BTS wants everyone in a mask

snoop1130

1 hour ago, Jip99 said:

I think irrespective of the facts about how a virus is transmitted, wearing a mask is a visible message, and a reminder, of Covid-19 and may just keep people's attention. 

Who on earth do you think needs reminding of it right now?

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Great idea.

Do they also supply a list of shops which don't have "no masks" signs?

Today I wanted to buy masks: Out of stock, out of stock, out of stock, ...

At least in the past, a BTS rider could request and receive a single free drugstore mask from the BTS staff at the ticket counters. BTS publicly mentioned they were going to do this early on in the CV outbreak, but I've never seen anything at the stations themselves advertising/offering that.

1 hour ago, smedly said:

there have been masks floating around recycled from hospital waste 

washed in a washing machine by the 100's - ironed and repackaged 

very hygienic

There was one case reported a week or so ago, are you referring to more recent examples that there's evidence of?

54 minutes ago, Chazar said:

so USELESS then , what youd  really have to do is wipe EVERY  surface  touched by every  person EVERYTIME  they touch it so non stop all day,  impossible

All a rider really has to do is avoid touching their nose, mouth, eyes from the time they leave home, hopefully after having sanitized their hands, until they reach the next point where they can again sanitize their hands.  And these days, pretty much every BTS station has an alcohol hand gel/spray dispenser that everyone can use when they enter or exit the system. So it's really pretty easy to manage, especially if you're wearing a mask, hopefully N95, or drugstore variety if nothing else is available.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

All a rider really has to do is avoid touching their nose, mouth, eyes from the time they leave home, hopefully after having sanitized their hands, until they reach the next point where they can again sanitize their hands.  And these days, pretty much every BTS station has an alcohol hand gel/spray dispenser that everyone can use when they enter or exit the system. So it's really pretty easy to manage, especially if you're wearing a mask, hopefully N95, or drugstore variety if nothing else is available.

Richard Barrow posted this today from his flight back to Bangkok...

Protection.jpg.111f337c941461e2de9591eb857fd2da.jpg

55 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

+1

I posted weeks ago that everyone should stock up on some masks but as expected, got shouted down by resident medical experts. 
I think all public places (BTS, malls, supermarkets etc) should ban entry to anyone without a mask. 

How many do you have?

53 minutes ago, EricTh said:

A few days ago, I asked a customer with a cough to wear a mask at Makro supermarket. Then somebody butted in and said 'it's not necessary to wear'.

Are you a cashier there?   If not, don't you think that you were just butting in also?

2 hours ago, smedly said:

I think the main point here is - does wearing a mask put you at more risk of infection - probably not

Really  I  bet ya  anything that Thais wearing masks  will actually touch their faces  more than even normal with  no mask, forever  see them fiddling with them,  pulling  them down to shove food  in or  check their  make  up, WHO say when removing a mask DONT touch it at the front, replace when damp............wouldnt take  long to get damp either here.

12 hours ago, Crossy said:

Want to ride the train, wear a mask.

We all know it makes no odds but just do it, it's not like it's going to cost you much.

Assuming that is, you can actually find a mask to wear.

I have one and have been using it for 2 weeks now....Every pharmacy ... "Mai Mee". There was one place in Fortune Town that had a sign saying a supply would be in at 4 PM....at 2 PM there was a queue forming about 40 people.....insane....BTS/MRT should distribute if they want compliance.

My understanding is that this is currently a "request" by BTS and they are not going to deny anyone boarding if they don't have one (one does assume that security will act if someone is actively coughing everywhere and showing signs of fever etc.).

Do note that lurking in the terms of use BTS do have the right to deny carriage, so masks becoming a "requirement" is possible in the future. 

I wear a cheap surgical mask when out in public, but purely to avoid the "dirty farang" evil eye, I know it will have zero effect on the bug.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Tell me what isn´t?

I tink, you tink too mutt

Thailand's MRT and BTS are absolutely awesome systems the cleanest in the world, safe, and efficient. What shall I compare to? London? NYC? Sure not as large, but do people here really want say they think MRT and BTS are run by idiots? Obviously not people who ride the trains here, or if they do and are unhappy, they have never experienced being an everyday train rider in Manhattan.

I really cannot understand why BTS, MTS and busses are still allowed to operate! If the Thai Govt. is really serious about stemming the rise of Coronavirus, all of the overcrowded public transport systems should be closed down immediately. Its not about masks, its about infected surfaces like hand rails and grab handles. 

5 hours ago, Mickeem said:

It seems many are just wearing them so as not to be seen without one .. pulling them down to let out a huge wet sneeze or a good old lung busting cough without even considering to cover their mouths

Or  with as bag of  chicken  pulling it  down for every  mouthful as I saw yesterday

14 minutes ago, WalkingOrders said:

Thailand's MRT and BTS are absolutely awesome systems the cleanest in the world, safe, and efficient. What shall I compare to? London? NYC? Sure not as large, but do people here really want say they think MRT and BTS are run by idiots? Obviously not people who ride the trains here, or if they do and are unhappy, they have never experienced being an everyday train rider in Manhattan.

so why for  years did  they only run 3  carriages when they needed  4 and now they have 4  they really need  6, its  pretty  grim in the morning with people pushing to get on.

13 hours ago, Chazar said:

so USELESS then , what youd  really have to do is wipe EVERY  surface  touched by every  person EVERYTIME  they touch it so non stop all day,  impossible

Are the on train announcement still telling passengers to hold stanchions and hold straps and not lean on stanchions? 

It will be the contact that gets you not the lack of a mask.

1 hour ago, WalkingOrders said:

So, you feel the need to chose something you think is more bad to be able to say that everything is okey, or is it a possibility that both systems are run by idiots? Just that one system is not mannen by full blown lunatics, but the other is.

12 hours ago, Jip99 said:
16 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Who on earth do you think needs reminding of it right now?

The Thais................................. have you noticed them by any chance?

Yes, I have. 

You can't mean that Thais aren't aware of the situation, obviously, so perhaps you could expand on what your profound statement actually means? 

2 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Yes, I have. 

You can't mean that Thais aren't aware of the situation, obviously, so perhaps you could expand on what your profound statement actually means? 

Many Thais are ignorant/oblivious to the situation with many carrying on 'normal' life regardless. Songkran to some extent will happen in the provinces and there will be gatherings of Thais.

They need reminding at every opportunity - as do many Farangs who also fail to recognise the potential seriousness of the situation. On Wednesday this week in my locale a bar (that has a food licence) held and publicized a party for the owners wife. I understand 20+ attended (Thais and Farangs).

Do you put that in the aware/smart category ? 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jip99 said:

Many Thais are ignorant/oblivious to the situation with many carrying on 'normal' life regardless. Songkran to some extent will happen in the provinces and there will be gatherings of Thais.

They need reminding at every opportunity - as do many Farangs who also fail to recognise the potential seriousness of the situation. On Wednesday this week in my locale a bar (that has a food licence) held and publicized a party for the owners wife. I understand 20+ attended (Thais and Farangs).

Do you put that in the aware/smart category ? 

Many Thais are ignorant/oblivious to the situation..."

Really, says who and where has that been reported?  Interesting that your crystal ball allows you to see into the future and make allegations around Songkran events that haven't yet happened.  Well done.

So you're quoting hearsay about a bar that held a party that you did not attend and, obviously, could not see the attendees and the proximity they may have had to each other or the precautions they may have taken and from that you deduce that they represent "the Thais"? They don't, they represent the the people at that party, not "the Thais" as a nation.  Well done, again, and do you put that in the aware/smart category?