METV border run during COVID19 travel bans

I'm posting this as a topic so that everybody can update as the situation moves along. Lots of people stay on METVs and will therefore wonder when and where they can exit on their necessary out-of-border days, that is to say 60 days from entry plus 30 days extension, and the last day of visa validity to gain an extra 60+30 days. The purpose of this topic is limited to identifying where and when it is still possible to exit and enter on METV for EU+UK citizens. My own METV is valid until April 17th, on that day I will have to do a border exit.

Cambodia has implemented an entry ban for Germans, French, Italians, Spaniards, and Americans, effective from March 16th for 30 days, that is to say until April 15th (which would be OK for me if not extended). Malaysia closes its borders effective from March 18th until March 31st because of the severe outbreak there. Myanmar imposes a 14-day self-quarantine for visitors from Italy, Germany, France, Spain and Iran. Vietnam has cancelled visa waivers for EU+UK citizens, who - if they have been there in the past 14 days - are banned from entry as of March 15th for 30 days - I'm not sure how / if they check one's travel history. Laos has, to my knowledge, not imposed restrictions as of yet, and would therefore seem the only viable option for a border run right now. The EU itself will, as of noon March 17th, close all outside borders for 30 days for non-EU citizens (except those with residency or permits).

If Thailand should follow suit and close its borders, I suppose it is anybody's guess at this point if visitors on METV would be allowed back in, so speculation is as of now useless. I will try to obtain that information from immigration when I get my extension tomorrow, but it would not surprise me if staff doesn't know. If you are doing a border run on a non-residence visa soon, please tell if there is anything to add. Please refrain from speculation or any information unrelated to METV / non-residency border runs. Thank you, and remember: This too shall pass.

You have to look at the travel restrictions carefully for many nearby countries.

For example Cambodia.

"CAMBODIA – published 14.03.2020
Effective from 17.03.2020:
All passengers who in the past 14 days have been to, or are originating from France, Germany, Italy, Spain or USA are not allowed to enter or transit Cambodia. This restriction applies for 30 days.
- This does not apply to nationals of Cambodia or residents of Cambodia."

Source: https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/international-travel-document-news/1580226297.htm

No restrictions are shown for Laos.

MYANMAR - published 15.03.2020
"1. Nationals of China (People's Rep.) traveling to Myanmar can no longer obtain a visa on arrival.
2. Passengers arriving from China (People's Rep.) on any Chinese airline can no longer obtain a visa on arrival.
3. All passengers arriving from France, Germany, Iran, Italy, Spain are subject to quarantine in isolated hospital for 14 days."

Note the arriving from part. If you are here it does not apply to you.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Malaysia has made a total ban on foreigners entering and citizens from leaving as of today.

I am aware of that. It is in the news forum.

Had a PM about it early this morning waiting for me to open it.

• Like 1

Does anybody think that Thailand will be lenient on overstayers during the Covid-19 period? Or will they expect you to leave and go to your home country as that may well be the only country come next week that will allow you entry?

Regarding the OP, maybe it is worthwhile doing a border run now ie tomorrow to get a fresh 60 days and then 30 days extension.

3 hours ago, QPRFC said:

Does anybody think that Thailand will be lenient on overstayers during the Covid-19 period?

Covid-19 is no valid excuse for an overstay, given the many reasons for which an extension of stay can be obtained at the local immigration office.

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, QPRFC said:

Does anybody think that Thailand will be lenient on overstayers during the Covid-19 period? Or will they expect you to leave and go to your home country as that may well be the only country come next week that will allow you entry?

Regarding the OP, maybe it is worthwhile doing a border run now ie tomorrow to get a fresh 60 days and then 30 days extension.

If there are any flights! I think the Thai authorities should quite reasonably be issuing 30-90 day extensions for as long as it takes for global travel restrictions to be lifted.

