Laying A Solid Wood Floor On Concrete Slab

stevehaigh

i plan to lay a solid teak wood T&G strip floor on a concrete slab above grade. the T&G strips are 4x20cm. i plan to use the plywood on slab method rather than the sleaper method because the strips are quite small and i don't like the idea of hollow caveties between the concrete and the floor you would get with sleapers.

so my question is, having layed the vapour barrier and the ply, should i nail or glue or both the teak strips to the plywood? anyone have any experience with this?

thx steve

Nail it.

Solid wood floors are in general not designed to be 'floating' such as a laminated floor or what have you.

If you have 'tongue and groove' floor planks than the idea is to get the first row in place, and then nail gun through the groove to keep it in place. Floow suit across the installation.

Dont use too many nails as you do have to allow for expansion and contraction.

I love topics like this because they're very manly and I don't really have any traditional skills like this. So I like to learn the jargon. I can only do post modern things like operate a Blackberry and get high scores on Playstations. My Father had his own circular saw and a cornucopia of planes and chisels

I'm contemplating buying a power drill as its the sort of masculine thing one should have when one's libido is fading (as mine is). I wouldn't know what to do with it though, it all seems very whizzy and noisy, but like I say, an important man-accessory.

If Google works in your area, enter: "how do I install a wood plank floor". Amazing!!

A bit harsh as he was only asking for advice but sarcasm (it has been said) is the lowest form of wit but sometimes the funniest.

was that supposed to be funny? i thought it was just dumb. of course i check google first like eveyone else, that's why i asked on this forum, there is nothing that addresses solid wook plank floors on concrete slab in a tropical climate like this that i can find. i was asking for peoples experiences, not some dumb ass comment about using google!

I agree with Steve, although he didn't make it clear he was looking specifically for advice here in the tropics the fact that he lists Koh Phangan as his residence and he posted it here in Thai Visa would make on think that perhaps he is looking for local information as opposed to google.

Smart aleck responses only ensure that the topic gets diverted rather than address the issue.

Sorry, Steve, can't help you here, as we are still just on cement floors. But hopefully you can get more useful and pertinent information in time.

If Google works in your area, enter: "how do I install a wood plank floor". Amazing!!

A bit harsh as he was only asking for advice but sarcasm (it has been said) is the lowest form of wit but sometimes the funniest.

was that supposed to be funny? i thought it was just dumb. of course i check google first like eveyone else, that's why i asked on this forum, there is nothing that addresses solid wook plank floors on concrete slab in a tropical climate like this that i can find. i was asking for peoples experiences, not some dumb ass comment about using google!

Not sure if was meant to be funny but it made me smile. Anyway back on topic…you can glue parquet flooring onto cement floors quite easily but I suspect that planks would experience problems due to expansion and contraction caused by changes in both temperature and humidity. Try talking to your local timber supplier for more advice.