METV border run during COVID19 travel bans

18 hours ago, sharktooth said:

Now wondering whether to bite the bullet and head up to Mae Sai and get the 60 days (+ 30) after bouncing back in.

I thought I read that border was closed for border bounce (unless you had a Visa). 

44 minutes ago, johnny1966 said:

Does anyone know if we can still do the 500 baht border bounce into Myanmar via Kanchanaburi?

It was ok yesterday and a visa run company went there today without a problem.

On 3/18/2020 at 10:50 AM, jackdd said:

Afaik the option to get an extension based on an embassy letter has existed before Corona, it was just never used in the past.

If we are very lucky (i highly doubt it), immigration might issue a police order which says that while the pandemic lasts people can apply for consecutive regular 30 day extensions, thus not requiring an embassy letter.

I just received an email from the US embassy saying:

"On March 18, 2020, the Royal Thai Government's (RTG) Bureau of Immigration issued a directive which authorizes immigration officials to approve extensions of stay not exceeding 30 days for certain foreign nationals, including U.S. citizens. The extension of stay, granted at the discretion of the immigration officer, may be granted if the applicant is deemed a person affected by the COVID-19 crisis. The U.S Embassy has formally requested that flexibility be shown by Royal Thai immigration officers to U.S. citizens in Thailand who are affected by travel restrictions." 

But going to Chaeng Wattana expecting a visa extension based on the whim of an officer seems like a fool's errand to me.

The German embassy closed yesterday for public traffic and they also deny statements for immigration to apply for 30 day extensions on flight cancellations (https://bangkok.diplo.de/th-de/service/aktuelle-informationen/2320408).

The new air travel restrictions valid from March 21st, according to which passengers traveling to Thailand must present a certificate of health not older than 72 hours, and health insurance cover of at least 100000 US$, have been issued by the Civil Aviation Authority, and therefore do not apply to land border crossings.

Laos has not closed all border checkpoints. Nong Khai (Friendship Bridge I) remains open, as does Savannakhet (Friendship Bridge II), even though its airport checkpoint is closed.

Mae Sae latest. Closed, even with E-Visa.

Friend of mine, turned away yesterday, he had the E-Visa.

Then got a bus to Chiang Khong to cross into Laos. Arrived around 7pm, was told no problem to go in and out. When he arrived back at Thai border was told he can not come in until assessed by a Doctor, who is due to arrive 7am today!

He is currently (after spending last night on the floor outside immigration) waiting to be assessed by a Doctor to confirm he is fit.

• Sad 1

Yesterday evening there was a report on what effectively amounts to a travel ban to Thailand, with the official announcement by CAAT refering to airline requirements (https://www.caat.or.th/en/archives/48714). Deputy prime minister Anutin Charnvirakul has announced that land borders will also be closed but did not mention when ("It is unclear when the new measure will take effect and how it will be enforced at various border points."). There are two different announcements to Thai embassies abroad, with the result that Thai citizens themselves cannot return by air right now. Source  (in Thai): https://www.matichon.co.th/foreign/news_2069610. 

Laos has suspended the issuance of visa on arrival yesterday for thirty days ! That means if you are on METV, you can currently make no border run to Laos unless you already have a visa. It is apparently still possible to apply for one via the embassy.

3 minutes ago, MagnumForce said:

Tried that phone number: "The callee has no right to receive such call". Does that mean they are disconnected? Does anyone in the Khon Kaen area know if the Laos Consulate there is still open and issuing Lao visas, please?

Many thanks,

MF

Plenty of info on these forums .

I do believe that Laos is closed now, apart from to people who already have visas

For German citizens on any type of visa that requires a border run after 90 days, the situation is now effectively a Catch-22. Immigration would issue an additional 30-day extension if they get a letter from the applicant's embassy which states that it is impossible to travel. However, the German embassy's homepage explicitly states that it does not issue such a statement. It also says that you should arrange for transport back to Germany; that the embassy cannot help with that; and that there is no repatriation plan (as for other countries). In other words, if you're German, you're on your own (https://bangkok.diplo.de/th-de/service/aktuelle-informationen/2320408). This situation is likely to last until April 30th, as this is for now the duration of Germany's international travel warning. Other EU nationalities may receive more assistance, please check your respective embassy pages.

I'm currently hoping that there will not be a nationwide lockdown (which would make passage back into Thailand much more difficult), and that Cambodia will not extend its travel ban for EU citizens in mid-April - the wording of that ban should actually still allow for overland passage into Cambodia, but unless someone here can confirm that this is the case, I'm not so sure about that.

Thought I'd think positively so I bought a Nok Air fly + ride ticket to Mukdahan a few hours ago. Cost was 4173, including extras like seats and meals. That didn't last long! Two hours later I read that all visa issuance had ceased for Laos. Nok Air said sorry that ticket is nonrefundable.

My third extension of a Non-O (marriage) expires on April 5. The reason I'm not renewing is that my wife isn't available to attend Immigration with me. I'll try to get it switched to retirement, having more than 12 months of 65,000+ transfers from the US to show.

If that fails (and Nonthaburi IO is not always the most sympathetic place on earth), I hope Myanmar stays open and I can do a bounce at the Ban Phu Nam Ron crossing. I'll keep my fingers crossed. I may just have to throw myself on the mercy of the powers that be in the end.

49 minutes ago, paddlinsteve said:

Thought I'd think positively so I bought a Nok Air fly + ride ticket to Mukdahan a few hours ago. Cost was 4173, including extras like seats and meals. That didn't last long! Two hours later I read that all visa issuance had ceased for Laos. Nok Air said sorry that ticket is nonrefundable.

My third extension of a Non-O (marriage) expires on April 5. The reason I'm not renewing is that my wife isn't available to attend Immigration with me. I'll try to get it switched to retirement, having more than 12 months of 65,000+ transfers from the US to show.

If that fails (and Nonthaburi IO is not always the most sympathetic place on earth), I hope Myanmar stays open and I can do a bounce at the Ban Phu Nam Ron crossing. I'll keep my fingers crossed. I may just have to throw myself on the mercy of the powers that be in the end.

Sorry Phu Nam Ron is closed from Saturday due an article from Bangkok Post about an hour ago. Thailand start to close more borders. Check it out.      Kanchanaburi governor Jirakiat Phumsawad ordered the suspension of the Phu Nam Ron permanent checkpoint in Muang district and the Three Pagodas crossing in Sangkhla Buri from Saturday to April 3.