U.S. poll shows growing worries about coronavirus; drop in confidence in government

webfact

U.S. poll shows growing worries about coronavirus; drop in confidence in government

2020-03-16T233556Z_1_LYNXMPEG2F2LF_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-USA.JPG

A man wearing a protective mask is seen following the outbreak of coronavirus disease (COVID-19), in New York City, U.S., March 16, 2020. REUTERS/Jeenah Moon

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Sixty percent of Americans are now 'very' or 'somewhat worried' they or a family member will be exposed to the coronavirus, up from 36% in February, while confidence in the government's ability to respond has fallen sharply, a new poll showed.

The Gallup poll was conducted on March 2-13, shortly after the first positive case of the fast-spreading virus was reported in the United States, and came as the Trump administration accelerated its response to the pandemic.

Sixty-one percent of Americans are 'very' or 'somewhat confident' in the U.S. government's ability to respond, a drop of 16% from February, the poll showed.

(Reporting by Andrea Shalal; Editing by Sandra Maler)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-03-17

3 minutes ago, UbonThani said:

They found existing drugs kill the virus

Panic over

Coronavirus Australia: Queensland researchers find ‘cure’, want drug trial

It does sound like very promising news.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/health-problems/coronavirus-australia-queensland-researchers-find-cure-want-drug-trial/news-story/93e7656da0cff4fc4d2c5e51706accb5

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, candide said:

In addition, it should be mentioned that "the stock market folks" are increasingly composed of computer algorithms anticipating decisions made by other computer algorithms.

The algos react to weighted headlines. That's why Trump put up that tweet a few hours ago about a cure. 

30 minutes ago, earlinclaifornia said:

Not to be rubbing it in. But I am rubbing it in When Cryin ... was bragging about all the money he was making in stocks I reminded him what I learned myself, speaking from experience. PIGS GET SLAUGHTERED! 

Smart pigs know when to short.  Oops!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, bristolboy said:

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/health-problems/coronavirus-australia-queensland-researchers-find-cure-want-drug-trial/news-story/93e7656da0cff4fc4d2c5e51706accb5

Yes I quoted a couple of times but no responds

• Like 1

Posts containing unattributed content have been removed as per the following forum rule:

14) You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Please only post a link, the headline and the first three sentences.

A post using a Twitter post has been removed as this is not a Twitter site. 

17 minutes ago, White Christmas13 said:
7 hours ago, bristolboy said:

Yes I quoted a couple of times but no responds

It's not particularly new, Chloroquine has been researched in vitro and the HIV meds have been explored in China, Japan, Thailand, and probably elsewhere. The HIV drugs are the standard retrovirals in use for a while, at least from my sources. What I hear is these drugs may slow the progression of the disease but they are not a cure. But if you are up in years, that could be very promising. They are also widely available and not expensive, at least in Asia. So yes, good thing to keep an eye on.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rabas said:

It's not particularly new, Chloroquine has been researched in vitro and the HIV meds have been explored in China, Japan, Thailand, and probably elsewhere. The HIV drugs are the standard retrovirals in use for a while, at least from my sources. What I hear is these drugs may slow the progression of the disease but they are not a cure. But if you are up in years, that could be very promising. They are also widely available and not expensive, at least in Asia. So yes, good thing to keep an eye on.

Since they are already approved for other uses that means that they are considered safe. So, I would supply them to all hospitals at least for use on a Hail Mary basis.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, candide said:

There is a clear trend in daily polls since respondents became aware that Trump was talking B.S., even in polls such as Rassmussen which usually shows a pro-Trump bias.

https://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/political_updates/prez_track_mar16

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/daily-presidential-tracking-poll/ar-AADKLI1

Same trend on March 17th

• Like 1

I would have thought with all the money these countries spend on building up their military might, e.g. on March 16, 2017 President Trump submitted his request to Congress for $639 billion in military spending—$54 billion—which represents a 10 percent increase—for FY 2018 as well as $30 billion for FY2017 which ends in September. ... The Congress increased the budget to total 696 billion dollars.

I would have thought that a bigger priority would be to spend money in research to combat all the diseases around the world, guess there isn't as much profit in that.

The cost of developing a vaccine—from research and discovery to product registration—is estimated to be between US $200 million and US $500 million per vaccine.

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2015/02/vaccines-are-profitable-so-what/385214/

2 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I would have thought with all the money these countries spend on building up their military might, e.g. on March 16, 2017 President Trump submitted his request to Congress for $639 billion in military spending—$54 billion—which represents a 10 percent increase—for FY 2018 as well as $30 billion for FY2017 which ends in September. ... The Congress increased the budget to total 696 billion dollars.

I would have thought that a bigger priority would be to spend money in research to combat all the diseases around the world, guess there isn't as much profit in that.

