Looking for update regarding savannakhet and issuance of non immigrant o (single-entry) visas

The laos consulate in bkk is issuing tourist visas, and as of today claims there should be no problem with a savvanakhet crossing "at this time" inferring i should be good for tomorrow or early next week.

I have such a visa issued today.

My question deals not with getting into laos, but the current state of affairs at the royal thai consulate itself.

I can get a certificate establishing that I am currently without any covid 19 symptoms, it is my understanding that the embassy  was requiring that today.

What concerns me is a report i read here (which i can not currently locate) that claimed they were processing visas but with a 2 week processing time.

A member reported his wife had spoken with officials in savannakhet and this was what he was told.

the consulate of course is not answering the phone, you get caught in a loop in the automated phone system.

has any the ability to confirm or deny any of this?

I had planned to go Sunday for a Monday application, but could conceivably be at the border by tomorrow am for pickup monday if they are issuing visas with the normal waiting period.

Failing that, is it possible to use an agent in vientiane (no appointments available) to get a visa processed without an appointment?

appreciate your input, if you have any genuine knowledge.

15 minutes ago, metempsychotic said:

What concerns me is a report i read here (which i can not currently locate) that claimed they were processing visas but with a 2 week processing time.

A member reported his wife had spoken with officials in savannakhet and this was what he was told.

Yep, that was me. I called the embassy myself after lunch because I thought it didn't sound right and the embassy official said as long as I have a medical certificate and all the paperwork is good I would be able to pick up my visa on Monday - but she didn't sound 100% confident. So as usual, I've had two conflicting reports within a couple of hours.

I'm going to submit my visa application tomorrow now that I have a health certificate so I'll come back here and update then. 

4 minutes ago, heist said:

I'm going to submit my visa application tomorrow now that I have a health certificate so I'll come back here and update then. 

I, too, would greatly appreciate an update tomorrow, as I was hoping to go to Savannakhet next week. Thank you!

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, heist said:

Yep, that was me. I called the embassy myself after lunch because I thought it didn't sound right and the embassy official said as long as I have a medical certificate and all the paperwork is good I would be able to pick up my visa on Monday - but she didn't sound 100% confident. So as usual, I've had two conflicting reports within a couple of hours.

i appreciate you coming back to me on this.  the strength of that im willing to roll the dice and spend the weekend in savarnakhet. fingas crossed. sigh

Edited by metempsychotic

10 minutes ago, Jimmy B said:

Savannakhet now requires a medical certificate? Going for a multiple 0 marriage visa next week (if still open). Where can I pick up the health certificate?

At the general hospital in Savannakhet - around the corner from Daosavanh Resort. Costs 70thb.

• Thanks 1

I am just leaving savanakett today, the whole place was a mess, frustrated people, staff not sure whats happening,  but it is changing daily and can and will change at anytime.  as of today no tourist visas,  all applications must have medical certificates period! They have a local doctor issuing them that the tuktuk drivers know about.  but if you go your adventure takes 3 days as people left the application forms returning following day with doc cert and day 3 getting visa.  friendship still opened and you get heat gunned both sides.  dont even think about coming if you have a temp.

57 minutes ago, MagnumForce said:

I, too, would greatly appreciate an update tomorrow, as I was hoping to go to Savannakhet next week. Thank you!

53 minutes ago, metempsychotic said:

i appreciate you coming back to me on this.  the strength of that im willing to roll the dice and spend the weekend in savarnakhet. fingas crossed. sigh

For many hours, one of the few firm pieces of news was that you could no longer get a visa on arrival for Laos. While I am now unsure of the truth of this (though it was an official Lao government announcement) be aware that entering Savannakhet without a visa in advance may not be possible.

EDIT: Those who are able to reach Savannakhet might want to ask the consulate whether, in view of the exceptional current circumstances, they are willing to issue visas the same day so you can return before potential border closures.

Edited by BritTim

55 minutes ago, BigT73 said:

all applications must have medical certificates period! They have a local doctor issuing them that the tuktuk drivers know about. 

Do they require a specific medical certificate template? If so, do the Savannakhet Consulate give you this? What language is it required to be in? 

Many thanks,

MF

3 hours ago, BritTim said:

For many hours, one of the few firm pieces of news was that you could no longer get a visa on arrival for Laos. While I am now unsure of the truth of this (though it was an official Lao government announcement) be aware that entering Savannakhet without a visa in advance may not be possible.

EDIT: Those who are able to reach Savannakhet might want to ask the consulate whether, in view of the exceptional current circumstances, they are willing to issue visas the same day so you can return before potential border closures.

Yes I spent today doing that at lao consulate bangkok.