Interestingly, life is slowly getting back to normal in China, but they too are tightening up on both Chinese and foreigners arriving in the country now. Even more interesting is that during the height of the epidemic in that country last month, anyone could arrive in China and visas were readily being issued...in contrast to all the countries that were closing their borders with China and restricting Chinese travelers.

12 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Immigration is already issuing a 30 day extension if you cannot leave the country due to travel restrictions and etc.

You need a letter from your embassy requesting it to do the application.

You can get more than one 30 day extension if needed. There is no limit on the number of them you can get back to back.

Sad that they have made it more difficult than necessary by saying you need a letter from your embassy

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Sad that they have made it more difficult than necessary by saying you need a letter from your embassy

Afaik the option to get an extension based on an embassy letter has existed before Corona, it was just never used in the past.

If we are very lucky (i highly doubt it), immigration might issue a police order which says that while the pandemic lasts people can apply for consecutive regular 30 day extensions, thus not requiring an embassy letter.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Afaik the option to get an extension based on an embassy letter has existed before Corona, it was just never used in the past.

If we are very lucky (i highly doubt it), immigration might issue a police order which says that while the pandemic lasts people can apply for consecutive regular 30 day extensions, thus not requiring an embassy letter.

That would be good for people but currently there is an anti foreigner vibe, so i think Immigration would rather us just leave the country

40 minutes ago, sharktooth said:

Gut feeling about the border at Mae Sai closing? I’m on metv and extended in Chiang mai last week. Now wondering whether to bite the bullet and head up to Mae Sai and get the 60 days (+ 30) after bouncing back in.

I'm in nearly the same situation, i'm looking closely at what Thailand and Myanmar are doing every day, and if they should announce any changes which would make the border run impossible in the future, i would hop on my motorbike today and drive up there to do the border run.

If they should announce such changes being effective immediately then this would of cours be bad luck and i have to find another way.

4 minutes ago, jackdd said:

I'm in nearly the same situation, i'm looking closely at what Thailand and Myanmar are doing every day, and if they should announce any changes which would make the border run impossible in the future, i would hop on my motorbike today and drive up there to do the border run.

If they should announce such changes being effective immediately then this would of cours be bad luck and i have to find another way.

I wonder if there will be any warning though? As you say, if I hear anything I’ll jump in the car and go.

11 minutes ago, sharktooth said:

I wonder if there will be any warning though? As you say, if I hear anything I’ll jump in the car and go.

I can just hope that they would announce it a day or two in advance, it's a gamble, nobody knows.

I'm in the lucky position that i'm from Germany, so if everything here in Thailand fails i just need any flight to Europe (or any other country which lets me in), i guess that's always possible. If i would be from some country in Africa or South America i would be more concerned about being left stranded in Thailand.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, jackdd said:

I can just hope that they would announce it a day or two in advance, it's a gamble, nobody knows.

I'm in the lucky position that i'm from Germany, so if everything here in Thailand fails i just need any flight to Europe (or any other country which lets me in), i guess that's always possible. If i would be from some country in Africa or South America i would be more concerned about being left stranded in Thailand.

Yeah, hope so. I’m from uk. Thanks for your input. Just need to stay on top of it.

33 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Apparently bounces have now stopped at Mae Sai. Need to apply for Evisa first. Looks like the third world country are cashing in.

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Got a flight from CNX to Siem Reap (via Dmk) for 1600bht ....... tomorrow, return after the weekend the same price.

Flights to Siem Reap are very cheap at the moment.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

That would be good for people but currently there is an anti foreigner vibe, so i think Immigration would rather us just leave the country

Nah...don't base this off of a racist comment made by a health minister thinking that all of a sudden immigration (which is not his portfolio) will make knee jerk reactions off of that. Besides, we can't leave if the borders are all closed and there are no flights or other forms of transportation.

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

Would an EU passport let anyone from Thailand fly into anywhere in Europe in these Covid-19 circumstances? Won't they have stop them if there are certain bans for people who have been in Thailand?

