's put back in with the rest (I winced watching an employee do this), let alone where the chicken came from and conditions of it's processing - how the bleep is it not better to wash carefully before cooking.

Serious question

was at makro yesterday for the normal weekly shopping. pretty much the same amount of customers as are typically there and the TP section was well stocked.

the two doctors masquerading as security guards at the entrance shot me in the forehead to assure I was not going to contaminate the store and tried giving me hand sanitizer. I declined the later with a deadpan look.

I'd say about 50/50 on the masks versus daring bare face voyeurs.

4 hours ago, ivor bigun said:

was in big c yesterday in Pattaya ,no crowds all shelves piled high ,although i noticed not a massive amount of pasta,

It's all at my place, on the top shelf, pasta my eyes!