Just had the COVID inspectors around checking on me.

MikeN

to the OP, and in concurrence with BritManToo's reply, as far as I know, a warrant is required for a govt official to demand entry to your home. Unless the govt worker presented you with a warrant or returned with the police and a warrant, GTFO! "No you cannot come in" and walk away. Mai Ow quee gep khun or however it's said.

• Sad 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

They must be telling them a whole lot of rubbish about the virus on Thai television.....my wife wants me to take a shower when I come home. I asked her where she got that from and it was TV. I had to explain about the fave and hands etc. Went to Macro and two women in some kind of uniform taking temperatures and giving hand sanitizer squirts. A lot of the people in Big C wearing those latex gloves and pretty much all wearing masks. Not a lot of people in either place or the Mall. Easy shopping for me.

4 minutes ago, MeePeeMai said:

Meanwhile, the Thai's sit around the table eating sticky rice and other Isaan food with their fingers... in the mouth and back into the same dish that everyone else is eating from (not to mention villagers all drinking from the same cups dipping them into the cooler filled with ice water).

Pick up a handful of sticky rice, roll it into a ball with your dirty hands (the same dirty hands they pick their noses with and cough into), dip your dirty ball of sticky rice into a bowl of food and stick it in right your pie hole. Everyone there at the meal doing the same thing everyday.. rinse and repeat several times a day.

What good is wearing a mask when they continue to follow such traditions?

No they are certainly following the general Corona virus precautions and safe food handling techniques! 5555  

I got a case of the mumps likely from improperly washed silverware in the far North of Scotland. Not fun as an adult. 

It's all about me, me, me!!!

Meanwhile in my rural village in Isaan things are as normal as ever. Not spied any curtain twitching yet and if Nursey wants to check my temperature and know where I've been for the past few weeks I'd be more than happy to let him/her (any other gender pronoun he/her/it would like to be known by) know. It's nice to know they care lol.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

went to local market where I have been going for over 7 years to hear the falang falang warning and at BigC mothers were pulling their kids away lest they get infected from dirty foreigner, the government outbursts from idiot ministers have to bear some responsibility for this xenophobia.

How strange, my wife and I were at MAKRO today, and same employees as usual laughing and joking with us, no strange looks, or avoidance from anyone.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, WalkingOrders said:

How strange, my wife and I were at MAKRO today, and same employees as usual laughing and joking with us, no strange looks, or avoidance from anyone.

I never go in those establishments, but my comment was not about staff who seem just the same

Edited by Orton Rd
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, soalbundy said:

I went to the market town near me in Isan for the first time in a week, WO! how things have changed, I went to Tesco's and about 30% of the public were wearing masks including farangs, neither I nor my family wore them but we weren't treated any differently. In my village nobody wears them yet.

I went out today and I rarely  go out and wow how things hadnt changed, some  Thais said  hello and  immigration at  Hua  Hin were as  good  as  ever.

• Like 1

Racism of any kind is always wrong. It will always feel bad when you are at the receiving end. 

There are instances of Chinese-looking people in western countries getting the same treatment that they are virus-carriers even though they aren't Chinese citizens.

So don't target any particular racial group. Everyone has an equal chance of being infected regardless of your race. 

Previously, it was the Chinese-looking who are targeted , now it is the European-looking turn. 

Both types of stigmatization on the basis of race are wrong.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, jak2002003 said:

So what do you suggest OP does now... Learn fluent Thai in a couple of weeks and call the lady back?

You can't learn Thai in a couple of weeks.

I have known many people who can't speak Thai fluently even after 10 years in Thailand save for some basic sentences.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, EricTh said:

You can't learn Thai in a couple of weeks.

I have known many people who can't speak Thai fluently even after 10 years in Thailand save for some basic sentences.

Why would I learn Thai?

Nobody around me speaks central Thai ..... and that's the only language being taught.

• Like 1