Coronavirus: British Pound plunges to its lowest level in over 30 years

webfact

4 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

As part of the EU, the UK had a reciprocal treatment agreement with the rest of the EU countries. It may still be in effect but won't be once Brexit happens. Unless the final agreement stipulates otherwise.

Another good excuse reason for Boris " Extension Uturn ….."...... for the health benefits in ultra extraordinary circumstances…????. followed by his usual big rhetoric phrases etc etc ...

Brexiteers  watch your case ….. as …...

Edited by david555
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

28 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

As part of the EU, the UK had a reciprocal treatment agreement with the rest of the EU countries. It may still be in effect but won't be once Brexit happens. Unless the final agreement stipulates otherwise.

Yes, but once again , we arent talking about that 

2 hours ago, sanemax said:

What are those negative impacts on the NHS ?

TBH, this discussion is going nowhere .

Lets just look out the window and watch the clouds float by .

I noticed an NHS recruiting ad during last night's 'Peston' on ITV. It's the first such ad that I have noticed (i usually skip them anyway).

5 hours ago, deej said:

Why did u leave out the Crash of Tourism ?

and Exports are at a respectable.

Pull the other one .and it will yodel

Of interest to the ne'er do wells loitering on multiple British threads & rubbing their hands together like sanitizing corvid 19ers with ADHD:

The latest statistics posted a joint-record high employment rate (76.5%), while the number of people employed in the private and public sector reached over 27 million and 5.3 million respectively.

The news follows last week’s budget in which the Chancellor announced an increase to the National Living Wage and raised National Insurance Contribution thresholds to £9,500 – helping those on low pay.

It also included new measures to support workers and businesses to meet current challenges arising from the coronavirus outbreak. The Chancellor allocated £12 billion for temporary, timely and targeted measures such as paying Statutory Sick Pay from day one.

Two years wage growth

(This current crisis is only short term)

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Yes, but once again , we arent talking about that 

What do you mean, you're not talking about that? When the UK was in the EU there was a partnership. UK citizens get treated by the national health services of EU members and in return they are entitled to treatment from the NHS. That's not a partnership? What picayune definition of partnership do you subscribe to that makes this arrangement not qualify?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bristolboy said:

What do you mean, you're not talking about that? When the UK was in the EU there was a partnership. UK citizens get treated by the national health services of EU members and in return they are entitled to treatment from the NHS. That's not a partnership? What picayune definition of partnership do you subscribe to that makes this arrangement not qualify?

How will that now effect the UKs treatment of its Corona  cases ?

5 minutes ago, sanemax said:

How will that now effect the UKs treatment of its Corona  cases ?

I'll tell you how. It means ill citizens of the EU wouldn't have to trave from the UK to get treated and Ill uk citizens wouldn't have to travel from the EU to get treated. Public transport is now recognized as a major way that the virus gets spread. The less travel there is, the less the pandemic propagates. This kind of partnerships results in something called a win-win. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Just now, sanemax said:

There have been no changes though . 

UK citizens can still get medical treatment t in the E.U and vice versa

yes  , that's the case until 31 December full independence steps in I guess , as nobody knows what Boris go decide 30 June limit day in present situation ….difficult choice "cholera or the plague "

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sanemax said:

There have been no changes though . 

UK citizens can still get medical treatment t in the E.U and vice versa

Only until the end of the year. Now two things. Corona virus may well be history by then and or the UK and EU will agree to carry on the arrangement as it stands.

I think we all hope that will be the case.

• Like 1

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CNXexpat said:

My source is always updated. Yours say 177 cases in Thailand, my 272. I guess in mine these cases are included https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2020/03/19/thailand-reports-60-new-cases-the-highest-surge-to-date/

Interesting though that your link shows 80,928 cases in China whilst the WHO shows 81,116, dunno why.

22 minutes ago, vogie said:

Screenshot_2020-03-19-14-32-58-154.thumb.jpeg.3911f4b668d258e58579f5c2309d3021.jpeg

Thanks for the link, it sheds a totally different light on the subject when you include others. 

I wrote not about the number of cases. They can increase very quick as you can see in Thailand right now with plus 60. I look at the case-deaths ratio, what is really bad in the UK. By example South Korea and Germany have much more cases than the UK but also much less deaths. 

Edited by CNXexpat
  • Like 2

Sadly for the UK folk are clamouring for dollars and there is a wall of money looking for the relative safety of the baht whether real or imagined. The absolutely huge amounts of money we throw at the problem will lead to further currency depreciation whereas Thailand will spend as little as possible because in Thailand life is cheap in the UK thankfully not. I have considerable savings here and I expect moving forward to lose a great deal of them when we try to patch the economy up after the 'war'. Which is only right and fair in the end. Bank runs will be the next thing to happen. 

Edited by URMySunshine

2 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

We know that the British Pound plunge because of the Coronavirus.

I make monthly transfers from Belgium(Euro) to Thailand using Transferwise.

In January I got 33.69 net

In February 34.13

Now 34.92

Is this also because of the Coronavirus?

Or is it the Coronavirus only when a currency go down?

Nothing is ever the fault of Brexit.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

We know that the British Pound plunge because of the Coronavirus.

I make monthly transfers from Belgium(Euro) to Thailand using Transferwise.

In January I got 33.69 net

In February 34.13

Now 34.92

Is this also because of the Coronavirus?

Or is it the Coronavirus only when a currency go down?

Its quite a complex issue .

Money men have been ditching the Pound in favour of U.S $

The Baht also weakened which made your money rise .

• Thanks 1