And I doubt they will move on the same day visa thing but potential closure is the only reason I am traveling overnight to get there for friday. You are right it cant hurt to ask.

I also have a bangkok clinic issued cert of being clear of symptoms, hooefully that does the trick.

Given the amount of rejections I heard of yesterday for healt cert, im expecting it to be busy as <deleted> friday for a change.

Edited by metempsychotic

Today I went to the embassy to submit the visa application. They said it will be next day turnaround as normal - so I have no idea what the guy who said it would take 14 days was talking about.

There was a notice that ALL visa applications will have to have a medical certificate. This is available at the local hospital here in Savannakhet for 70 thb.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Please double check EVERYTHING on the medical certificate and also reciept. I didn't notice that they have written different dates on the receipt and medical certificate so had to go back to the hospital and get it changed. Another Thai came with us with the same problem. And the embassy staff said his wife works as a nurse there and they have been making a lot of mistakes. So double check everything before you leave.

I realize Laos has stopped issuing visas for the time being but maybe this information will be helpful to someone.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the update, Heist. So, they accepted your application?

Just a few more questions, if you please:

Did they ask for this US$100,000 insurance coverage as well as the health certificate?

What does it say on your health certificate - no symptoms of Covid-19 or no Covid-19?

Is the health certificate in Lao/Thai/English?

Do you foresee any problems getting back into Thailand on (I assume) Monday after picking up your visa?

Thanks again for sharing your experience with us in these difficult times. Greatly appreciated!

MF

• Like 1

No worries mate - always happy to help.

>So, they accepted your application?
Yes but I had to rush back to the hospital to get a new medical certificate with the correct dates on it. Someone else reported that they're only processing Non O visas at Savannakhet for the time being. 

>Did they ask for this US$100,000 insurance coverage as well as the health certificate?
No, no mention of insurance for the visa application

>What does it say on your health certificate - no symptoms of Covid-19 or no Covid-19?
"He doesn't have any sign or symptoms of COVID-19 in the last two weeks"

>Is the health certificate in Lao/Thai/English?
Engrish 

>Do you foresee any problems getting back into Thailand on (I assume) Monday after picking up your visa?
I have no doubt they'll want some document that I don't have but I'm just monitoring the news like everyone else. At least I have 3 weeks left on a visa here to try and meet any new requirements they might want.  

There was a government official on Lao Star last night saying they want to keep the remaining international borders open. It depends what restrictions Thailand issues between now and then. I'll post another update Monday or Tuesday after we've attempting the crossing at Friendship Bridge to let everyone know what's going on there. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was unable to make it to the border today in time to submit but did call the Thai embassy Savannakhet who said they would continue to issue non-o monday.

Re the health certificate it must be from a hospital one in bangkok is ok if issued within 72 hours.

cert from a clinic is unacceptable.

non bs are not being issues, your own country she said, unfortunately i neglected to ask about tourist visa

• Like 1

Non-Imm 'O' Multi-Entry is what I need, but it seems the greater problem might be getting back into Thailand, if successful getting into Laos and applying at Savannakhet. Hope to hear more from those of you who are in the thick of it today and Monday/Tuesday next week.

Many thanks again.

MF

• Like 1

3 hours ago, heist said:

Today I went to the embassy to submit the visa application. They said it will be next day turnaround as normal - so I have no idea what the guy who said it would take 14 days was talking about.

There was a notice that ALL visa applications will have to have a medical certificate. This is available at the local hospital here in Savannakhet for 70 thb.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Please double check EVERYTHING on the medical certificate and also reciept. I didn't notice that they have written different dates on the receipt and medical certificate so had to go back to the hospital and get it changed. Another Thai came with us with the same problem. And the embassy staff said his wife works as a nurse there and they have been making a lot of mistakes. So double check everything before you leave.

I realize Laos has stopped issuing visas for the time being but maybe this information will be helpful to someone.

hi mate kudos for being one of the very few sources of good information.

re med cert and receipt, what receipt is this? i sopke to savannakhet on phone about 20 mins ago, they said med cert from bkk hospital was good, but must have been issued within 72 hours of application.

is it your visa receipt?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, metempsychotic said:

hi mate kudos for being one of the very few sources of good information.

re med cert and receipt, what receipt is this?

is it your visa receipt?

Thanks for your kind words - It's like a cashiers receipt and was stapled to the front of my medical certificate - it showed how much I paid and what date I paid it. Not sure why it was relevant but they told me to go back to the hospital because the dates didn't match. 

9 minutes ago, heist said:

Thanks for your kind words - It's like a cashiers receipt and was stapled to the front of my medical certificate - it showed how much I paid and what date I paid it. Not sure why it was relevant but they told me to go back to the hospital because the dates didn't match. 

thanks again