Just had the COVID inspectors around checking on me.

MikeN

24 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Why would I learn Thai?

Nobody around me speaks central Thai ..... and that's the only language being taught.

Everyone in Thailand must learn central Thai regardless of locality.

The less educated ones might not remember what they were taught but government officials will certainly know central Thai. Otherwise, they won't be hired in the civil service.

2 hours ago, Ventenio said:

555.  but you are FARANG, so apparently you were born with covid and can instantaneously infect the world.  You are like a ticking time bomb, triggered from the motherland (even though that's not China).   

Or maybe they think all farangs hang out in Wuhan, it's easier for farangs to get the virus, and then easier for farangs to infect everyone.

now we know what it's like being a minority not wanted.  

interesting.  

No, No, NO, its the Chinese propaganda machine that has laid the blame for COVID-19 on the USA, and since the USA is a western Country, then all foreigners are lumped into the category of being Dirty Farang, and we all have the disease......see I said disease, no virus........The MOPH Minister Anutin has done more to harm us than to even help his own people with his statements.....our Disease is being a Dirty Foreigner......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

If they're working with foreigners maybe they should learn English, Thailand's official second language, before they're given the job?

I would like to see English as the official second language, but if you remember a few years back this was put forth and then shot down by the Thai Government......even though they want to hire many many Native English speakers to teach their children....Starting to think we live in the era of the movie "The King and I"........good ole Siam....

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Thailand official second language isn't English but the regional languages such as Isan, Northern Thai, Southern Thai.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_Thailand

You forgot the no speaking language of just shaking your head and saying "Uh"

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

That is a sad and unsettling story.

It's very unnerving how many people are reacting to this virus, and I think we are seeing the true faces of many raciest and ignorant people now, and it will only get worse.

It is not just here in Thailand by any means though.  

I also live in a small village, but there are a few farangs here.  There is a very small local bar we go to a couple times a week, for several years, and I know the owners and family really well, we all got along great all this time.  But, lately the attitude has changed of the owners there.  The female owner is so scared about the virus and told me we should in isolation in our house for 14 days.  I though she was joking at first, but sadly no.  last time we went back and they are all frantically washing their hands with some liquid soap every 5 minutes, and we did not do it... so they bought the dispenser to us.  

I found myself feeling compelled to do it, even though I read the bottle and it was only anti bacterial soap... nothing to do with viruses and it had only weak alcohol in it.. not enough to kill the virus.  Did I tell them they were all wasting their time using the useless stuff... no... I just played along with it to keep them happy.

It was clear that their attitude has changed toward us... and they are scared to come near us now (the lady in particular now does not chat to us and always sits as far away from out table as she can), because of the rubbish their have been watching on the TV and gossiping amongst themselves.  

ashing with soap and water isn't recomended for killing virus this one or any other. You wash your hands with soap to wash the virus away at least 20 seconds. Wash between the fingers and the finger nails and creases

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Logosone said:

There are many bar girls out of a job right now. A large percentage of these are highly proficient in pidgin English, German and Japanese. Why not hire these unfortunate girls as translators and send them with the government officials? That way these girls can also make some extra money and offer their usual services, while the government official waits outside in the sun.

Why not send the on their own, and allow them to earn some 'tips'. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Where did you get this info?  

You may be confusing viruses with bacteria.

I was under the impression that to kill most viruses (and the current one in the headlines) the hand sanitiser needs at lease 60 percent alcohol content.  The one they were using was just normal anti bacterial hand wash.... with a very low alcohol content.

Anyway, does not matter I suppose... as I made the token gesture of going alone with all the crown so as not to get singles out, which I think is what a lot of people are doing. 

The alcohol based products kill any viruses that may be present on your skin.

The regular soap based products don't kill viruses, but the action of extended washing and rubbing removes dirt, oils, virus materials off the surface of your skin. That's why the soap washing method has a 20-30 second duration recommendations.

Both methods can accomplish the purpose, if done the right way.

