Go or not go?

Saltire

The son of our village chief is becoming a monk next week, complete with the procession round the village, cermonies, food, drink etc and the wife and I have been invited to the 2 day event.

The wife is scared, and I share her concern as it will be a large gathering with many of his family arriving from all over Thailand. He had a funeral last year and the place was packed with about 200 attending. In light of the current situation, the wife does not want to go, we are quite happy in our own self-imposed isolation.

However,

If we go we risk infection if some one from outside brings it to the village.

If we don't go we may encounter some potential resistance should we need his assistance in the future. It is always noted who attends and who doesn't at these local events.

To make things a little more awkward we live 50 metres from his house and my brother-in-law is supplying the sound system for the event.

We may be overthinking this, as at some point the virus may reach the village another route anyway, but it seems a tad irresponsible to arrange this now when large gatherings are supposed to be cancelled or at least postponed.

??????????????

5 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Take adequate precautions, wear a mask, dont touch any surfaces, if you do, use hand sanitizer.(carry a tube in your pocket or wifes bag)

I wouldnt eat or drink anything from there either.

Just a suggestion.

Oh, and tell the wife to make small offering to spirits at that little house in the garden before you go. ????

Not worth going if he's gonna follow your advice is it?

I'd just go and have a good time, the BIG man has a path for each of us!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Looks like common sense has arrived at last.

The now-daily Poo Yai tannoy messages are in the main about the coming potential health issues, and inlude the messages being put out elsewhere for weeks now, wash hands etc. Be careful of visits from family from Bangkok etc. Avoid crowds, only leave home/village if you really have to.

Wife now happy not to go. Thanks for your input.

Stay safe.

• Like 1

On 3/17/2020 at 1:34 PM, HashBrownHarry said:

Not worth going if he's gonna follow your advice is it?

I'd just go and have a good time, the BIG man has a path for each of us!

The big man, no wonder you don't believe much in the virus. But you do believe in imaginary friends. We had a group of Dutch bible thumpers too who all went to a church gathering when they were told not too. Part of the group got the virus. All equally smart believing in an imaginary invisible friend while risking others.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Don't let hype, propaganda etc set in. Treat these kind of infections with the respect they deserve but no more. Covid 19 is said to be more contagious than flu or colds but then you might equally surmise that you are more likely to suffer from a mosquito borne disease if you go to the gathering than if you stay at home. If you know the people and the area then let common sense be your guide. 

As far as I am aware actual attendance is not mandatory. A Wai as you hand over the envelope containing the money is all that is required. This is not me being facetious, it's what happens locally when people are unable to attend.

You didn't  say your ages or it other health  issues or smoking  history.   I would say if under 55 go cautiously but they ate finding permanent lung scarring in some % of recovered  people.  Plus some dont get sick much others says its bloody hell.  

Send a gift  and money .  

This virus is real,  its everywhere,  it spreads easily, you know the 10-20 times worse than no rd mal flu bit.  Believe the facts published in the Lancet or not.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Elkski said:

You didn't  say your ages or it other health  issues or smoking  history.   I would say if under 55 go cautiously but they ate finding permanent lung scarring in some % of recovered  people.  Plus some dont get sick much others says its bloody hell.  

Send a gift  and money .  

This virus is real,  its everywhere,  it spreads easily, you know the 10-20 times worse than no rd mal flu bit.  Believe the facts published in the Lancet or not.  

I am with you on taking this very seriously so I will err on the cautous side.

We have decided not to attend just to give the gift in the envelope now. And as you ask, I am in the 'vlunerable' category, otherwise known as cannon fodder if I were back in the UK. 65, diabetic, heart condition, blood pressure, other than that I am perfectly fine ????

It's just not worth the risk.

• Like 2

When the fella upstairs says your numbers up there’s nothing any of us can do about it. When your born the only guarantee we have is one day we will die what happens in between is a bonus ,personally I wouldn’t go , lock the door and keep a low profile and if anyone asks why you weren’t there say you had a migraine. 

1 hour ago, Saltire said:

Am hearing now that the impending arrival of the virus has many people rightly worried, I have a feeling we will not be the only ones attending now.

No need for excuses I reckon.

Thanks

Typo - only ones NOT attending now.

Your wife should tell you that it is essential that you do go. If you don’t because you are an “outsider” & have been invited, it will be a serious loss of face to the Pho Yai & that’s not good for him or your standing within the community. Just take adequate precautions, without making him lose face & you look stupid. Have fun & enjoy the occasion 

• Like 1

Once they are merry and in their cups they won't notice you are not there. Send some food / money and then cry off cos your ill and lie low along with the missus. If you are motivated enough to post here then you're worried and once paranoia sets in (or a careful analysis of risk) it's no longer fun. Are you a risk category btw ?

15 hours ago, crazykopite said:

When the fella upstairs says your numbers up there’s nothing any of us can do about it. When your born the only guarantee we have is one day we will die what happens in between is a bonus ,personally I wouldn’t go , lock the door and keep a low profile and if anyone asks why you weren’t there say you had a migraine. 

But in this case it's not a lightning strike but a virus with a known pathology and transmission that is growing in numbers. And IMHO there's no fella upstairs just the world and known knowns. And if there is a 'fella' - why curse the world with pestilence !