The cost of developing a vaccine—from research and discovery to product registration—is estimated to be between US $200 million and US $500 million per vaccine.

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2015/02/vaccines-are-profitable-so-what/385214/

Why is a 4 trillion dollar (per year) health industry in the US (alone) hard to understand? Because it's not politicized. The folks controlling your thoughts would rather have you bickering with your fellow citizens and calling them deplorable.

And this is what amazes me. A country needs defence everyday. People are well 95% of their lifetime and (should) rarely need medical care. Yet, $4 trillion.

Edited by rabas

Many of those concerned must be thinking what if Trump is not POTUS. If Trump is not POTUS and not dismantled the NSC directorate for global health and security, US will be better prepared for the pandemic. If Trump didn’t initiate the hostility towards China with his trade tariffs and Hua Wei, there will be more information sharing between the two countries. The US medical team will be cordially invites at the crisis early stages and cooperated on all fronts of fighting the virus and preparations. Allies in Europe will be banding together for a global response. Trump created his own crisis. 

1 minute ago, Eric Loh said:

Many of those concerned must be thinking what if Trump is not POTUS. If Trump is not POTUS and not dismantled the NSC directorate for global health and security, US will be better prepared for the pandemic. If Trump didn’t initiate the hostility towards China with his trade tariffs and Hua Wei, there will be more information sharing between the two countries. The US medical team will be cordially invites at the crisis early stages and cooperated on all fronts of fighting the virus and preparations. Allies in Europe will be banding together for a global response. Trump created his own crisis. 

Trump is the POTUS. You are from Singapore?

1 minute ago, Cryingdick said:

Trump is the POTUS. You are from Singapore?

Obviously it was a conditional sentence and he should have used "were" instead of "is". Not everyone posting here is a native speaker of English. It was very clear what he meant. You'd have to work hard not to understand it.

Who doesn't have confidence in our government, with pronoucements from the president like this...

2/26 “The 15 (people) within a couple of days is going to be down to close to 0”

2/28 “One day, it’s like a miracle, it will disappear”

2/28 “This is their new hoax”

3/12 “It’s going to go away”

3/17 “I’ve felt that it was a pandemic long before it was called a pandemic”

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, rabas said:

Why is a 4 trillion dollar (per year) health industry in the US (alone) hard to understand? Because it's not politicized. The folks controlling your thoughts would rather have you bickering with your fellow citizens and calling them deplorable.

And this is what amazes me. A country needs defence everyday. People are well 95% of their lifetime and (should) rarely need medical care. Yet, $4 trillion.

Country's should only need defence from diseases, not wars, but then again, that would be a perfect world would it.

37 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

If Trump didn’t initiate the hostility towards China with his trade tariffs and Hua Wei, there will be more information sharing between the two countries.

So your presumption is if China is not allowed to use wildly unfair trade practices, or use its government supported companies to commit illegal acts around the world, then, China should retaliate against others during a global pandemic and humanitarian crisis that they themselves started? 

7 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Who doesn't have confidence in our government, with pronoucements from the president like this...

2/26 “The 15 (people) within a couple of days is going to be down to close to 0”

2/28 “One day, it’s like a miracle, it will disappear”

2/28 “This is their new hoax”

3/12 “It’s going to go away”

3/17 “I’ve felt that it was a pandemic long before it was called a pandemic”

Thats gold.

So where are all the testing kits.

2 minutes ago, rabas said:

If Trump didn’t initiate the hostility towards China with his trade tariffs and Hua Wei, there will be more information sharing between the two countries.

So your presumption is if China is not allowed to use wildly unfair trade practices, or use its government supported companies to commit illegal acts around the world, then, China should retaliate against others during a global pandemic and humanitarian crisis that they themselves started? 

What he is saying is that trump has been incompetent and daffy duck would do a better job. That is obvious to all.

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, rhyddid said:

US citizens are finally open their own eyes on the disgraced due Trump Pence management ? 

No just being bombarded with media lies.

Like I have said before, dont let a good crisi go to waste. The Democrats would love to see a recession and mass death in an election year.

https://justthenews.com/accountability/political-ethics/yates-other-obama-doj-officials-sounded-alarm-about-fbis-treatment

https://thefederalist.com/2020/03/17/joe-biden-lies-about-coronavirus-testing-to-make-trump-look-bad/

https://nypost.com/2020/03/16/even-during-coronavirus-crisis-liberal-media-cant-resist-spreading-lies/

But Im listening to an interview with Cumo right now and he seems to be happy. Hes gained my respect, hes not playing partisan games. Unlike the others in his party.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sujo said:

What he is saying is that trump has been incompetent and daffy duck would do a better job. That is obvious to all.

Yet, no one before him has done so, with respect to the China issue, which was the subbject, not Trump.

Edited by rabas