58 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

You think it might be connected to the Thai Health Minister Anutin, screaming about 'dirty farang and disease carrying < deleted> not once but REPEATEDLY?! 

I have been told this is only to deflect the fact the virus was spawned in Wuhan China. the initial carries and cluster cases were related to chinese and korean tourists, visitors and Thai illegal workers from those countries.

Or are you hearing something different?

Yes you are right and the fact Europe has become the epicentre so i can see why they are worried about tourists flying in

23 minutes ago, Chazar said:

stop  going there,  simple

Yes, you are right, and we won't be going back there any time soon.

But, that was not the point to my post.  It was that we have known and been close to these people for many years, and never had any problems.  In fact, we all got on really well, even going out on big bike trips together, going to music concerts, and family parties, etc.  It was rather depressing for me to find out that some people could so quickly change their attitude to another human being simply because they believed social media, gossip and misinformation on TV about the dangers of a virus, and are so quick to judge.  Then their attitude spread to others in the group like that.  

• Sad 1

Just now, scubascuba3 said:

Yes you are right and the fact Europe has become the epicentre so i can see why they are worried about tourists flying in

ahh so most of the Thai Covid19, AKA Wuhan virus,  cases trace back to Euro tourist as infectors. I should have known. I had been told they trace back to Chinese. The big lie eh.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think that everyone has missed the most important thing here.......This is the Year of the "Rat".  What vermin have carried disease from the beginning of time.........how about the black plague among others.  Now I am not saying that rats are responsible its just Ironic that we are in the year of the Rat and have this new nasty Corona Virus being spread from New Years on through the year as we speak.....It is the Year of the Rats fault....of course I say this in jest

deadly-dozen-and-then-some-diseases-tran

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I started a thread to guard people experiences a couple of days ago because I could sense a shift even up here in rural Isaan. 

Sadly it got closed due to it being deemed to being another Anutin thread, but I genuinely am interested in people’s experience as I personally have not experienced any anti foreign sentiment until this time albeit from a very small minority.

tbh I am hopefully back home next week and for the only time in the past 6 years I won’t be sorry, despite the woes back there. 

Edited by Kadilo

I had a similar experience from a recent trip to Isan.

I arrived back in Bangkok already however for the 4 days I was there I was monitored daily. First by a group of about 7 people as I mentioned here then daily by the village nurse who popped in to see if I had any symptoms yet.

I think they want to check everyone even Thais who return from travelling however what stumped me was the fact I had been i Thailand a month already. I guess  if the virus gets to those little villages with no resources and people living so close together this would cause them a big problem. 

We foreigners stand out and are easy to find and follow around hence why we are targeted -I truly believe its not because of racism - rather a fear of the virus.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The alcohol based products kill any viruses that may be present on your skin.

The regular soap based products don't kill viruses, but the action of extended washing and rubbing removes dirt, oils, virus materials off the surface of your skin. That's why the soap washing method has a 20-30 second duration recommendations.

Both methods can accomplish the purpose, if done the right way.

Actually the 30 second recommendation is because that is how long it takes for the higher pH of soap to begin to kill off bacteria that would not be mechanically removed. Less than 30 seconds there is little difference between using soap and using plain water, with the exception that in the case of substantial oils the soap can help it form colloids and be more easily removed.

The rule is that if you are not going to scrub for 30 seconds or so, there is not a significant bacterial advantage to using soap.

20 minutes ago, Monomial said:

Actually the 30 second recommendation is because that is how long it takes for the higher pH of soap to begin to kill off bacteria that would not be mechanically removed. Less than 30 seconds there is little difference between using soap and using plain water, with the exception that in the case of substantial oils the soap can help it form colloids and be more easily removed.

The rule is that if you are not going to scrub for 30 seconds or so, there is not a significant bacterial advantage to using soap.

https://www.sepsis.org/news/covid-19-infection-prevention-soap-and-water-or-hand-sanitizer/

This may assit those who do not remember how to properly wash hands.

• Like 2