49 minutes ago, sharktooth said:

Apparently bounces have now stopped at Mae Sai. Need to apply for Evisa first. Looks like the third world country are cashing in.

I just called Chiang Rai immigration to ask if there have been any changes for European citizens at the Mae Sai crossing. I was told no changes besides the ones for Italian citizens. Border pass for Myanmar as before. He also hadn't heard of any planned changes yet. So Mae Sai should still be good, of course this could change tomorrow.

15 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Would an EU passport let anyone from Thailand fly into anywhere in Europe in these Covid-19 circumstances? Won't they have stop them if there are certain bans for people who have been in Thailand?

To my understanding an EU country can not deny entry to an EU citizen, they have to let you in.

Edited by jackdd

2 minutes ago, jackdd said:

To my understanding a EU country can not deny entry to a EU citizen, they have to let you in.

That's good news as a backup plan. Can anyone else confirm that this is the case?

19 minutes ago, jackdd said:

I just called Chiang Rai immigration to ask if there have been any changes for European citizens at the Mae Sai crossing. I was told no changes besides the ones for Italian citizens. Border pass for Myanmar as before. He also hadn't heard of any planned changes yet. So Mae Sai should still be good, of course this could change tomorrow.

To my understanding an EU country can not deny entry to an EU citizen, they have to let you in.

C7778991-F487-4484-8757-1998ACE1B4A2.jpeg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, drbeach said:

Nah...don't base this off of a racist comment made by a health minister thinking that all of a sudden immigration (which is not his portfolio) will make knee jerk reactions off of that. Besides, we can't leave if the borders are all closed and there are no flights or other forms of transportation.

Wasn't even thinking of the health minister, its a feeling you get, thais are worried about falang spreading Corona, i double checked with a thai friend today and she agreed

What's an METV? I'm on an annual retirement extension, but I'm sending a photo of the opening post and the URL of this thread to an acquaintance, who approached me digitally to give some advice on where he can go for border runs.

He's a Brit who arrived here a few months ago and I presume from his message to me that he is on some kind of shorter term tourist visa obtained from the UK or some kind of extension/visa obtained here in Thailand here having started with the 30 day tourist waiver.

I think he has a relationship that means he intends to find a way of staying longer term, but is up against his present license to be here running out shortly.

Edited by SantiSuk

5 hours ago, SantiSuk said:

What's an METV? I'm on an annual retirement extension, but I'm sending a photo of the opening post and the URL of this thread to an acquaintance, who approached me digitally to give some advice on where he can go for border runs.

He's a Brit who arrived here a few months ago and I presume from his message to me that he is on some kind of shorter term tourist visa obtained from the UK or some kind of extension/visa obtained here in Thailand here having started with the 30 day tourist waiver.

I think he has a relationship that means he intends to find a way of staying longer term, but is up against his present license to be here running out shortly.

Multiple Entry Tourist Visa

• Like 1

So I was at immigration today to get my extension early and, as predicted, they were unable to say how conditions for re-entry may change in case of lockdown. The newest on that would be thishttps://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/1881445/pm-third-stage-covid-19-would-justify-countrywide-lockdown

Thanks ubonjoe for showing that it should still be possible to cross into Cambodia if you can prove that you haven't been in Europe in the past 14 days, it would be great if someone who did that could confirm it.

My husband says that if I get a test prior to crossing the border, it should be no problem to get back in, and he also says that cheaper tests should be available from April as they have already been developed. Source (in Thai): https://www.hfocus.org/content/2020/03/18699

9 hours ago, sharktooth said:

C7778991-F487-4484-8757-1998ACE1B4A2.jpeg

One person said he didn't have a problem, but there are indeed a few persons who couldn't get the border pass.

Now Laos announced that the borders are closed and no more visa on arrival, no warning in advance.

So i guess tomorrow i will make a trip to Mae Sot to get a new entry before Myanmar decides to close the border.

• Thanks 1