driving to border now

Does the Burmese embassy in Bangkok have a telephone where enquiries can be made ? Or is information online available online ?

Well.....here is their number 02 233 2237

Out of interest I just called and a woman there has just told me that as of from 1 hour ago they have been notified that the Mae Sot border has been closed. I asked if a crossing were possible with an evisa but she was not sure but thought not.

Anybody thinking about crossing here could phone for themselves and see if any more information is available. Perhaps they might have the phone number of Burmese immigration at Mae Sot then you could get the info straight from the horses mouth.

I crossed here three months ago and there are a hell of a lot of Chinese people using this crossing to enter the Chinese economic development zone just over the bridge.  If you can still cross and find a big queue at Burmese immigration then unless you go straight to the head of the queue and ask for your turn around stamps you will have a long wait since at that time all the chinese were applying for a visa on arrival and the Burmese officers were totally stressed out.

Good luck

my partner is trying to cross the border right now in the south at Ranong. She said the thai immigration said the border with Myanmar is closed but other ppl told her it closes tonight at 12. She is going to try and cross. Im waiting to see what happens and if it's possible, come hell or high water, i will drive to Mae Sot and try myself. 

Just now, vermin on arrival said:

Does anyone know the situation at the crossings into Laos, in particular Mukdahan Savanakhet? I was to fly to Taiwan on March 29 and was unable to get on a flight yesterday before the country closed at midnight. Is an in out run still possible or will I have to ride things out in Laos?

You cannot get a visa on arrival. That much is certain. The consensus seems to be that the border Mukdahan/Savannakhet is still open if you have an existing visa (but unclear for how long)

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, sammael said:

my partner is trying to cross the border right now in the south at Ranong. She said the thai immigration said the border with Myanmar is closed but other ppl told her it closes tonight at 12. She is going to try and cross. Im waiting to see what happens and if it's possible, come hell or high water, i will drive to Mae Sot and try myself. 

There is also a border at Phu Nam Ron in Kanchanaburi. Crossed there last week as have others. A bit smaller than Mae Sot so might be an option.

1 minute ago, BritTim said:

You cannot get a visa on arrival. That much is certain. The consensus seems to be that the border Mukdahan/Savannakhet is still open if you have an existing visa (but unclear for how long)

So I won't be allowed to enter Laos anywhere? Is there any word of Thailand giving emergency extensions to people not being able to find a way out?

4 minutes ago, vermin on arrival said:

So I won't be allowed to enter Laos anywhere? Is there any word of Thailand giving emergency extensions to people not being able to find a way out?

no way anywhere into laos as a tourist, they suspended visas for tourists.

there has been news that thailand will allow overstay if you cannot go anywhere because of travel restrictions and get a letter from your embassy. but for me personally that is not the case right now. As a USA citizen i have some countries i can fly to so Im assuming im not allowed to overstay.

Edited by at15

So is it conclusive then that the borders with Myanmar are closed?

And with Laos?

Very frustrating that there is no easy way to check all this information. Instead you have to call around to travel agencies in the area. Information seems reliable but who knows. 

Im still waiting to find out if Thailand will close the borders today or not...that will be a game changer.

i think the issue is not always that there is no where to go but that flights are ridiculously expensive now. When I checked last week flights were around $500 one way Chiang Mai to LA and now they are more than double. And thats for a 30+ hr flight! 

Plus can you imagine being stuck in a closed cabin with circulating air with a bunch pf panicked ppl. Thats a recipe for spreading the virus and panic even more. Makes more sense for ppl to stay put until this disease has run its course or theres a vaccine readily available. 

Airlines gouging and countries doing the same...business as usual 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, sammael said:

So is it conclusive then that the borders with Myanmar are closed?

So far as far as I know it is only Mae Sai that is wanting a visa for entry.

No reports for the other crossing about it. I am sure if Mae Sot or Ranong were doing the same we would of heard about it.

Also this crossing is OK.

30 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

A company that does runs to the crossing at Ban Phu Nam Ron in Kanchanaburi to Myanmar did a update for today and they are still doing the run to there. So not all crossings are wanting a visa.

I heard from multiple ppl that the land border with Myanmar is closed. I would love to have confirmation on this. Cant get an evisa with a port of entry as land border anymore. I dont know if risking the evisa with a airport entry and entering through a land border will work...

ok i will wait to hear from the member at the border right now.

If anyone decides to go from Chiang Mai or knows of anyone going, please let me hitch a ride! Driving my bike will be hell in the short time period!

Cheers

so i just got an update from my partner in Ranong. She just got through the border into Myanmar and was the last one apparently. The guy she was with tipped the immigration authorities. The border is closed as of 12pm not 12 midnight. 

2 minutes ago, sammael said:

ok i will wait to hear from the member at the border right now.

If anyone decides to go from Chiang Mai or knows of anyone going, please let me hitch a ride! Driving my bike will be hell in the short time period!

Cheers

im staying a night in mae sot. your going to drive the bike back at night?

Ok i was finally able to get through to the immigration authorities in Myanmar and they said that the land borders were closed as of this morning. It being SEA I'm not surprised that it actually closed at 12 noon. Even with an E-visa entry is denied. So thats that for border crossings. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1